Turbo Dork Colorchange Paints

So I was at my FLGS and saw some new paints; they're a bit expensive and pretty strange looking.  But the bottle had a cool 80's synth aesthetic and that'll sell pretty much anything for me, so...

Here I give you a Culexus assassin and some of Raging Heroes' Knights of the Chalice, painted in large part with Turbo Dork paint.  The Culexus' armor was painted with their 3D Glasses colorchange paint, and the Knights' armor was done with their Radium.  Both done with handbrush over satin black undercoat.  

IMG_4187_zpsd8bue7s9.jpg

IMG_4189_zpspiz7g3ey.jpg

IMG_4190_zpsftjt6ogv.jpg

IMG_4193_zpsoopuv9mw.jpg

So the 3D Glasses has a much more extreme colorchange pattern; but overall I'm very impressed with the paints and I recommend them.  That being said, they do seem to produce a really eye-popping, bright color, high-contrast style.  So make sure that's what you're going for if you choose to use these.

Next step; get a squad of 10 Seraphim or Celestians and try out Turbo Dork in the airbrush.

Cheers!

Nice. :) I can volunteer my opinion that the Green Stuff World colour change paints are really nice but I haven't tried the Turbo Dork paints yet. They seem to work a lot better on models with large curved armour panels from my experience and yeah, you do get a much better effect through an airbrush. Saying that, you've got some nice contrast on the Culexus' bodysuit. It reminds me of those bluebottle flies as they look similar.

Half the challenge for me is finding a model that it would look effective on to test them but for it to be a model you don't mind ruining. I think stuff like Drukhari Venoms or some Aeldari Jetbikes would be good but it would get expensive pretty quickly.

I will just add in some of my experience with their color shifts. I bought a Wake the Dead box a while ago for the Primaris and had the Eldar sitting around so I figured I would do some experimenting. 

Base coat is Badger Stynylrez Gloss Black and color shift used is Blue Raspberry. Everything is airbrushed.  

Standard 3-4 light coats sprayed over gloss black and then a turret with decals applied and sealed. Oh yeah, I have a bunch of old metal Eldar too. :biggrin.:

47932746811_73610077e5_c.jpg

What happens when you spray it over black that transitions to white? If you tilt the blade in the light you can see little sparkles of the Blue Raspberry on the white part of the blade!

47932746776_ba9a146a54_c.jpg

What if you put white/yellow decals down on the gloss primer, seal the decal with some gloss varnish and then spray over everything?

47932742888_4e398d953a_c.jpg

You can still clearly see the decals and they look like they are floating under the surface! And when you tilt the piece in the light you can see slight little sparkles of the Blue Raspberry over the decals.

Now for some Pearly Gates.

Over gloss white (Stynlrez white primer followed by Vallejo gloss varnish) and decals on the primer layer. The decals look like they are floating under the surface! Cool! :cool.:  And the Pearly Gates give a great looking pearl effect over the white. Skinny head has no decals. And. . .wow!. . .its super hard to take a picture of! 

47932739047_b84effa91a_c.jpg

There, now you can see the black and yellow transfer.

47932738967_7f8fb96aba_c.jpg

My experiments were an effort to try and come up with an Eldar paint scheme that I could paint super fast. I think this will work for all the vehicles and wraith constructs. Plan is to add a pin wash of something like Minitaire Ghost Tint Oil Discharge or one of the other Ghost Tints (I have just about all of them so I can easily try several).  Then pick out some gems and paint the weapons black with a quick edge highlight of blue or maybe something else.  Maybe if I leave the weapons white or faded to white so it looks more like the weapon is integrated into them vs them just carrying it I can try one of the new GW Contrast paints on it! For vehicles and bikes this scheme will be really easy. Just prime, do some white stripes/decals/whatever and then just spray the Blue Raspberry, then a little pin wash in the panel lines and call it done.  

Edited by NiftyVT