Unit of the Week: Scout Bike Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Scout Bike Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_107489.jpg
Scout Bikes, Majkhel

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Scout Bike Squad?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • MSU or full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule? Will you be running multiple units?
  • How would you make use of Turbo Boost?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

It seems the BA codex is different to vanilla and you can not give your scout biker sergeants a shotgun, the biker’s twin bolter and a combi-weapon. :(

I was about to post about that dakka-heavy combination but checked the BA Codex and found out that you can’t do it...

Erm, sorry.

I am really tempted by some Scout bikes, particular now that Bolter Discipline has made their long-range firepower more significant.

For me, the big question is how they shape up in comparison to Bolter Inceptors who fill a very similar niche. Scout Bikers are slightly faster, Inceptors have fly. Scouts have slightly longer range but Inceptors have slightly heavier firepower. Scouts are about 2/3 the price of Inceptors but Inceptors are tougher.

I really like Scout bikers and the only reason I have not invested in any is because I have Inceptors to fill the role. If I didn't have Inceptors or I particularly needed cheap Fast Attack units (e.g. filling a Brigade) I would have no hesitation in bringing a squad or two of these boys.

In a kill-based game, they are great at clearing chaff screens to allow our heavy units to assault on demand. They also have 2 attacks each thanks to their Combat Knives so with Red Thirst, they can threaten small support units in assault. In Objective missions, they can rapidly move to sieze objectives or clear small infantry squads off. Plenty of armies leave MSU squads in their deployment zones to babysit objectives and Scout Bikers are ideal for clearing out small units of cultists or similar units that might otherwise try and hide from bigger guns.

Edited by Karhedron

That's because he already comes with one :)

No, I mean the vanilla scout biker sergeant has the twin bolter, a shotgun and a bolt pistol...and can replace the pistol with a combi-weapon. But the BA scout biker sergeant can only replace his bolt pistol with a different type of pistol or a melee weapon. No combi :(

Twin bolter, shotgun and a combi-flamer up close is a lot of S4.

For me bikers are a cheap fill-in of the Battalion and a harassing outrider unit. Whenever possible, I keep them cheap although I admit I have a magnetized TH on the Sarge just for the fun of it.
I usually treat them as support for my other Scouts, preferably the choppy ones. After initial charges they either search for opportunity targets (other skirmishers or lone vehicles, as with the size of their bases they can lock down units easily) or can go secure objectives.

They are durable for what people usually throw at them.

When compared to Inceptors, I'd say that they are more survivable. That's because:
- they are less flashy, have less of a reputation and do not attract that much firepower,
- they are easier to hide due to lower profile and smaller base width.
- scouts are faster.

In terms of combat, Inceptors are better at shooting because they are more focused. Scout bikers are more jack-of-all-trades unit. They can shoot after advancing, but only with shotguns and AGL, if you want to pay for it (I don't).
Bolter discipline made them better at long range now, but they get the most out of their shooting at closer range than Inceptors.

In CC, both are close, but I would say that scouts move ahead due to Sarge being able to get a proper combat weapon (like cheap TH! :biggrin.: ) in addition to his combat knife. There is also a cluster mine strat (that's D3 MW on 2+).
Inceptors have their charge MW on 6s ability, so let's call that one even due to no CP cost and not needing to survive a round of combat.

Edited by Majkhel

I find their better than inceptors since you can leverage their firepower turn one, where inceptors are realistically in reserve till turn 2.

It's a lot of bolter shots on a mobile platform that's moderately durable, but folds hard to over charged plasma.

Make sure your opponent has something else he wants to aim the big guns at, or they'll just evaporate.

Only 4+ armor means AP-3 2 damage shots just removes them.

But they make excellent screen clearers, throw a storm bolter on the sarge, move up aggressively, shoot some infantry, charge what survived the bullet hail, profit.

Scout bikes enjoy a real sweet spot combining firepower, speed, reasonable toughness all at a reasonable price point. The only real weakness I can think of is terrain shenanigans and overcharge plasma/autocannon spam. Solid choice in any list scout bikers can do it all without breaking the bank. Use of models like these can really show off the skill and knowledge of an experienced general. Or teach a new one some tricks!

