Best way to get into Titanicus?

Hiya. Recent 40k player, prospective Titanicus and 30k player speaking. I'd like to build a Titanicus list, but I don't really know where to begin. Should I pick up a box of Warhounds? Box of Questoris Knights, maybe? I'm planning on building them to match Knights and Titans hailing from Forge World Ragnarus (anyone who's read any of my posts at all on the rest of the forum knows what I'm talking about) and I'm leaning toward a box of regular Questoris-class Knights for that reason. There's a minor Titanicus presence in my area, and I could certainly get someone to play with if I had an army of my own. Cheers and thank you for any responses.

Definitely the battlegroup and pick up the separate rules box. You can the pick up another Reaver to make an Axiom Maniple and any knights you want and expand from there.

I've you shop around you can pick up the battlegroup a little cheaper than the GW site, I grabbed one off eBay for £80 a few weeks ago.

As others have said, the rules set and the battlegroup is the best way to start. Later on you can supplement that with the alternate reaver, then maybe some knights, more warlords, different weapons and so on as you prefer.

Why not the Grand Master Edition? It’s a good deal in terms of money, but it costs a lot and the stuff it gives you is sort of imbalanced. The two warlord titans it gives you, particularly with the weapons they come with, are not particularly practical and don’t form a legal maniple. You’d definitely need to buy more stuff. And it’s not particularly good as a set for showing the game’s tactics, as the forces in there are so limited.

I got a GME off ebay a few months ago. I also got the plasma warlord and the battlegroup box set. I’ve definitely got too many warlords now, and one of them is still on its sprues. Definitely not a good purchase, I’m sorry to say.

The BattleForce makes me so mad I bought a GME and a bunch of individual models. I bought a dozen extra titans and the 24 hours they made us believe the weapon sprues wouldn’t be available separately were a real kick in the shorts.

The GME box is for someone that wants a bit of everything and has a partner to play with. Against what GW says it is a real broad starter set for two people with Titans, Knights and scenery. Everything to get a good overall understanding of the rules.

The BattleForce is hands down the best to get if you just want to get some titans in your hands and play. It is so good that I will be getting it next even though I do not need another Warlord, £10ish over buying the Reiver and Warhounds separately is too good to miss. 

The GME box is for someone that wants a bit of everything and has a partner to play with. Against what GW says it is a real broad starter set for two people with Titans, Knights and scenery. Everything to get a good overall understanding of the rules.

The BattleForce is hands down the best to get if you just want to get some titans in your hands and play. It is so good that I will be getting it next even though I do not need another Warlord, £10ish over buying the Reiver and Warhounds separately is too good to miss. 

the GME is just awful for a starter box, though I suppose that has more to do with AT's generally poor launch; not having every weapon option's model right away is understandable I suppose(especially in the case of the resin ones... though if the rumors I read that AT was originally going to be in Resin but they changed their mind later, I'd almost expect the Resin upgrades to be ready sooner rather then later), but why they thought it was a good idea to not have Reavers and Warhounds available day one is beyond me.

I hope they eventually make a different "starter box" with a wider variety of Titans; like say one of each of the plastic Warlord and Reaver kits with a pair of Warhounds; gives you weapon variety, two minimal Maniples if splitting, or one full Maniple+one extra Warlord if keeping it all for yourself.

and maybe Knight Houses can get their own starter box once their unit options are more fleshed out, but that's more a whish-listing thing, cool as it might be in theory(such as such a box being based on a scenario/"minigame" of an "equal"(points value) Knight Lance vs one OP Titan, or something like that, just so it still has draw to Titan Legio players).

I agree it's far from the best set but it isn't your normal kind of set either. It is meant for two people who live close by and play in the same place. The warlords and Knights again are not your best models but it covers more of the spectrum rules wise as it introduces the biggest titans and the rules concerning banners(If it gave you a Reiver and Warhound you would not experience the knight rules). It also has scenery something most people will probably make with a few coke cans etc. The GME box is pretty much a contained game in itself for two people and I argue it's probably one of the best starting sets they have ever released as you can play all the starting rules from the moment you buy it.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it gets you playing and more importantly buying those extras that you speak of. Starter sets are not to give you everything cheaply, they get you playing and then spending. I think what you want is the BattleForce, but that is not a starter set, it is a box with all the big juicy models at a reduced price and no rule book, etc.

