Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cubicle 7 taking over 40k RPG!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 749 posts
https://www.belloflo...er-at-last.html

As reported on BOLS, Cubicle 7 is going to be in charge of the 40k rpg, Wrath and Glory. I think this is great news. In my opinion the current Wrath and Glory has poor attention to detail and overall was disappointing, especially when compared to the quality of the Fantasy RPG put out by Cubicle 7. Can’t wait to see what they do with the license!

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept
No clue who Cubicle 7 are to be honest.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,740 posts

No clue who Cubicle 7 are to be honest.

They are a good RPG studio
They di the One Ring RPG and WHFB RPG among the others
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,045 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
Oh, as in they're taking it off Ulisses? Dissapointing for them, but their version didn't really make me want to try it out (I can't for the life of me imagine a gang of a spce marine, commissar and sister of battle for example)

WFBRPG4 seems to have gone back to its roots of WFBRPG1 and WFBRPG2 :)
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

The Pariah

The Pariah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 513 posts
  • Faction: Deciding on a new path...

Oh, as in they're taking it off Ulisses? Dissapointing for them, but their version didn't really make me want to try it out (I can't for the life of me imagine a gang of a spce marine, commissar and sister of battle for example)
WFBRPG4 seems to have gone back to its roots of WFBRPG1 and WFBRPG2 :)

I will say, for myself and my group of friends, we all are pretty new to RPGs in general but we really enjoyed the sessions we managed to do before people started moving around/exams kicking in. The only problem I had was that Ulisses had gone dark for the better part of a year with no communication between them and the community. I'm just glad to actually hear some news.
  • Stoic Raptor likes this

gallery_48988_15465_38466.png

Click here to see my WIP log.

New Blog coming soon.

Formerly Dizzyeye

Ezr91aeL

Ezr91aeL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 421 posts
  • Faction: Custodes

It's too late. Wrath&Glory was not the game I wanted: It wasn't a difficult and mortal game where every bullet in your pocket counts and horror stalks you but a light thing based on easy narration and glorious acts, where players were not afraid of a group of cultists and the ammo in your magazine are not based on your judgment but on a roll check.

• Lanparth likes this

XE7g3TN.jpg2NgmmVH.jpgYlmK7vQ.jpgJfEE2FS.jpg

Lanparth

Lanparth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 630 posts

It's too late. Wrath&Glory was not the game I wanted: It wasn't a difficult and mortal game where every bullet in your pocket counts and horror stalks you but a light thing based on easy narration and glorious acts, where players were not afraid of a group of cultists and the ammo in your magazine are not based on your judgment but on a roll check.

I've run multiple Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, and Black Crusade Games. It has depth, and its an amazing series of games. I've also run WFB 2.0 games as well. Love all of them.

I had 0 interest in Wrath and Glory. Even with C7 taking it over, the core of the game is fundamentally something I don't want to play. WFB 4th edition was good, though the one complaint I have is your less likely to die in it.

• Iron Father Ferrum, Lord Marshal, D3L and 1 other like this

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 749 posts

Yeah I am very interested in what 'revised' means.  I don't hate the concept of Wrath and Glory.

I do think the rulebook was a total failure in terms of selling the setting or feeling of 40k.  If you weren't intimately familiar with the game you probably would have been totally lost, and if you ARE familiar with the game then it needed to do a better job of addressing the comments above.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts

Yea im ride or die Dark Heresy and all the FF stuff. I'm open to trying W&G but I'm with a lot of you that it didn't really grab me on concept.

I've been trying to hack together a Necromunda Blades in the dark game for my group that may someday get played this century.

• Tipsy Techpriest likes this

golfdeltafoxtrot

golfdeltafoxtrot

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard
I’m hopeful that Cubicle 7 can do something to redeem W&G. I’ve bought a lot of their stuff and it’s pretty good.

I was very excited for a new 40KRPG, having bought and played all six previous iterations (and even updated DH1 to structure it better at about the time Black Crusade came out), but W&G has been a big disappointment. It doesn’t really achieve any of the things I want from a 40KRPG and isn’t particularly well written.

