Civitas Imperialis Spires - Whats in the box!?

I just received my box of spires and thought I would show whats inside so you can decide whether it is for you.

Box

UmqZVm7m.jpg Pk36iuEm.jpg

Open Box A

CiVZ0SSm.jpg?1

Open Box B

oTf4dNqm.jpg?1

There are two sprues that are the same

tpXz7OCm.jpg?2 mm47Sydm.jpg?1 KjdsvwBm.jpg?1

Instructions

nHDALwFm.jpg?1 PnVX5L6m.jpg?1 KDgQ8aQm.jpg?1

The plastic is nice and thick so I will get back to this when I have built them.

Edited by Black_Knight

There isn't as much fundamental choice with these as there is with the main building set, so these really fly together. Still, there's a lot of room for conversion if one opted to. Wonderful kit.

I don't think they are very convertible but they do allow you to convert other stuff. I am thinking maybe another one of these and two more scenery sets and that should be more than enough for my board.

As always, Black Knight, you do the Emperors work.

I’ve been thinking I’d like to have my own table for AT. I’m going to get a 4x4 mousepad game mat but if I have the GME scenery, what would you recommend I add to it? One box of spires and one of the big Civitas boxes? Then add some of those FW scatter doodads when they come out?

Tiny trees and styrofoam blocks for simple apartment buildings work. You know those electrical outlet boxes? Simple factory. Soda cans with straws between them? Refinery and pumping station.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-viewimage.jsp?i=757507

Edited by Fajita Fan

They are a very nice addition to the range.

There is indeed room for conversions, especially when combined with other material. For those who like being able to switch the tops, 3x1mm or 2x1mm magnets are probably a good choice.

I have two boxes of them and I'll definitely add more.

I’ve been thinking I’d like to have my own table for AT. I’m going to get a 4x4 mousepad game mat but if I have the GME scenery, what would you recommend I add to it? One box of spires and one of the big Civitas boxes? Then add some of those FW scatter doodads when they come out?

It depends on the number and size of buildings you want. The big box is basically 2x the GME scenery plus the small spires box.

The main thing I had to learn is that although the scenery you get(I just have the GME so far) looks like a lot, you really need to build UPwards! Something you might not do in 40k. You really need to build multiple levels to give some blocking to your warlords etc. This is why I got the spires it really does give that extra vertical scenery. A single GME scenery will give you the right amount of ground level buildings but you will need more to build it up.

If the extra large box of scenery is double the GME then that might be enough to fit your board but I wouldn't be able to tell you if you would need another small box of scenery or just the spires would finish it off. Are they even selling the small box now? You are going to have to eyeball it.

I have yet to buy a big mat for any of my games and have my eyes set on this as it works for Titanicus too Titanicus Mat.

GME may not have been the best model pack but it is definitely the best starting box to get the whole experience.

EDIT: OOhh just noticed the combined big pack, didn't realise that was a thing.

Edited by Black_Knight

A couple of people at my club have that gaming mat Black_Knight it's really good, the extra 2ft is good for putting the command terminals down. 

A couple of people at my club have that gaming mat Black_Knight it's really good, the extra 2ft is good for putting the command terminals down. 

They do that same mat in 4x4 - Gamemat EU I think is the manufacturer. Was going to get that size as I like the idea of clear game area edges.

I am 6x4 because of all the releases recently, I cannot afford two massive mats, so one city map will do my wife and I until later on. I really want an Industrial one at a later date.

I originally saw it from Deep Cut Studio but since Wayland now do free International postage on £60+, it has become my main supplier of plastic crack. Even when its classified as Bulky its still cheaper to buy from them, just make sure your items are instock or are pre-order or you may have some waiting time.

Thanks Reyner, justifying purchases is always good :D I am not sure what the differences is between PVC and Mousemat but I will pay the extra.

My want of more scenery, a new accessory frame and the thought I'd been harbouring of starting a traitor legio, has made me think that make buying another GME might makes sense. I think the only bit I can't use is the book and maybe the templates (but nice to have a spare set). As my gaming buddy is looking to start, I could even pass the bits I don't need on to him.

Am at my FLGS tonight for a game of 40k, god help my wallet if they still have one in stock! Maybe I will try to resist as there's plenty of other cool stuff coming soon!

You might be out of luck I haven't seen any websites that say they have run out :D, that second batch must of been a big one. I wanted to buy the £100 titan box, that should be more than enough for me.

I am not sure what the differences is between PVC and Mousemat but I will pay the extra.

PVC gaming mats are essentially the same material as those vinyl banners you see in shops or at conventions, whereas the mouse mat material is exactly what you’d expect, a thicker foam with a fabric top. PVC can get creased more easily and doesn’t sit flat easily. The mouse mat ones can still get creased, but unless you’re really abusing it, they tend to fall out much easier and quicker as the material is heavier. From experience of X-Wing gaming mats, mouse mat is far superior if you’re less worried about budget. If money is tight the PVC is perfectly serviceable, but really not as nice.

They don't match any of the three different heights from the previous kit. This said, you can cheat a little bit with plasticard or another material to have them line up better. Using them to give larger buildings rounded corners is, imho, achievable but this is definitely not straightforward. The one depicted in step 9 of the instructions booklet would probably work best for that  but you'll have to add a column to the right to have something symmetrical (or remove the one to the left).

My feeling is that the one depicted in steps 1 to 3 seems a bit off scale when compared to the others.

Thanks Mendi - that's really helpful! I'm thinking about using them on various already constructed structures to vary the visual, but keeping them removable so I can change as appropriate - I'm guessing this is therefore doable?

I think it can be done. The two at the extreme left and right in the picture have, imho, the best components to use as they are relatively flat and symmetrical. They could be added (with magnets for instance) to a flat foamboard or plasticard surface embedded in a larger structure using the civitas imperialis components.