Colors of Waaaagh - Let's start a painting event for Orks

DeRome90

Hey there you gitz

as I will take part in the upcoming ETL on the side of Chaos, I might only be able to post something OoC for the Orks during the ETL.
But I really need some motivation to paint some of my Orks.  :confused:

So I thought an own Painting Event for Orks would be the best oportunity to give my Orks the look they deserve.

I opened this thread to discuss how we could organize such an event. 

First of all we need to decide on a time frame. I would suggest something after ETL VII. Maybe with one month pause between?

We also need some Event-Medals for the signature of our fellow Warbosses. 

Will this event also consists only of painting or also of building?

There are a lot of things to discuss, and as I never started such an event, I have no clue what we will need. But I would really like to hear your thoughts about this.

Let us show the other Xenos who the real Boss is. :cool.:

I like the initiative. I was hoping to get something going later in the year, but I hadn't started brainstorming yet. Since my recent promotion to mod, I've just been waiting for the ETL. So I'm happy to crowd-source the event. I'll handle the administrative duties, so what I want to see from everyone is:

What do you want to do? Should we just having an event about getting models done, or should we structure it more? I'm inclined to go with a loose event, like ETL but without the starting requirements, IE, a model at any stage.

What would you like to see? A voting event at the end for best conversion or signature unit? Special rewards (signature graphics) for articifer, biggest waaagh, ect? 

Are there events other factions do on the B&C you really like?

First of all we need to decide on a time frame. I would suggest something after ETL VII. Maybe with one month pause between?

Orktober and Nobvember, obviously :wink: 

We also need some Event-Medals for the signature of our fellow Warbosses.

Leave that to me (though if anyone wants to make them, hit me up in a PM).

Aye, this sounds good, I will keep an eye on it.

I don't know why, but autumn is my "Ork time" each year. So something around October/November would be perfect.

P.S.: I just hope toaae finds a better avatar soon. His current one freaks me out. :sweat:

P.P.S.: I propose the event being called "Fifty Shades of Green".

Edited by Darnok

What do you want to do? Should we just having an event about getting models done, or should we structure it more? I'm inclined to go with a loose event, like ETL but without the starting requirements, IE, a model at any stage.

What would you like to see? A voting event at the end for best conversion or signature unit? Special rewards (signature graphics) for articifer, biggest waaagh, ect? 

Are there events other factions do on the B&C you really like?

Orktober and Nobvember, obviously :wink:  

Regarding starting requirements, I say that we can keep them quite loose. But I would prefer if the models/units you pledge have only basic colours on them... so only an early stage and nothing where you only need to do the highlights. Although if someone pledges several units and only one or two of them are nearly finished, I wouldn't mind to accept it.

We could start a vote for the best conversion/paint job. And according to the pledged unit points we could award the biggest Waaagh. Also an award for the meanest/biggest unit would be great... the bigger the better :wink:

I did not really follow that many other events. I think ETL is the third event I take part in over the last 3 years :sweat: . But maybe some one else has some input regarding this point.

Of course... how could I not suggest the two best months of the year?:wallbash:

I was going to say instead of an Ork painting event how about an open thread where people can just point their finished models. The "problem" with the Ork subforum is only that it has so few active bosses. I wish I know how to get more Bosses to jump in but they either will or wont. 

On the flip side to that is a campaign of green terror in "Orktober" for exactly 31 days. 

- Orktoberfets. Where the challenge is to have built and painted the most units for the honer of top of the heap.  Some kind of game of king of the hill. But keep it short enough to not be over whelming and then a vote for coolest model from the lot of them, one entry per boss chosen how ever they like.

If it helps.

I was going to say instead of an Ork painting event how about an open thread where people can just point their finished models. The "problem" with the Ork subforum is only that it has so few active bosses. I wish I know how to get more Bosses to jump in but they either will or wont. 

On the flip side to that is a campaign of green terror in "Orktober" for exactly 31 days. 

- Orktoberfets. Where the challenge is to have built and painted the most units for the honer of top of the heap.  Some kind of game of king of the hill. But keep it short enough to not be over whelming and then a vote for coolest model from the lot of them, one entry per boss chosen how ever they like.

If it helps.

A pinned model showcase is an obvious addition. I'll get on it.

I've gotten the impression that there are other Frater who would participate in an Ork event, even if they aren't posting here. I'm not worried about low participation.

------------------------------------------------

After doing more research and soliciting some advice, I'm in preference of doing an ETL-style painting event, IE, you make a vow to paint so many units/models by the end of the event. 

If it helps.

A pinned model showcase is an obvious addition. I'll get on it.

I've gotten the impression that there are other Frater who would participate in an Ork event, even if they aren't posting here. I'm not worried about low participation.

------------------------------------------------

After doing more research and soliciting some advice, I'm in preference of doing an ETL-style painting event, IE, you make a vow to paint so many units/models by the end of the event. 

Haha. I was going to edit some changes to my post that came to mind today while I was away. 

But it sounds like you have a plan. I was just thinking of something simple to let people get their foot in the door. And something easy for you to run with.. lol

I look forward to seeing what happens next. :biggrin.:

• 3 months later...

So after my collosal failure during ETL I want to redeem myself with some Orks. 

How and when should we start the mentioned event?
I would say we use Orktober to build up everything and Noobvember to paint everything. There is no limit of vows, but you need to complete them. As for awards something as following: 

Awards for Orktober:

Oiler Grot - Build 1 unit

Burnner - Build 3 units

Mek - Build units up to some point limit?

Big Mek - Build units up to some point limit?

Mega Big Mek - Most units built

Orkimedes - Biggest unit built/Best Conversion

Awards for Noobvember: 

Grot - Paint 1 unit

Boss - Paint 3 units

Noob - Paint units up to some point limit?

Mega Noob - Paint units up to some point limit?

Waaaghboss - Most units painted

Runtherd - Most painted grots

Michelorkelo (?) - Best painted unit

What are your opinions? Is this to big for a new event? We could "promote" the mentioned showcase with this event or do you want to remain with the idea of an open thread?

EDIT: 10 seconds after I posted this, I saw the Waaagh event in the banner... too late

Edited by DeRome90

Yes, as you've noticed but for anyone else curious, we're having an Ork painting event. Captain_Semper is obviously very experienced in running these, and since the Ork board's ETL inspired him, he's running an event for Orks! With the expressed purpose of growing the B&C's Ork presence, it's being run out of the Forge's WiP section.

I was wondering about that, perhaps you could call yours "The Mekboy Workshop event" as in it's primarily focused on the "building" part to tie in with Cap's painting challenge...

That way we get to enjoy both challenges without feeling like one is making the other obsolete :sweat:

Mithril

• 2 weeks later...

I've just joined the Ork ranks with 90 boyz with boss nobz, a squad of nobz, waagh banner nob, gorkanaut, 2 dakkajets, 1 wazbomb blastajet, 2 weird boyz, ghazkull, 30 grots and assorted runtherds, and a warboss on warbike.

Any encouragement to paint this enormous tide of green would be helpful.

Well, you're just in luck, as the B&C is having not one, but TWO hobby events! Da Mekboy Workshop is about assembling models, and the Waaagh! 2019 is about painting them! They are both being run out of the Forge, in the Works in Progress sub-forum. Please, check them out!

Edited by toaae