I suppose what I really want is DH3, but I’m not sure how realistic an expectation that is at this point.

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,351 posts

Yeah, guys, I too was following the unfolding saga of Ulisses-North America's negotiations with GW.  So here's the official post in full, I just highlighted some things you guys mentioned, and just one detail I was wondering about myself.  It's a broader issue with GW licensing its IP as a whole.

Games Workshop is pleased to announce that award-winning publisher Cubicle 7 Entertainment is to produce Warhammer 40,000 roleplaying games. 

Cubicle 7 CEO Dominic McDowall said, ”Warhammer 40K is a huge chunk of our gamer DNA so we are all incredibly excited to build on the long legacy of 40K RPGs. I’ve been a 40K fanatic since the first edition, so I am absolutely delighted to bring our brand of roleplaying to this amazing setting.”

The initial range of products will be a revised reprint of the Wrath & Glory Core Rulebook and an extensive range of supplements covering exciting new areas, as well as revisiting beloved old favourites. Cubicle 7 hope that their track record of producing beautiful and immersive licensed games that capture the feel of their settings – including Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay – will appeal to Warhammer 40K gamers old and new. 

Cubicle 7 is working with Ulisses’ Wrath & Glory design team to deliver the titles already planned for the game. Ulisses will continue to publish the German language edition of Wrath & Glory, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and the Warhammer Age of Sigmar roleplaying games, in partnership with Cubicle 7.

Cubicle 7’s new license comes on the back of a year of enormous growth for the company, with a huge increase in staffing and capability to deliver its range of best-selling game lines.

What I highlighted in gold is exactly what you guys have been talking about.  The BoLS article focuses on how AoS and 40k RPG licenses are now under the same organisation...which is true, but I agree with you, it's probably not going to change the fundamental nature of Wrath & Glory.

I remember feeling the game seemed rushed to publication (like what was said about attention to detail), in that there were a few typos and some game mechanics that didn't seem playtested (they did rightly FAQ a lot of stuff, official rules changed as we played week by week...but that just shows how rushed it was).  That aspect, imho, can be improved with a revised reprint to includes the changes and better editing.

But it's also clearly not a change in direction.  Cubicle7's still planning to deliver what was already planned.  I'm of 2 minds on this.

On the 1 hand, I too felt Wrath & Glory didn't feel like a grimdark RPG, it felt like a D&D campaign using 40k terminology.  I remember joking light-heartedly that it was less the successor to Dark Heresy than it was a Neverwinter Nights (an old D&D computer game that was famously highly moddable) mod made to resemble 40k.  I felt like a low-level Cleric cosplaying as a Tech Priest.

On the other, it was GREAT for the group I played it with.  They were all existing AoS/40k players, but most never played a RPG before, and they found the system intuitive with just d6s.  There were just all sorts of nuances but even if they didn't understand, they'd roll with it.  IMHO the game was designed for this sort of player, familiar with 40k but not tabletop RPGs.  It's like an entry-level RPG, and I think they positioned it that way, and they seem to be following through.

As a result, whether or not you're the type of RPer of the experience level that Wrath & Glory is going for, and I myself am not, I'm just glad GW understands how Wrath & Glory is positioned, because there are absolutely players in that space, and they're sticking with their guns.  I think it's actually worse if they wavered.

+++++

What I highlighted in green was of interest to me because it's not just about the direction of this particular game, but GW's overall licensing strategy now.  There WAS that radio-silence period and it seemed very awkward following a lot of hype for the game.  Were they wrangling over the licensing deal, like GW's royalties?  Did GW just treat it as a profit deal?  Were they just pushing deadlines?

It seems to be a friendly break-up, even though GW's with Cubicle7 now, they're still friends with Ulisses to provide the German translation, and the point is it wasn't exactly over money, but it was over resources.  I remember my friends who were still interested in Wrath & Glory mentioned there was a sudden stop in everything.  People kept on digging and it was eventually announced that there were re-negotiations, but radio-silence began way before that.

In retrospect, and respectfully, it seems like the radio-silence was what caused the re-negotiations to begin with.  There did seem to be a lack of staffing and capability to deliver on Wrath & Glory from Ulisses, probably through no fault of their own.