The trouble is that mirror matches of a warlord and 3 knights on each side don’t give you a good game. The knights get evaporated by bellicosas and then the warlords can’t kill each other. There’s very little movement – just roll-offs between the warlords until the turns run out or one of them overheats and exlpodes.

This meant that the early batreps are all a bit rubbish. There are several games that all go basically the same way and it’s a bad advert for the game. It doesn’t help that loads of them get the rules badly wrong. You can hardly blame them for that (you can a bit) - it's a crunchy rule set and not clearly written.

If you’re going to make a starter set then it should be fun to play, straight out of the box, and the contents should be useful. If the GME had contained one of each reaver type, a banner of knights and a pair of warhounds then you might have had a set that gave you interesting games and a good start to a collection. It could have cost less money too, reducing the sticker shock of the GME.

Anyway this has been gone over a lot of times before. Great game, awful launch. But now is a really good time to start.

The trouble is that mirror matches of a warlord and 3 knights on each side don’t give you a good game. The knights get evaporated by bellicosas and then the warlords can’t kill each other. There’s very little movement – just roll-offs between the warlords until the turns run out or one of them overheats and exlpodes.

This meant that the early batreps are all a bit rubbish. There are several games that all go basically the same way and it’s a bad advert for the game. It doesn’t help that loads of them get the rules badly wrong. You can hardly blame them for that (you can a bit) - it's a crunchy rule set and not clearly written.

If you’re going to make a starter set then it should be fun to play, straight out of the box, and the contents should be useful. If the GME had contained one of each reaver type, a banner of knights and a pair of warhounds then you might have had a set that gave you interesting games and a good start to a collection. It could have cost less money too, reducing the sticker shock of the GME.

Anyway this has been gone over a lot of times before. Great game, awful launch. But now is a really good time to start.

Cannot argue with any of that, I have a feeling that there was a production issue that meant we did not even get a picture of the Warhound till after the release.

The GME is good for building up a single Legio / Knight House along with terrain. I'll agree it's not very good as a standalone force, but unless you're running a special Maniple you'll need the two Warlords (or you should have them, IMO). With the other weapons frame available separately, it's a decent choice. Then again, you'll still need to buy your other Titans separately.

Yeah the box is the best feature of the GME, i suspect given AT's loooong delay and then swift releases for the first few months it was meant to be standalone for longer but fortunately we got the reavers soon enough it wasnt a fatal mistake :D Especially odd as every core Maniple needs a Reaver! 

Every time i see some maniac recommend the GME to newbies on FB i weep

It will be because of the restock, from what I remember the reviewers didn't get many of the GME. Most reviewers got a warlord, some knights and rules separately.

Cannot argue with any of that, I have a feeling that there was a production issue that meant we did not even get a picture of the Warhound till after the release.

then why not delay the release so they could have all the different Titans available for sale at launch? they delayed for a year to switch from resin to plastic, yet could wait another 3 months for the Warhounds and Reavers to be ready?

even if the other classes weren't included in the box it still hurt the game's early days by not having the option to pick up these other units, and the continueing lack of models for alternate weapons is detrimental to those who like to play their games with WYSIWYG armies.

Plastic making time is super limited right now, GW cannot keep swathes of 40k stuff in stock its selling so well, equally ill bet they dont have much space to stash a few thousand titans out of the way, as far as ive heard it, what gets made is decided a way off and is pretty inflexible. Ofc they now have another factory up and running so not sure when that changed

Plastic making time is super limited right now, GW cannot keep swathes of 40k stuff in stock its selling so well, equally ill bet they dont have much space to stash a few thousand titans out of the way, as far as ive heard it, what gets made is decided a way off and is pretty inflexible. Ofc they now have another factory up and running so not sure when that changed

if GW doesn't have the space for manufacturing and/or storage of their stock, then they should invest in buying new buildings or expanding their current ones; they aren't some tiny independent start up anymore, they are an international multi-million(if not multi-billion) dollar company.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some questions concerning this as well, as I am currently wanting to take a break from painting marines and I love big stompy robots.

Which weapons options do I have in the battlegroup box? Is it what the titans come with in the boxes? I'd magnetize anyways I think, but since I am still in the "planning stages" of taking the plunge into Titanicus this would be nice to know.

Am I correct in assuming that the supplementary books, Titandeath and Doom of Molech, are the source of newer legios, as the core rules only has the rules for Gryphonnicus and Tempestus?

Do we know wether there is a timer on the Battlegroup box? E.g. do I want to hurry with buying it?

Edited by Marshal Vespasian