Nico (and son)'s Road to Astronomi-con, Vol. 3

I guess that's the double-edge sword of flat rate shipping. Sellers then encourage people to buy more stuff or build extra profit into small sales. Not a huge fan of that sales model but I guess I can grudgingly understand why they do it. If Anvil's stuff wasn't so nice I can guarantee I would not have made the order. 

Try living in Australia bud, shipping here from America is insane :ermm:  Eu is only a bit better...

Anvil has nice stuff indeed...next time save up all the things you want to get!

cheers, Mithril

Actually the pattern looks worse to paint than it is. This model didn’t take me substantially longer to paint than any of the previous test models. Also, I painted this guy with arms attached (the FW shotgun torsos & arms are all one piece).

That said, I’m only giving the Scions (5 of them) this treatment plus maybe one more veteran. I’m going to try out a couple different variants of the dot pattern camo on the remaining vets.

Edited by Nicodemus Doloroso

Comrades, I'm a bit stumped on what kind of vehicle camouflage pattern would go well with these troops. Just a reminder, that all the regular grunts will be Caliban Green fatigues and Castellan Green armour ... then the Scions will be painted like this most recent guy, and the army (including the vehicles) needs to look good next to a DA successor force (vehicles will be Caliban Green with black doors and some other details).

I'm just drawing blanks. I thought of maybe a two-tone Caliban and Castellan Green but that may not be enough contrast. Zandri plus Caliban may be too much? Three paint scheme? And I don't know what style of camo ... please share your ideas!

Vehicles are a great excuse and opportunity to do something different to the troopers. Just using one of the greens would work nicely and tie them in to the other forces neatly. It should also give you a good starting block to get them done and on the table - once you get some vehicles and troopers together you might get an idea for developing the scheme and adding some additional colours/camouflage :thumbsup:

I did a solid green for my friends catachan baneblade which I thought worked well

So I think I'm all but done on the Baneblade!

Its very green... but that was the intent

(All I have left to do is a couple of transfers and then seal it, turns out its fairly easy to chip / scratch airbrush work?)

gallery_87434_11578_139374.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_293412.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_95042.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_155788.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_73102.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_282678.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_11551.jpg

I guess I will have to start mine at some point! :D :ermm:

There's also Wassa's awesome scheme too

Almost finished my missiles!

9KmsnLr.jpg

I agree with the good Dr !, your vets have a waffen ss kinda Camo going on so those tiger camo’s above would be awesome

,although perhaps use the three primary colours of your army in that style of Camo ?!..

Cheers, Mithril

Also great looking Camo guy

Edited by mithrilforge

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, it is pretty hard to go wrong with some variant of WW2 German camouflage. I was actually attempting something more like modern German Flecktarn although looking at it again, it doesn't have the light dots so this ends up making it look more like Waffen-SS Erbsenmuster.

The Hinterhalt-Tarnung pattern in the second pic from Dr. Ruminahui I think could look very good in the Caliban Green/Khorne Red/Zandri Dust colours I used on the dot pattern for that one vet, and which will go on the storm troopers. Modern German tanks actually use a pattern that's very similar but without the lightest colour or dots. I think the dots really make a tank "pop" so maybe I'll go with that. Considering that the DA scouts will have the green/red/dust Erbenmuster-esque camo on their cloaks, will tie it all together nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, some WIP shots for my ETL vow Storm Troopers (yes, that's right, they're Storm Troopers not Scions):

med_gallery_66537_9465_334060.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_589720.jpg

For those interested in the Bitz used, I went with Anvil Industry "Gothic Void Armour" helmets and torsos, then they've got Catachan (command box) legs (one guy has Cadian -- basically using whatever Bitz I could find in the overflowing Bitz Box), and obviously Scion arms. My very modest GS skills were used to make a sort of connector to the backpacks which I think turned out alright. One of the hotshot volley gunners has a Victoria Miniatures bedroll, and then there are a miscellaneous assortment of grenades and pouched from Tactical Marine, Cadian, and FW Cadian Veteran sprues.

med_gallery_66537_9465_141793.jpg med_gallery_66537_9465_164321.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_79073.jpg med_gallery_66537_9465_178871.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention I cut off with a knife (carefully) then sanded smooth with an emory board some of the stuff on the shoulder pads to make them slightly less ornate -- these guys are going to get the dot-pattern camo on their fatigues, then Castellan Green armour so I want them only quasi Gothic/Baroque looking.

Edited by Nicodemus Doloroso