Here's what I've learned about Ulisses.  The main/parent company, Ulisses Spiele, is the German publisher/localisation/distributor for stuff like D&D and Pathfinder...reminds me a lot of how GW started in the UK.  And like GW, it became more interested in developing its own games over time.  It was already offloading licensing/translation deals to another company in Germany.

Then it has this division in the U.S./North America, Ulisses-North America, and it's actually quite popular among the Kickstarter/indie RPG crowd.  Ulisses basically gathered a bunch of veteran game developers from D&D, FFG, White Wolf Games, who left those companies to do their own projects and Ulisses provided them that space.  They create their own setting, put it on Kickstarter, then publish it with Ulisses.  That's what Ulisses wants to do, that's the type of team they got, what it's optimised for.

As a result, that's probably not whom you want to license the 40k RPG rights to anymore, but I totally understand GW's logic at the time was.  It wasn't so much about Ulisses as it was loyally following Ross Watson, the Dark Heresy designer who went there, and who still has a number of personal projects going with Ulisses.  I'm guessing, and will be watching, if he'll remain basically a freelancer working with Cubicle7 to continue Wrath & Glory while doing his own great stuff with Ulisses, like if the post is including him as part of its growth in staffing, etc.

That's commendable, seems to be lots of cooperation across parties here.  It's like a re-organisation, but instead of firing people, they're doing what a re-org is supposed to and moving people to where they can continue to work and do so better.  It's complicated even within one's own company, but it's like 3 companies working together to figure this out.  This was almost certainly a lot of meetings and phone calls and handshakes being made all around.  I hope it works out.

+++++

In conclusion, the particular news is about a RP game, but the broader issue is GW's licensing deals.

It happens just today there was a Steam sale for a lot of Warhammer PC games.  Looking through the list, there's a lot of not-great games, I was reminded how GW was handing out licensing deals like paper mats, no strategy other than "if they pay us a percentage, they get a license," no quality control.

And no teamwork.  People talk about business relationships, which sounds awfully like "not what you know, but whom you know", but it's just teamwork, basic cooperation and coordination stuff.  The value of the Warhammer IP has to be looked after, and the easiest way to do so is to work directly with the licensees.

That's the change in GW I'm noticing here.  It'd have been easier for GW to wiggle out of the license, on the pretext of certain conditions were not met, etc.  Instead it tried to work through them with 2 different companies, even making sure everyone can split the pie some.  Multilateral deals are a nightmare.

This is a broader issue than Wrath & Glory itself.  Part of me also wonders if it'd be better to start from scratch...but there's no guarantee a totally fresh 40k RPG would be any better.  However, the way GW is working with its licensing partners seems to have improved for sure.  Moving forward, 2 things I'm looking out for:

1. How much better will the "revised" version be, because how much better CAN it be?  This is beyond just Wrath & Glory, it's almost like an experiment to see how a game can be improved with better editing, which isn't just proofreading, but the management of the whole writing process.

2. Any personnel movement, etc.  Will designer Ross Watson join or be retained as lead designer of Wrath & Glory as I'm guessing he will?  Will there be a team, even a shared team like a group of playtesters who try out all Cubicle7's games, work with him?

Those answers apply to topics beyond just this RPG so will be curious how it all plays out.  Sorry for the long post, was watching Mixed Martial Arts.

• CaptainMarsh, caladancid, Aarik and 1 other like this

Lanparth

Lanparth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 630 posts

@ N1SB

You put so much effort into that post, and I want to agree with it and like it, but honestly I can't disagree enough on the core game. As long as C7 is keeping the actual core game, and not throwing it out, I'm really not interested, sadly. You can tack as many new rules onto it as you like, but its a husk of a system. I've still got Black Crusade, Dark Heresy, ect, and really have no reason to change as long as they're offering me such a lackluster product.

I'm at least going to give 4th edition WFRPG a chance, as its built on a good system, I bought it but haven't gotten around to running it. I'm really not going to give W&G a chance, as its built on a poor structure and engine. And I suspect I'm not the only one whose in this camp.

