Kadeth's Handmaidens - Dr. Ruminahui's slaaneshi host

Finished my Syll'Esske - quite happy with him+her.  The tattoos I did in about 5 different colours, and it was only after I painted the metallic purple parts (originally on the orbs on his axe and other places) did I try metallic purple - happy with the choice, as it reflects the light differently depending on the angle, giving him a kind of shimmering look.  I went with the light blue hair as I plan on doing my HQ units with more subdued hair colours (basically, a wash over white rather than a bright base colour like my non-HQ units)

oZgqgiF.jpg

zQU0pM5.jpg

Sorry about the light - I'll try to do better photos when I do my vow completion photos - hopefully do them during the day when there should be better light.

I've also started on my contorted epitome, which is going to be a lot of work - each part of the coils will need to be edge highlighted, as well as the frame of the mirror itself.  Not sure what to do with the silver mirror parts - I had them metallic purple, but it made the entire model too purple and while okay from the front, it looked like crap when looking down at the model (the disadvantage of the effect I used to my advantage on the piggy-back prince's tatoos).  Maybe I'll give it a light wash of florescent green or blue...

I4LqNE8.jpg

Finished my contorted epitome - really happy how it turned out.  Not so eager to do any more edge highlighting any time soon, though. :)

ysWh3mL.jpg

Which means my 2nd completed ETL vow is done.  Here is a picture of it all together.  Please pardon the knight - he's just visiting from the renegades forum. :)

fHg2dxO.jpg

My next (and likely final) ETL vow this year is the herald of slaanesh on steed - it featured earlier in this thread, but here it is again:

NnuGIdQ.jpg

Thanks!  I appreciate it.

I had originally done the mirror just silver (runefang steel), then with a blue wash, but found that the blue didn't emphasize the rippled surface like I hoped.  So I did the grooves in bright green and that seems to have done the trick. :)

Thanks, Tallarn!  I'm looking forward to finishing a 3rd daemonettes squad so that I can field a full battalion... running a patrol always feels like a huge tax when you are so close to being able to essentially use the same models + 1 squad and get 5 more CP for it.

Warriorfish, in my opinion, the Epitome is a nice model that is somewhat diminished by 2 derpy daemonettes.  If you wanted, it should be possible to saw them off at the waists and replace their tops with regular daemonette models that have similarly been sawed off.  Indeed, if you use a jewler's saw, you could like glue the epitome daemonette tops to the regular daemonette bottoms and field them as heralds or as squad leaders.

That said, if you are converting, you might be better off using the endless spell with a mirror on the giant hand.  That's what I plan to do if I decide I need a second one.  It does have a bigger base - I would have to see if it would fit on the base the actual epitome comes with.  Even if it doesn't, given its also taller I don't think it can be said that its modelling for any advantage.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Finished my herald of slaanesh - really happy with it as it turned out better than I expected.  I'm also really happy with my decision to have all my HQ units have "white" hair - or rather, a wash over a white base - rather than the solid colours of my other units.  It really helps set them apart while still carrying over my differentiating units by their bright hair colours and so for, the only HQ hair colour I'm not as pleased with is the epitome.  This herald is done with a florescent red wash, but it comes out as kind of strawvberry pink, which I quite like.

The biggest pain in painting it was the model itself - I hadn't pinned the last two joins as I thought they were too small to drill aligned holes.  Boy did I ever regret that decision - I think I knocked them off at least 4 times in the course of painting it.  This in turn resulted in some gaps in some rather rough joins - their are gaps in places - but fortunately the dark colour of the steed helps hide them.

Qa2eE9Y.jpg

FlB2B2Y.jpg

Thanks!  For me, I think it has something to do with the breasts - they definitely look out of place and maybe doing them in a natural colour made them look even more so.

Anyway, thought I should post here that I've wrapped up my ETL vows this year with a Noctilith Crown:

l8BICOn.jpg

Here are all my vows together.

Cdmj9r6.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks, Warriorfish.  I've just built another 20 daemonettes so that I can have 3 squads - seems rather like a handicap to field my daemons as a patrol when I only need one more troop squad to make a battalion.  Here it is:

5Xmg0IM.jpg

Eventually I hope to get all 3 daemonette squads up to 30 models each.

As for the crown, it creates an expanding zone that gives 5+ invulnerable save (6" then + 3" per turn with a max of 12"), and enemy psychic powers in that zone suffer from perils on any double.  Oh and a 6" pistol weapon.  So, really not worth 100 points, but as you said it makes a cool centre piece.

And you know that's why I post models on B&C - to tempt you to buy models you wouldn't otherwise. :tongue.:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Well, its Sunday night in my part of the world, which means its time for me to post more pics.

Here are the above daemonettes, now having been primed and had their base flesh tones put down. 

czKRdVK.jpg

I'll be focusing on them when I finish my venom crawler (see: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5384447).

Had my first game with my daemonettes against my friend's footorks - 1000 points to his 995.

