How to thicken paints?

Hey all. I decided that I wanted to paint my squad of "Dark" Eldar with a ferociously vivid shade of pink and picked up some fluorescent paint.

Here comes the unfinished model...

IMG 20190525 181505

Ouch...

The issue I am having is that the paint has a very thin consistency, similar to a wash or glaze. I am applying it repeatedly in layers but I am still getting a pale appearance on the very edges. I am eventually going to shade the feathers to tone them down a bit but since it is currently sitting in the recesses I am worried that it will eventually look a lot less vivid on the upper surfaces of the feathers. 

I'm a bit stumped because most mediums I can think of are either to thin a paint down or to keep it the same consistency and dilute the pigment. Would mixing it with varnish or PVA be a terrible idea? I don't think PVA would work but am unsure about using a varnish.

Get a mixing medium. They're designed to dilute a paint without making it thinner, because the clear medium is what the paint is before pigment is added. With something thinner than a regular paint, it should give it a little more body. 

I was considering mixing the Citadel pink paints in to give it some more purchase but they aren't very good colour matches. The magenta you recommended seems very red compared to what I was expecting. Not a complaint, I am just surprised.

After having a look around it seems that Scale 75 and Vallejo have their own fluorescent ranges, in fact Vallejo have their model colour and mecha variations. I should have done more research about these paints rather than just picking the GSW version. The ones I picked go through an airbrush really smoothly but are a chore to use with a paintbrush, a bit like the Chameleon paints. I would have painted the different parts in more sub-assemblies in hindsight but I wasn't using an airbrush back when I assembled these.

Thank you both for your advice, I really appreciate the help. :smile.:

Edited by Magos Takatus

I was considering mixing the Citadel pink paints in to give it some more purchase but they aren't very good colour matches. The magenta you recommended seems very red compared to what I was expecting. Not a complaint, I am just surprised.

The Vallejo Magenta isnt as red as shown in the store pictures.

You could look into some artist ranges but here is a pic of the Vallejo bottel

ayv8-50-ef3b.jpg

I think you can see why i recommended it for pink fluo.

That's a lot closer than the images! Thank you for the extra info. I was using the paint rack app to match colours and the closest Vallejo match was supposedly squid pink or something like that. If that magenta turns out like yours that will be perfect.

I've given the Magenta mixed with the fluor paint  a go and I'm happy with the result. While not as vivid as it was, the undercoat no longer shows through so obviously. I'll put a layer of the fluor paint over the wings tomorrow and see if I can get it to regain a bit more of the punch it had. 

This has turned out to be a bit of an adventure considering it's just me messing about until the ETL starts. :)

So I thought I'd show the result for anyone that was curious. I decided the fluo pink needed some fluo purple worked into it.

IMG 20190528 203715

I am still undecided what the unpainted wing sections are going to be. I think a midtone cool grey will probably help the pink to pop more, if it doesn't do that already enough.

Once again, thank you all for the advice, it helped me out of an awkward spot getting the magenta to apply properly. :)