So I commend you on the post!... I just respectfully think that GW should have wavered, and cancelled this botched game, and started fresh.

• Iron Father Ferrum, N1SB, Hellebras and 2 others like this

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,351 posts

It's all good, Brother, I don't get a commission from these parties for Wrath & Glory.  Believe it or not, I share your skepticism, because I saw the limitations of that fundamental foundation 1st hand, and I was simply wondering how much even CAN be changed, like you say.

The only difference, I think, is I've somehow completely compartmentalised this particular game from my thoughts on how GW is handling its licensing now; I see them as separate issues.  That overall licensing issue...whether it be video games, potential movie/webseries deails, or RPGs or recent revelations like how GW is partnering with Bandai to make Chibi 40k figures...is an ongoing issue that'll matter with or without Wrath & Glory.  GW shows it's there to make things work, that it's always watching and will absolutely step in if necessary.

That's IP management, which it actually kinda amazes me isn't a common term yet in this age of IPs crossing over to other genres.  People still think about the buckets of brand mgmt and licensing mgmt.  But the level of GW's involvement here is really impressive, whatever we may think of this particular Wrath & Glory game.

• Lanparth likes this

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,213 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

The problem I had with W&G was that it tried to cover so much, which was great, but there weren't much to what they covered. Like there being options for psychic hoods for astartes but no option to take a librarian. After all the hype it felt a little lackluster. I guess there was always addons later down the road, which may have been their intended route.

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

Sons of Horus 38th Company

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

Ezr91aeL

Ezr91aeL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 421 posts
  • Faction: Custodes

@ N1SB

You put so much effort into that post, and I want to agree with it and like it, but honestly I can't disagree enough on the core game. As long as C7 is keeping the actual core game, and not throwing it out, I'm really not interested, sadly. You can tack as many new rules onto it as you like, but its a husk of a system. I've still got Black Crusade, Dark Heresy, ect, and really have no reason to change as long as they're offering me such a lackluster product.

I'm at least going to give 4th edition WFRPG a chance, as its built on a good system, I bought it but haven't gotten around to running it. I'm really not going to give W&G a chance, as its built on a poor structure and engine. And I suspect I'm not the only one whose in this camp.

So I commend you on the post!... I just respectfully think that GW should have wavered, and cancelled this botched game, and started fresh.

The only reason could be playing a xeno, but with the only exception of the Craftworlder Eldar they are on the Rogue Trader expansions.

XE7g3TN.jpg2NgmmVH.jpgYlmK7vQ.jpgJfEE2FS.jpg

Lanparth

Lanparth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 630 posts

@ N1SB

The only reason could be playing a xeno, but with the only exception of the Craftworlder Eldar they are on the Rogue Trader expansions.

Not only that. I would have LOVED an Eldar version of Dark Heresy. Hell, Orks are RPG characters. They literally fight and get stronger, and then deliberately specialize. It's literally apart of their Lore, and no one thought to make an RPG called WAAAGH?

But regardless. I don't want to play a Xenos, or anything, in W&G, because its a bad game with bad core mechanics.

It's just really sad. :(

• Doctor Perils likes this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,025 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

Never had much interest in this game and this announcement didn't shift me a bit. 

*glances at shelf full of Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Only War, and Black Crusade books and smiles*

• Lexington, Cpt_Reaper, Juggernut and 4 others like this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,891 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

As rubbish as WANG was, Crucible 7 would've been my second hope for who would receive the license (after FFG who were obviously and sadly never getting it back). I doubt the system is salvageable, but I'm optimistic we might see their own spin on the IP in the future after their fantastic work on The One Ring and good job with WHFRP.

