BSB Speculation

ERJAK

Personally since I don’t use repressors I think it might be a good thing if they weren’t strictly matched-play legal. Then they’d have to balance the army around what is actually in the codex and available to buy, rather than worrying about Dominions in a FW unit that hasn’t been available for years.

On the other hand, it would suck to lose one of our 4 vehicle units (excluding walkers).

Between them eating a double nerf and dominions getting butchered, we already lost immolators, what's one more?

Kinda curious: Is this the first time that GW has shown off a range of human ethnicities when displaying new models?

I think it was the genestealer cults, unless the arabs and mongols back in 2nd ed guard count but they weren't representing a multi-ethnic social group.

If going that route, why take a brigade if you can fit more sisters in 2 battalions? 180 sisters to be exact

Celestine

Canoness

6x15 sisters

hospitaller (for morale ignore stratagem)

imagifier

Canoness

Missionary

6x15 sisters

You still need melta for tanks so why not take max sized retributor squads so those 2+ cover saves are protecting something and storm bolter dominions are still a cheap-ish first wave so there are better things than just spamming troops sisters. You also need at least 2 and preferably 3 imagifiers.

Also that's 30 extra ladies to paint.

So... I need to work up front-mounted heavy bolters for all of my existing Immos and Exors?

Nope, that will depend on local wysywyg restrictions. If a legal model looks a certain way then its still a legal model, wyswyg is for options.

Why would you need melta in that list? You're not trying to kill anything anyway. Don't waste points on dominions, obsec is massively superior to vanguard and a few extra stormbolters is irrelevant in a list that isn't trying to kill anything.

1d6 +3 from Sacred Rite and -2 within 18 inches, I think that means you can deny a lot of powers pretty readily.  Miracle Dice can make a lot of those denies pretty automatic, too, plus the stratagem to resist on a 4+ is still a thing, right?

Pilfering a 6 from your Miracle Dice + 3 = 9, which means you'll deny a 10- on anything within 18 inches of the -2 aura.  Best part is, you have control over your MD, which means if they roll an 8 for their test in the above scenario... you only need a 4 from your MD pool to deny it.  Gives you 2 pretty solid ways to shrug off psychic powers per phase.

So it takes massive investment, gutting your offensive MD, forgoing allies and the good sacred rites, and overpaying for canonesses for something you could do better with just coteaz or greyfax.

So it takes massive investment, gutting your offensive MD, forgoing allies and the good sacred rites, and overpaying for canonesses for something you could do better with just coteaz or greyfax.

Well if you are taking allies, you don't get access to the sacred rites.

But I am curious which sacred rites do you consider the good ones?

And do you mean they are always good, or that they are good with a certain list in mind.

Well if you are taking allies, you don't get access to the sacred rites.

ValourousHeart:

True in general terms, however the new rules for the Inquisition state that if you take a single Inquisitor with your Army list it will not violate the requirements for Chapter Tactics, etc, which covers Sacred Rites.

Edited by Montford

I'm just trying to stay positive, at the very least mob infantry and walker lists are now possible as they are still points cheap even if we are being pushed away from mech lists.

It's not long now, we have waited years and it's even taken bretonia coming back from the dead but our sisters are finally getting a new book.

I am however hopeful we get some new named characters,me ven if it's just rules for legends like stern, surely with the current campaign she has to appear, it can't be coincidence with the timing of this release.

ERJAK, please oh pretty freaking please start using the multi-quote feature so that I can just ignore one post of hyperbolic nonsense rather than 20. K thanks

I just got a sinking feeling in my stomach after seeing the Red Gobbo rules going up.

... is anyone else suddenly thinking the Repressor is going to end up relegated to Warhammer Legends?

It's FW, innit? So as long as they keep it in their lineup, it probably won't be Legends. Just have to wait for the once-per-decade update from FW.

The Repressor hasn't been in their lineup for years now.

Edited by Lemondish

I just got a sinking feeling in my stomach after seeing the Red Gobbo rules going up.

... is anyone else suddenly thinking the Repressor is going to end up relegated to Warhammer Legends?

I've never purchased a FW product. For me, the Repressor becomes MORE accessible if it's moved to Legends, not less. Of course, I don't do tournaments, or even competitive play really; for those that do, this may be more of an issue than it is for me.

