New Primaris Character Possibilities

From Natfka and Bols and I saw in the comments some comments about people wanting Chapter Masters upgraded like Calgar.

This made me think that Calgar got turned into a Primaris even when he had lost all his limbs to the tyranids? Wouldn't that normally mean he would be interned into a dreadnought? If that was the case what is stopping them bringing back characters that are interned like Bjorn the Fel Handed?

On the subject, Bols, and since they did that to Calgar it's been pretty obvious that there are going to be primaris special characters.

Slight offtopic, dreadnaughts are people who would have died otherwise, think Robocop level of damage, being a quadruple amputee doesn't mean the rest of your body with all the important parts isn't fine. And it's not like Calgar got his arms and legs back from being primarised, still rocking those bionics.

i mean, yeah, pretty obvious and not really a rumour or news? If it had specifics it would be, but otherwise its kinda a given...

p.s. i thought the calgar stuff was old lore and isn't actually the case anymore (about him losing all his limbs). Not seen it in any recent versions of his lore.

Edited by Blindhamster

i mean, yeah, pretty obvious and not really a rumour or news? If it had specifics it would be, but otherwise its kinda a given...

Agreed, there is neither news nor rumor here, and this isn't the place for general Marine discussion - such as "when does a Marine get interred in a Dread sarcophagus", that's down in the Astartes forum.

I would prefer if they just left the old characters alone and introduced new ones. It would be a welcome opportunity to cut down on the numbers of ultramarine characters. One each for the first founding and a few additional maybe - Black Templars for sure but something more unusual like a mortifactor or exorcist would be nice

I would prefer if they just left the old characters alone and introduced new ones. It would be a welcome opportunity to cut down on the numbers of ultramarine characters. One each for the first founding and a few additional maybe - Black Templars for sure but something more unusual like a mortifactor or exorcist would be nice

There's more SW, DA, BA characters than Ultras.

i think some need to die to move the story on, for example Dante should cop it and be replaced. 

i really want a Ragnar primaris mini as he was always my fav SW since his mini came out. 

All the first founding chapters need their chapter masters at least. 

Not actually true; Ultras have the same amount of characters as BAs and more than the DAs. Only the Wolves noticeably outstrip the others in terms of the sheer number of named characters.

Anyway, i think it's a given we'll see at least one character from each of the other big three chapters receiving the Primaris treatment, although whether or not it will always be the current Chapter Master I don't know. 

This is a good chance to imrpove chapter Identity.

Bring out an original Character/primarized existing character together with a chapter upgrade sprue that individualizes Intercessors (e.g. Flamers for Salamanders and so on) and also produce chapter specific elite infantry - one character, one upgrade sprue for troop choices and one elite choice that way primaris can become way more individual depending on chapter than they used to.

p.s. i thought the calgar stuff was old lore and isn't actually the case anymore (about him losing all his limbs). Not seen it in any recent versions of his lore.

You're pretty much right. The fluff about Calgar being basically just a marine torso with bionics added on is old lore. In current lore, he still has all his limbs, just that bionic eye. I'm pretty sure about that.

Not actually true; Ultras have the same amount of characters as BAs and more than the DAs. Only the Wolves noticeably outstrip the others in terms of the sheer number of named characters.

Anyway, i think it's a given we'll see at least one character from each of the other big three chapters receiving the Primaris treatment, although whether or not it will always be the current Chapter Master I don't know.

DA also have multiple unique HQ types available to them so I'd say they get more service with characters.

Not disputing this, but as a player of a codex chapter with only one named character, I can definitely see how it feels the Ultras have all the fun toys.

Would rather like to see more for everyone rather than a reset, personally.

This is a good chance to imrpove chapter Identity.

Bring out an original Character/primarized existing character together with a chapter upgrade sprue that individualizes Intercessors (e.g. Flamers for Salamanders and so on) and also produce chapter specific elite infantry - one character, one upgrade sprue for troop choices and one elite choice that way primaris can become way more individual depending on chapter than they used to.

I'd love to emulate Calgar. A beefed up Primaris version of the chapter master with 2 honour guard, only make them thematic.

Shrike with two guys wielding lightning claws.

Khan on the rumoured bike with two other bikers.

Kantor with a couple Primaris Sternguard or something.

I don't really know if those are the best suggestions, but thematic chapter specific honour guard would be awesome imo

Edited by Lemondish

I would love to see a set of characters to represent Primaris masters of the chapter like the one they released for Apocalypse, they could even be "generic special characters" in that any chapter can take them but they all have a special aura or warlord trait or even a unique stratagem!

Well it will be interesting to see what comes with apocalypse anyways. They said the would release two models in plastic for the first time ever.

So maybe there is something for US in there.

But that is beside the topic.

A chapter specific primaris honour guard would also be really really cool. Calgars Posse looks great.

But the more I think about chapter identity, look at how fw does it for HH:1-2/ special dreadnoughts per legion, the praetors and characters and then an Upgrade Set for terminators and one specific unit.

And in my opinion this encompaasses chapter identity pretty well:

A unique elite unit that show cases what they are known for and excell at.

A troop choice that is what you will see from that chapter on the field of battle most of the time.

X amount of hq choices.

Of course I love dreadnoughts and would love to see chapter specific ones in 40k.. But to be honest I'd much rather have all of the large chapters get some stuff before they broaden it for single chapters.

With that x stratagems and relics and there you are.

Maybe forgeworld will get back to doing imperial armour and space marines stuff when the heresy model series is through. I'd like that.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

DA also have multiple unique HQ types available to them so I'd say they get more service with characters.

Don't move the goal posts just because you didn't like the answer :P

My point is that no one should wish for any chapter to be ignored or have less support.

We should be asking for everything to get attention.

Also I'm not changing the goal post. I wasn't just talking about named characters in the first place!

Edited by Ishagu

100% on board with killing everyone off and starting with a clean slate for characters. The level of disbelief you have to suspend to have all of these guys running around after a centuries long time skip of non-stop front line combat is insane. I volunteer Asmodai to be the first one, nobody likes him anyways.

I'd rather they built new characters for Primaris. It just seems lame to piggy back and reuse old characters. I'd like to see new and dynamic characters. If they want to revitalise a product line then they should do it properly.

100% on board with killing everyone off and starting with a clean slate for characters. The level of disbelief you have to suspend to have all of these guys running around after a centuries long time skip of non-stop front line combat is insane. I volunteer Asmodai to be the first one, nobody likes him anyways.

I'd be alright with any direction, personally. Kill 'em all and replace, update 'em instead - everything works for me as long as they're Primaris :biggrin.:

But my actual preferred way forward would be to get away from including more and more named characters in rules and instead focus on these secondary characters as being narrative and conversion/modeling focused opportunities, not limited rule options. I'd suggest shifting many special character data sheets into one per army generic versions that would be available to every codex force, not just one.

As an example, I feel everybody should have access to a master of scouts with Telion's rules, or a chief Librarian with Tigurius as the baseline, or Chronus as a blueprint for a tank commander upgrade for everyone, or a character hunting Emperor's Champion stand in. The chapter masters and new codex specific infantry units are where the vast majority of the unique chapter flavour should be included, but that won't happen since we're on the pathway towards a new named Iron Hands dude already and a shift this big would be monumentally difficult to achieve at this point. 

But basically I want my Crimson Fist cake with a little bit of Ultramarine frosting from all those fancy, cool special characters. I think more than just Marines suffer from a sub-faction that has more toys than all the rest, and I feel that is a harsher trade-off than it needs to be. 

Edited by Lemondish