Now the kitchen sink approach has been tried and failed - surprise, surprise - hopefully we can back to the depth of the focused FFG publications.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 17 May 2019 - 07:37 PM.

gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Enuncia

Enuncia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 30 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I came to 40k because of the books and lore.  I got into the tabletop shortly after.  I had never played a pen and paper RPG before, and I am not a huge fantasy setting kind of guy.  When they announced W&G I was floored, I could experience and retell the lore and play out stories in the universe.  I fully backed the game.  When they released the PDFs ahead of schedule, I printed a few copies (for me only, I did not distribute((100's and 100's of pages))) for my game group to try and play a game or two.  Everyone dropped after game two.  I got my W&G founder kit in the mail after that and I still cannot find anyone to play with.  I live close to miniature market's retail store in the states.  They were a huge proponent of the game and released videos up to the launch.  They are not even playing it there.  I noticed that they were heavily discounting the rule book and starter set recently, I guess this is why.  Now I have this big cube of books on my bookshelf that will be outdated before I could even get more than a few games in.  The older FF systems are harder to find books for and a little to rules dense for my playgroup.

Sorry to vent here, but this really frustrates me.

Is WHFRP that much better of a system (whose ideals\rules could transfer over to W&G)?  Do you think Cubilcle 7 will do it right?

Edited by Enuncia, 17 May 2019 - 07:55 PM.

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,441 posts
  • Faction: The Raven Order, Deathskulls
Am I the only one that didn't hate the mechanics of the game? I'll grant that the editing was trash but the game itself worked for me from a more cinematic perspective, as long as you didn't literally let your players make whatever characters they wanted and you stuck with a theme.
  • CaptainMarsh and Enuncia like this
Formerly known as CardinalVirtue

Orange Knight

Orange Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
I have real interest in Wrath and Glory but found it hard to get my hands on the rules and various books. There were horror stories of people receiving the books in German instead of English so I held back until it was more widely available but the company behind it went silent.

I'm not sure what exactly happened but I'm hoping it's re-released.

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts

I liked W&G's concept of being a unifiedsystem for playing all the diffrent factions, not even for mixed parties(though the option is nice for those gruops that want to do so; like say having a Deathwatch marine in your party of Inquisitors, or vice versa), but for use as an easy way to biuld enemies utilizing the other player options.

shame it was so thin and basically advertised purely for playing parties of Imperial Soup.

EDIT: I mean Star Wars RPGs have a similar issue revolving around Jedi/Sith classes compared to everybody else, hence why some RPG gaming groups have "all Jedi or no Jedi" rules for Party composition.

Edited by RipOffProductions, 20 May 2019 - 06:20 PM.

Mazer Rackham

Mazer Rackham

++ SCLOPETATOR SIMULAMINIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,082 posts

I don't know much about the new publishing house, but I hope that Cubicle 7 do make a go of it and treat it like a DH2E, the FFG books are excellent in lore, fluff and the like, but oh my, the editing is terrible.  Really terrible.  Don't get me wrong, I love the FFG books and rulesets and DW is a favourite (gee, wonder why) but I do insert the caveat that I don't find the W&G system attractive as it stands.

Time will tell and hopefully for the better, since if the rules are streamlined enough, it could help new GM's feel their way forward and immerse new players into the setting.  yes.gif  I found Inquisitor very good for that back in the day.

I could suggest to the Xenos players or would-be Tau/Eldar/Kroot parties that I saw a very successful Tau Kill-Team campaign using modified DW in my local club and someone had tabled the idea of an Eldar one.

MR.

Indexes: IA: Scions of Gehenna IA: White Paladins

The blanket of fire from the pirates thinned as they desperately tried to kill everyone, a costly mistake the Infantry would exploit.  Another explosion blossomed in a muted boom, tearing a man off his feet, sending him flying backwards almost gracefully, to crunch down fifteen metres from the initial point of impact, trailing blood from a ruptured knee joint.  Low gravity combat defied the usual expectation of seeing violent movements realised quickly.  It was horrifically deceptive.

Arron Owen, The Ares Gambit.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,384 posts
I think we can all likely relax and appreciate that everyone has different appreciations for the crunch or the story telling based systems.

What were people that enjoyed W&Gs aspects that they would like to see stay or improve in the, what I assume is, new edition?
  • N1SB likes this

Son of Sacrifice

Son of Sacrifice

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 470 posts
I've never been an RPGer,not had the inclination in the past. Recently played two short W&G campaigns and we all had a blast.

Genuine question: If you love the FFG RPGs, why would you want a new one anyway? Can't you keep playing infinitely?

Excuse my ignorance,I genuinely don't know as I've never been the GM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users