You misunderstand Legends. The Repressor is currently OOP. If it moves to Legends for some reason, it'll never be reprinted so its accessibility to you remains the same.

I've never purchased a FW product. For me, the Repressor becomes MORE accessible if it's moved to Legends, not less. Of course, I don't do tournaments, or even competitive play really; for those that do, this may be more of an issue than it is for me.

You misunderstand Legends. The Repressor is currently OOP. If it moves to Legends for some reason, it'll never be reprinted so its accessibility to you remains the same.

Respectfully, you misunderstand my statement; I will not ever buy a Forgeworld book. Therefore I will not have repressor rules. If those rules get put into a Games Workshop Legends book, I will buy  it. If Legends takes the form of an online Library, that's fine too. Either way, I get access to rules, which I don't currently have, because again, I will not ever buy them if they are exclusively printed by Forgeworld.

The rules, by the way, are very much not out of print- they're just currently buried in a Forgeworld book that contains mostly SM and Guard units- Imperial Armour Index I think? Not sure, because like I said, I'm never gonna buy it. I know the model is OOP, and when it didn't make the dex, we lost any hope of getting a new model. But if GW printed rules, I might have converted one up- I think the new immo kit actually makes a better basis for said conversion than the classic Immo.

The model was never my accessibility problem. It was always rules.

Kinda curious: Is this the first time that GW has shown off a range of human ethnicities when displaying new models?

I think it was the genestealer cults, unless the arabs and mongols back in 2nd ed guard count but they weren't representing a multi-ethnic social group.

If going that route, why take a brigade if you can fit more sisters in 2 battalions? 180 sisters to be exact

Celestine

Canoness

6x15 sisters

hospitaller (for morale ignore stratagem)

imagifier

Canoness

Missionary

6x15 sisters

You still need melta for tanks so why not take max sized retributor squads so those 2+ cover saves are protecting something and storm bolter dominions are still a cheap-ish first wave so there are better things than just spamming troops sisters. You also need at least 2 and preferably 3 imagifiers.

Also that's 30 extra ladies to paint.

So... I need to work up front-mounted heavy bolters for all of my existing Immos and Exors?

Nope, that will depend on local wysywyg restrictions. If a legal model looks a certain way then its still a legal model, wyswyg is for options.

Well the 180 sisters list wouldn’t play for damage, it would essentially be the imperium’s version of a plagueberer horde list. Be unkillable sit on objectives if eternal war, same but deny secondaries in ITC

Personally I would prefer to halve that number and take some smash captains especially if blood angels get buffs. Then you can have sisters going around holding stuff while blood angel missiles fly off and smash things

OK...so all I really need to do is to track down some front bolters from the Chimera kit. Cool.

I considered that, but I'm actually using the HB options on my Chimeras themselves and it does look a bit boring. Then there was the idea to make a new 3D-printed front plate & HB in the style of the new ones, though that would be sad for my second current Immolator that uses the ForgeWorld front plate (and side doors). Not currently using any Rhinos to use it with. And, of course, a similar problem with the old Exorcist's front plate.

I reckon I could get away with the old models just fine locally even if they don't have a HB bit, I'm more worried about not remembering to fire them if I don't see them :P And just blu-tacking a random HB somewhere on the model is a bit meh.

Edited by tvih

I think that I will be able to bring my current Immolators and Exorcists up to current Heavy Bolter requirements as I have a few Razorback sprues which still have the Heavy Bolters on them.

I have been looking at the images of the Mortifier and the new Penitent Engine and I think I'll use the PE in the box set as a Mortifier as they seem very very similar, and use my three pewter PE's as PE's. 

At present I am really pleased with what I have learned of the new Codex. They took the Eviscerator but at least gave us a Relic Blade (Blessed Blade) as a replacement. Looks like I'd better remove the power axe from one of my Canonesses though, as that hasn't been around since the Index and likely won't be back :)

I think I'll be swapping out the Heavy Flamers I usually put in my Troop squads for flamers and concentrating the Heavies into Retributor squads for the range buff. And its handy being able to reposition those Squads now  without a shooting penalty.