How to use though? Mine keep getting own away far too quickly just to target priority or because I'm too aggressive :/

Given we'll be in melee range for maximum shooting effect, perhaps a melee weapon on the Sergeant?

What is their preferred target(s)? Screens? MSU?

What is their preferred target(s)? Screens? MSU?

I think it depends on the mission. If you are going for a head on fight then chaff clearance is a good role. Otherwise targetting small units like Devastators or backfield objective campers is likely to give the best results.

Remember their strengths but also their weaknesses. A basic squad is just 3 models so throwing them against even a modest horde will see them eaten for breakfast. Similarly, targeting about unit with multi-damage weaponry (shooting or melee) will see them taken out in short order.

They are cheap, fast and relatively shooty so I would use them as a bully unit. Work them on the flanks if possible and pick on small squads that are trying to hide from the main action. Their shooting will take out about 5 Ork boyz on average which is respectable for their points but you really don't want to be taking on any units with 10+ wounds or multi-damage weapons.

Our army has no shortage of kingslayers but Scout bikers fill a different role. They are support and harassment. Having said that there is nothing wrong with committing them to melee if the circumstances require it. Sometimes tying up a shooty unit for a turn can be worth the loss of the squad if it means something else doesn't eat a faceful of lascannon fire. Alternatively, if they are hanging near the enemy, it will make it harder for your opponent to shoot any Captain Smashes or Libby Dreads after they have killed their targets as the bikers can screen characters.

They really do fulfill the old adage of "shoot the choppy, chop the shooty". The bases are quite big too so you can cover a large area in your opponents zone and tagging multiple units with charges/ consolidation can remove firepower for a turn against your more precious units.

If your opponent divides any attention to them, it's probably only going to benefit you (outside of giving up a kill point in some missions) but I'd imagine their job is done by that point.

On the subject of comparing to Inceptors - they benefit deep strike, potential mortal wounds without spending CP and the versatility of the FLY keyword, which is especially useful for falling back and still shooting without penalty - but due to the nature of the models (Primaris, obvious threat) are probably an easier target for your opponent.

I have been testing out bikes quite a bit as of late. After the beta bolter and point changes on normal bikes i much prefer them over scout bikes. Since they can sit back more and get the 2+ save with prepared potition. Though scout bikes are still great, i think the regular ones are a bit more viable now. Just my take, your milage my vary!

I have been testing out bikes quite a bit as of late. After the beta bolter and point changes on normal bikes i much prefer them over scout bikes. Since they can sit back more and get the 2+ save with prepared potition. Though scout bikes are still great, i think the regular ones are a bit more viable now. Just my take, your milage my vary!

A good point. The bolter portion of a combi-bolter also gains the same benefit on the biker serg for a couple of extra shots.

Scout bikers get more firepower and attacks up close though which is a benefit. Regular bikers seem like a harassment unit designed to kite the enemy at long range. Biker Scouts can move in for the kill (at least against small squads).

Edited by Karhedron

• 4 months later...

I like playing with scout bikes for all the reasons stated by others.

But i do wonder is having a max size of scout bikes worth it as support for captain on bike?

You can build lists around them that are pretty decent. But you have to remember that they get expensive pretty quickly. I had a list when 8th dropped that ran three max-sized units with twin bolters and shot guns. It was a pretty damn good list. With the rules as they are today they have only got stronger. 

I don't think you want a captain on bike though. Save the captain for your units that are smashing big stuff. These guys pump out so many shots that they don't really need the support of a captain. I would look into something like this..

Battalion & Spearhead

[HQ] Cpt Smash (Reserve)

[HQ] Lib in Term Armor (Reserve)

[HQ] Cpt in Term Armor (Reserve)

[T] Tac Squad w/ Heavy Flamer in Rhino (10-man) (Break into two squads at start of game)

[T] Tac Squad w/ Heavy Flamer in Rhino (10-man) (Break into two squads at start of game)

[T] Tac Squad w/ Heavy Flamer in Rhino (10-man) (Break into two squads at start of game)

[FA] Scout Bike Squad Shotguns & Twin-Bolters (9-man)

[HS] Tri-Lascannon Predator x3

[HS] Flamer Baal Pred x3

Edited by Aothaine