BSB Speculation

ERJAK

80 cards is about right....

36 TacObjectives

6 Warlord Traits

6 Acts of faith :sad.: .... 

3/4 generic strats (3 rule book + the 2nd player defensive one from CA)

leaving 28 or 29 faction specific strats

EDIT - I'm guessing available before Jan ... nothing

Next year we will get: codex, card packs,

Battles sisters, seraphim, repentia, retributors, dominions, arcos, celestians, PEngines, Rhinos, immolators / exorcists in boxes

clamshells / small boxs - Mistress, canoness, hospitiller, diagolos' 

no change as they are finecast

DCA, Crusaders, priests, Uriah..

EDIT 2 - 

going back to the card packs...

28 strats means 1 per order specific, the 14 current strats & 8 new ones

Edited by Slasher956

80 cards is about right....

36 TacObjectives

6 Warlord Traits

6 Acts of faith :sad.: .... 

3/4 generic strats (3 rule book + the 2nd player defensive one from CA)

leaving 28 or 29 faction specific strats

EDIT - I'm guessing available before Jan ... nothing

Next year we will get: codex, card packs,

Battles sisters, seraphim, repentia, retributors, dominions, arcos, celestians, PEngines, Rhinos, immolators / exorcists in boxes

clamshells / small boxs - Mistress, canoness, hospitiller, diagolos' 

no change as they are finecast

DCA, Crusaders, priests, Uriah..

EDIT 2 - 

going back to the card packs...

28 strats means 1 per order specific, the 14 current strats & 8 new ones

It's the OTHER 80 cards that I'm curious about. What could they possibly fill 80 stat cards with? Even if every kit comes out as a dual kit that's only like 30-40 units.

ermm... ahh....errr....oooh

:unsure.: :ermm: :wacko.:

yeah 

good shout.... either there is a lot more than 6 acts of faith or they've made a translation error 

OR as its a limited edition they could be giving us card protectors?

:rolleyes:

Hmm, I'm wondering if the Seraphim won't be coming with any special pistol options in the box? Figured that'd be something they'd show- I mean the battle sisters have the storm bolter and flamer there. I don't know what options are usually made available in these kinds of boxes.

Female Arco? That's new. Cool. Still dislike the repentia except for the one with the hood. Still gonna have to find someone to fix those for me with greenstuff.

Wasn't expecting the BSB till next week. Must be GWs way of responding to that leak.

Maybe if people leak more things, the BSB will actually show stuff we want to see? Ie Exorcists, Celestians and anything truly new new.

ermm... ahh....errr....oooh

:unsure.: :ermm: :wacko.:

yeah 

good shout.... either there is a lot more than 6 acts of faith or they've made a translation error 

OR as its a limited edition they could be giving us card protectors?

:rolleyes:

Perhaps a set of Unit cards is part of it?

I feel as if I should switch the weapons of the Canoness and the Mistress of Repentance: the Mistress's armor and backpack look much more like my current Canonesses and the robe and stole on the new Canoness would fit better the notion of a Mistress of Repentance.

So what are the odds we get the scheduled BSB this Monday in addition to the emergency one we got this week?

No idea, but there should certainly be more things we haven't yet seen: vehocles, Retributors, Dominions, maybe Crusaders.

Not going to see new crusaders....them, priests and DCA are in failcast and I don’t think will be updated based on what went LCB.

I think the next BSB will be another armybox review... possibly more info on the codex (ie what they mean by limited edition) but no substantive rules details

So what are the odds we get the scheduled BSB this Monday in addition to the emergency one we got this week?

thinking about it ... very slight.

I think they swapped a Psychic Awakening post round with the BSB one

Just still dreading what the price will end up being. The "special" codexes alone tend to be expensive already. As great as those models are, I already have 10 metal repentia (that I haven't yet used since they're unpainted) and soooo many metal bolter figs, so if it ends up rather high.... ugh. I hope my fears on the matter will end up unjustified.