I fielded 1 battalion with locus of slaanesh and:

1x Syll'Esske (warlord - he automatically gets the trait that gives -1 attack to enemy models within 6", and I gave him the psychic power that can give -1 to hit to an enemy unit)

1x Contorted Epitome with relic that gives +1 attack and +1 attack when it kills a character (with the "make unit fight in psychic phase" and "roll D6 for every model in the unit and do a mortal wound for every 6" psychic powers)

3x 20 daemonettes with musical instrument

1x 5 seekers with musical instrument

1x hellflayer chariot

1x seeker chariot

My friend fielded speed freaks but all on foot.  He had:

1x Warboss with combi-rokkit and the relic big choppa (his warlord - I think - don't know what his trait was)

1x Wierdboy

3x 30 boyz with nob with power klaw and a mix of big shootas and rokkits

6x tank bustas

We played a weird mission where you divided your army into 3, with the 2nd and third groups coming onto the table on that rounds movement phase, but from any table edge outside of enemy's deployment.  It was a 4 foot square table with 4 objectives, 1 each half way between the table edge and the centre.  You got 1 VP for every objective you controlled at the end of each of your turns.

Sorry - I planned on taking pictures but I forgot my camera at home.

I started with Syll'Esske and the 3 daemonette squads on the table, with the chariots and the epitome coming on turn 2, and the heartseekers turn 3.

He started with the warboss and 2 boyz mobs on the table, the tankbustas coming on turn 2 and the wierdboy and last boyz nob coming on turn 3.

I went into the game expecting both sides to crash into each other, and fearing that my daemonettes wouldn't match up to his orks unless I managed to charge him.  That said, after reading the daemon strategems, slaanesh has one that is (another, ontop of Syll'Esske's warlord trait) which gives -1 to attack, which is really good against orks.

He got first turn, he managed to get both boyz mobs in with 2 of my daemonette squads, wiping one out taking out a little more than 1/2 of the other.  That said, being slaanesh we alternated who got to attack even when he charged, which allowed me to kill some of his boyz.  On my turn, I got Syll'Esske and the 3rd daemonette squad in and, well, Syll'Eskke is a beast!  Between that fight phase and the one on my opponent's 2nd turn, he almost single handedly killed both boyz squads and the warboss.

After that, the remaining 1 model in the 2nd daemonette squad, the ~10 models left in the 3rd squad and Syll'Esske sat on the 2 closest objectives while the battle moved to his deployment zone.  I managed to table him in turn 4, killing off his wierdboy, tankbustas and 3rd boyz mob at the cost of my contorted epitome, seeker chariot and all but 1 wound of my hellflayer chariot.  For this part of the battle what was key was killing 6 boyz with the epitome's psychic power, and then my ending turn 3 with both my chariots alive (though both on 1 wound).

Hero of the match was definitely Syll'Esske - if you think you might play against another melee list, don't leave home without him/her.  It's kind of a shame that its so good, as in future games I suspect the various deamonettes will feel more like a delivery vehicle for Syll'Eske that units to be buffed by him, which doesn't feel right for me (my play style is definitely mobs over bosses).

Here is how I got my models to the game:

NWW7nDv.jpg

I figured early on that my daemonette models were far too pokey and fragile to transport well in a foam case.  So, given that they already had steel washers under their bases to give them weight, I bought a bunch of round magnets (extras can be seen on the right side of the lid) and used them to fix them to my metal tool box.  The models are light enough that I can even carry some of them upside down, which is important given that the case isn't otherside big enough to even carry my 1000 point army.

In preparation for the game, I worked on my 3rd daemonette squad - getting all the base flesh, hair and clothes done.  Since then, I have continued working on them between missions of X-Com 2.

I have all my dark skinned models done up to just before the wash and ink stage - in other words, I've got all their basic colours down.  Here they are:

2ZIolK1.jpg

And here are the remaining 11, who need to have their gold, horns and the stones on some of their bases done before then match the above group:

tqan7fh.jpg

This is actually my 3rd go at their hair.  First time I used Lothern blue with a purple wash and found it was too dark.  So, I repainted all their hair a robin egg/baby blue paint I have, then did a test model with the purple wash.  That came out too similar to my other squad, which is purple with a purple wash, so her hair got repainted.  Think I will end up giving them a blue or green wash, but will need to test on some models before I've decided.

Sounds like a great game, clashing with a load of Orks would make for a heavily combat based game which is always interesting :) 8th does feel a bit hero hammer at times unfortunately, but if you load up on more troops then they will have more of an impact as well as benefiting from the auras and the like :tu:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!  Glad you like them.

If you want to see more purple, check out my chaos marines thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/

The star gate thing is a Noctolith crown, which is a fortification that (primarily) gives an invulnerable save to my nearby units.  Not really useful for my daemons army, but it does look cool. :)

Okay, here's the whole army pics I promised.  The blue haired daemonettes are recently completed - they are the ones that were partially done higher up on the page.  Just need to figure out what to put on the banner than spray a protective coat on them.

Here's my slaaneshi demon army so far - I painted up a board to enter them into this year's armies on parade, but ultimately didn't participate because I didn't want to have to wait around my local GW all day.

So, I thought I would parade it here: :smile.:

nC256YN.jpg

Ud978e2.jpg

BLThSeg.jpg

26k8b5x.jpg

YJpq9vD.jpg

OJGBGdR.jpg

brdVqaU.jpg

INQ8iGW.jpg

SxLyemY.jpg

eEjd6z8.jpg

The name I would have given it was "The incursion from Crown 17-4" - basically, the daemon prince used the thinning of the veil between the material world and the warp to summon a slanneshi daemon host.

Oh, and here is a picture just of the board - it's 4 1x1 foot squares that my friend had gotten through a kickstarter.

UsXfLwT.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 months later...