Help needed with DA and Fallen background

Darnok

Friendly greetings, traitorous scum!*

I have recently started a new army of Fallen - see my Plog here - and could use some help with the more recent background on Dark Angels in general and the Fallen in particular. I am familiar with the background from as far back as the "Angels of Death" codex from 2nd edition, but I have yet to take in the new stuff that came with the "Gathering Storm" books or the 8th edition DA codex.

If I got it right, the "modern" background puts the overall number of Fallen still around in the thousands - at least that is what is stated here. If true, it would make sizable armies of Fallen - something impossible in the older lore - an actual thing. "Codex: Fallen" incoming?

The novels "Fallen Angels" and "Black Legion" are ordered, to arrive sometime next week. So those two could fill some gaps for me. Are there other things I should know, like DA legion organisation at the time of the Horus Heresy, or other details important for the Fallen? I appreciate any and all support on this matter.

* ... Because as we all know: Johnson was the traitor, not Luther.

Oh my friend....there is a lot to check upon.

If you're interested in 30K DA organization, I can recommend Thorpe's Angels of Caliban, which itself is the third part of the Imperium Secundus story arc. It features the so-called Hexagrammaton https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hexagrammaton

Furthermore did Thorpe write several DA stories, which are features in two omnibus as of now, Legacy of Caliban and Knights of Caliban.

Haven't read them myself but they're on my to-do list and cover the DA story prior to the Gathering Storm era.

Regarding 8th edition,

Luther escaped during the events of Warzone: Fenris.

Regarding the Fallen, yes, there are quite a lot out there. There are some theories that there are also two different Cyphers, one acting for and one against the Imperium.

Just to give you a very short summary. There are way more capable brothers of the Unforgiven to help you further. :)

My own personal theory supported by circumstantial evidence is that Cypher is actual a psychic projection of the Lion, which might explain how "he" escaped the inescapable prison.

Thanks to everybody so far!

Could somebody also enlighten me on DA squad markings during the Horus Heresy?

Luther didnt escaped during the Fenris incident with TS cause the Changeling was stopped by Watchers in the Dark
It was during the BobbyG crusade that the Rock was attacked by Tzeentch demone and Luther vanished

In what book is this covered?

Thanks to everybody so far!

Could somebody also enlighten me on DA squad markings during the Horus Heresy?

Luther didnt escaped during the Fenris incident with TS cause the Changeling was stopped by Watchers in the Dark

It was during the BobbyG crusade that the Rock was attacked by Tzeentch demone and Luther vanished

In what book is this covered?

In the latest Codex iirc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read (and thoroughly enjoyed) Black Legion - ordered the prequel a day later - and just started with Fallen Angels. Now Angels of Caliban is ordered as well, and I wonder what else I can read with insight into the Fallen.

What are peoples favourite books in this regard? Would you recommend some must-reads?

Edited by Darnok

I have finished "Fallen Angels" now, and really enjoyed it. In my opinion it is a must-read for every player of Dark Angels and Fallen alike. It not only brings some excellent background and motivation to the Fallen, but also to Dark Angels in general. Also: the Lion is a serious :censored: ! The Fallen are, and always were, right!

Now looking forward to "Angels of Caliban", and contemplating getting both "Knights of Caliban" and "Legacy of Caliban" afterwards.