What seems perhaps strange is that they made these monoposes, yet apparently the separate kit for the Battle Sisters for example most likely will not be the same but actually different sculpts/sprues since they need weapon options - and like the Seraphim, there's just 2x2 poses + superior in this one. So looks like they did "more than necessary" in the sculpting department in that sense.

if you look at BotP (new eldar box).. thats £140 or 180 euro for 22 infantry (10 jump pack /fly ones) + 3 vehicles + booklet compared to our 24 infantry (5 jump pack) + 1 walker + codex + card pack (dice + rules booklet are always free)

so indepth... the costs (GW website in £s)

existing models 107.5,  characters are about 20 each & units of 5 aspect warriors equiv are 20 each giving you a cost of 177.50... so about £ 190 retail...

we are looking at the infantry being about the same, the walker cancelling out one vehicle.  So the other two vehicles basically are compared to the codex & card pack... so I'd say £150 or 190-200 euro.....

Which would already put it outside of my price range, that's for sure. I mean it's monopose figs like in Dark Imperium, which costs 125€ MSRP here and has double the number of models and the full rulebook to more than counteract the codex. One thing is that it's hard to say how limited this set is actually going to be. Are "discount vendors" going to be able to get it? Something like Wayland or Element Games in the UK would shave quite a bit off from the price. Via my FLGS I'd be able to get 15% off, but Wayland for example tends to be more like 25% or more off compared to local MSRP.

But really, I'm less than happy with GW prices overall these days, which is probably hardly an uncommon sentiment. Seeing any nice new releases is immediately followed by the knowledge it's going to be pricey as hell, even more so than in years past.

Just still dreading what the price will end up being. The "special" codexes alone tend to be expensive already. As great as those models are, I already have 10 metal repentia (that I haven't yet used since they're unpainted) and soooo many metal bolter figs, so if it ends up rather high.... ugh. I hope my fears on the matter will end up unjustified.

What seems perhaps strange is that they made these monoposes, yet apparently the separate kit for the Battle Sisters for example most likely will not be the same but actually different sculpts/sprues since they need weapon options - and like the Seraphim, there's just 2x2 poses + superior in this one. So looks like they did "more than necessary" in the sculpting department in that sense.

It's 175$ USD. No guesswork, China spoiled the pricing.

No idea, but there should certainly be more things we haven't yet seen: vehocles, Retributors, Dominions, maybe Crusaders.

We've seen retributors, BSB 8.

Dominions are the ones that have me the most suspicious. There's no reason we should have had 3 BSB about Amelia and complete radio silence about dominions unless they're hiding something.

Same with the immolator. They're running out of BSBs now, why not do the immolator and the rhino at the same time? Especially when they haven't touched on the exorcist, dominions, Celestians, or the dialogus. They have 10 weeks worth of BSBs left (assuming no new priests/DCA/Crusaders) with a MAXIMUM of 8 weeks left. Hell, if you assume the BSB we got today was intended for monday it's even less.

Now there's arguments to be had that the vehicles are the big WAPOW things to show off so obviously they'd be last and that Celestians being fully redesigned means that they'll be close to the end as well...but why no dominions?

I think (hope) that doms havent been shown because theres nothing different to show with them - rets had a look at a couple of heavy weapons & the cherub.

For the immolator & exorcist I think that they are holding back some of the obvious new sculpts till the preview articles where they can then add some rules in ...espically for the exorcist as one of the called out units needing a look at....

I guess we'll have 2 mayyybe 3 BSBs then 4 or 5 previews.  The last couple of BSBs will be about the box then the previews will be 

exorcists / immolators

AoF

orders

celestians

get the book tomorrow!

As i've said previously I dont feel that crusaders, DCA and priests are going to get any updates..... they havent gone LCB and are finecast already... if sales for them take off with the new 'dex then I feel that they will release them in plastic ( they could already have them re-sculpted just not done the models)

It's possible those things aren't in the BSB because they'll be part of a later wave of Sisters released a few months after the box set? Maybe?

That would be really dumb not gonna lie. They can't really afford to do wave releases with sisters the way they can with other armies. For new players there's no 'well I'll just use what we have until the new unit comes out' there's only 'well cuss I literally can't build an effective army with what's available, better go to ebay or third party models or start converting'. And for established SoB fans it kills impulse buying and makes it more likely that you'd be willing to skip on units that you don't use, don't like, aren't very good.