I'm staying faithful to the Sacred Rose but Argent Shroud is tempting: those girls are going to grab Objectives like crazy. ;)

I think I'll be swapping out the Heavy Flamers I usually put in my Troop squads for flamers and concentrating the Heavies into Retributor squads for the range buff. And its handy being able to reposition those Squads now  without a shooting penalty.

I've always run my HBs in a static Retributor squad so them getting improved is great. It will be weird to have all these new strategums and whatnot for Sisters, will take a bit of time for the dust to settle and for people to work out what they like best.

But yes, I'm not changing from Sacred Rose either - fortunately their Order rules are neat so that's a bit of luck :biggrin.:

I personally will only be playing Valorous Heart but I find their Warlord Trait a bit uninteresting. All it does is improve their 6+++ to a 5+++, which is decent but not the most exciting thing. Their stratagem that lets a unit ignore hit modifiers for a shooting phase seems a bit situational, especially since I hardly see hit mods with the opponents I get.

On the other hand a aura of ignore AP -2 seems pretty neat :D I might try 2 blob BSS at 2000 points.

So my opinion on Argent Shroud:
Great Conviction (Advance with no penalty to shooting helps every single unit in the army)
Okay warlord trait (Countercharging will be our bread and butter, but there are better ones)
Okay stratagem (only works against mortal wounds, annoyingly, but that can oftentimes be clutch)

Bad relic (literally worse on average than the Iron Supplice, a relic available to anyone).

It's buffs are incredibly mediocre and short range. +1 to hit in melee is nothing, especially on a 6" move unit. The miracle dice things is of dubious value.

It's going to die to spare bolters/stalker bolt gun fire, not lascannons. Using miracle dice to save it is more of a trap for us than them.

When I see a comment like this it really highlights now much we see the game in utterly different ways. The ability to pick out exactly the dice roll I want at clutch moments is absolutely game-winning to my mind.

As for dying to a few spare bolter shots. I did run some numbers on that and to get to 50% chance of killing the Triumph standing out in the open takes 45 Stalker Bolt rifle shots with Captain reroll. That is a lot of sustained shooting, not just a few spare shots. In the modern marine meta with Eliminators everywhere I think that is no less durable than any other character available to the sisters. 

Personally I really like Ebon Chalice, that guaranteed 6 when you need it for discarding an MD that is a 1 or 2 is pretty solid, and ignoring mortal wounds is nice too. Also I could see using that 1CP to give a Canoness the extra warlord trait and making it the Ebon Chalice one for d3 CP and a guaranteed 6 at the start of the game as well. Then either make Celestine warlord for the MD generation or just give that actual warlord trait to a Canoness. I am also planning on possibly having an outrider detachment of Argent Shroud dominions, just in case that scout move doesnt go back to transports you can still stick them in repressors and advance with it and they take no penalties shooting out of it. I can reserve my immolators for my basic girls now!

Overall I still think the army is meant to be played with various detachments with different convictions, Bloody Rose for your melee detachment, Argent Shroud for anything but especially dominions, Valorous Heart for a heavy backfield of Rets and Exorcists, OoML and Sacred Rose for more MD, and Ebon Chalice against smite heavy lists or just to make sure you always get a good AoF off.

I mean I prefer to play mono-faction (and to me that means using just a single sub-faction) to the point where I don’t really use non <Order> units aside from a Priest or two.

Oh, and the Valorous Heart relic is pretty cool for a melee Canoness, I think (1” aura of -1T) I mean my Canoness is modeled with an Evicerator but I’ll just have to call it a Blessed Blade and pretend that’s close enough. S5 AP -3 will let you wound anything T3 on a 2+ once you lower their Toughness with the relic. Does absolutely nothing for a Blessed Blade against Marines (or anything T4) though. I guess will be good against, like, Death Guard and other T5 armies.

Oh, and all those S3 Celestians I’m going to bring along will wound Marines on 4+ while the Canoness is there I suppose :D

I just had a delightful moment picturing a roaming buff storm.

Cannoness with her reroll 1s and the -1T relic (what are all the relics? I haven't actually seen anything on them yet)

ToSK with it's array of buffs.

Priest with +1A

3 Imagifiers with a story each for +3DTW, ignore -1ap and +1S.

Zepherim with their reroll charge.

Celestine for the +1 invo? And/Or floaty mcpulpit with hers.

Anything's else? Too expensive to be worth it in a game, but still amusing.