I cannot tell you how many times I've put off buying something and ended up just never getting it because I lost interest or didn't want to deal with the hassle.

They might get away with breaking up the releases into november and January due to the holidays but that's about it. Seriously, there are 0 meltaguns in that box set and it would take 3 of them to have enough specials to build out a battalion of properly equipped 5 girl squads.

Edited by ERJAK

It's possible those things aren't in the BSB because they'll be part of a later wave of Sisters released a few months after the box set? Maybe?

Thats very likely whats happening. 

This box set is all thats being released this year. I think its very safe to assume we'll see a set of releases early next year. Probably in Feb-April. Its smart to release this box at the end of the year (the last week of November), then wait about 60-90 days for people who bought it to have more money before releasing new stuff for them to buy.

Its smart to release this box at the end of the year (the last week of November), then wait about 60-90 days for people who bought it to have more money before releasing new stuff for them to buy.

Not really. It's not like people would buy any less overall just because it was all released at once. All the other sets SHOULD be ready to go by now. Mind you, I'm not personally in a hurry, I don't have the money anyway and plenty of stuff waiting to be painted. Just that spacing things out artificially certainly doesn't benefit the players (like in this case it would mean the inability to buy core parts of the codex), and the only reason it'd benefit the company is if they want to pretty up the books. Personally I never understood what's so bad in sales being a bit uneven over the period of a financial year, as long as the total adds up. But then the whole economy never did make much sense.

Its smart to release this box at the end of the year (the last week of November), then wait about 60-90 days for people who bought it to have more money before releasing new stuff for them to buy.

Not really. It's not like people would buy any less overall just because it was all released at once. All the other sets SHOULD be ready to go by now. Mind you, I'm not personally in a hurry, I don't have the money anyway and plenty of stuff waiting to be painted. Just that spacing things out artificially certainly doesn't benefit the players (like in this case it would mean the inability to buy core parts of the codex), and the only reason it'd benefit the company is if they want to pretty up the books. Personally I never understood what's so bad in sales being a bit uneven over the period of a financial year, as long as the total adds up. But then the whole economy never did make much sense.

Yes really.

I've worked in gaming retail forever. You want to stagger your release for something like this so that more customers can be exposed to it. You want the product to be released across multiple pay periods so your customers have multiple opportunities to buy even if they have a limited budget. You want your customers to be exited about it and buy it in month 1, and month 2 and month 3 and month 4. And more a year or two later when its time for wave 2.

Splash releases (releasing everything all at once) work well for something like a one off product (like Space Hulk) where theres no follow up product to buy and you want to shift your customers attention somewhere else  a month later, or a limited edition box set that will be the start of a new product line that you can shift your customer's attention too (like this Sisters box). You WANT your customer hooked and coming back several months in a row (or several times over multiple months). What you absolutely don't want is customers buying your product all at once. Thats fine 6 months or two years after the product has launched, but you want to keep that initial excitement going for a many release months as possible.

This is beneficial for the customers too, for exactly the reasons you described. Not everyone is in a hurry. Not everyone has a lot of money set aside to buy a whole army at once. Not everyone has the time. People absolutely do tend to buy less when a product like a new army is released all at once (although certainly some big spenders buy everything in one go too). Very, very often if a customer feels like they can't afford it all, or don't have the time, they put off buying. Thats one of the reasons staggered releases work so well. Customers who didn't buy into the initial release get tempted again and again by later releases. Each new wave of releases, a month or two or three after the last reinforces the customers interest and tempts them to buy. Not only that, after several months of staggered releases the customer sees that this product isn't just a one and done splash release. Its something worth investing in with ongoing (or at least the illusion of ongoing) support.

Splash releases for entire armies aren't unheard of at all of course . But its MUCH more common for GW to stagger their releases over several months. Look at he new Chaos and Primaris releases this year for examples. Or death Guard and Primaris earlier this edition. Or Necrons and Eldar a few years ago.