NiftyVT's Xana II Mechanicum

I should have the new knight up and standing sometime tomorrow! I have plastic glue and some epoxy curing now to secure the main foot to the base and the structural support for his hips.

I ended up driving the large pin in the center of his foot all the way through the foot and base. So the pin will run from the base up into his shin and provide a ton of support. I think I will also put a little 5 min epoxy down in the shin while I’m at it.

Posing is done and I plan to attach the body to the legs today. One thing that I didn’t like is his foot that’s on the ground. It kind of ended up looking like his side toes are on their tips. So I decided to build up the base around the foot to give the impression that it’s sinking down into the sand and he is pressing forward with the foot (Martian base like my other knights). So the foot will be partially buried and the sand will be built up around the sides and rear of the foot. Kind of makes sense too since all the weight would be on one foot.

• 1 month later...

your work is awesome. 

I would love for an all robot AI Men of Iron type army. I guess in 30k you can do that or get pretty close. I'd love that in 40k. Oh well I can hope.

• 4 weeks later...
I had a $100 bday gift card sitting in my FW account for the better part of a year and figured the voucher deal was as good a time as any to spend it. Grabbed a set of 3 Vorax and threw in some Blood Angel dice to bring it up to the free shipping mark. Not a bad buy for only $20 out of pocket!

your work is awesome.

I would love for an all robot AI Men of Iron type army. I guess in 30k you can do that or get pretty close. I'd love that in 40k. Oh well I can hope.

Thanks! Yeah, in 30k you can do pretty much all robots if you want. Only the HQ wouldn’t be…well it is the Mechanicum so even the HQs would probably be more machine than man. But in 30k the Mechanicum are very powerful so after smashing my enemies a few times with more optimized lists I tend to play my Mechanicum with self imposed handicaps unless asked otherwise by my opponent.

• 4 weeks later...
Was cleaning my new Vorax and one little piece is missing. Looks like it busted off in shipping and, I suspect, slipped out of the vent holes of the zip lock bag it was packaged in. . . I am just wondering who thought it was a good idea to loose pack a mini with tiny parts inside a ziplock bag that has holes in it. . .anyways, I sent an email and pictures to Forgeworld. Fingers crossed they send me a replacement. The rest of the Vorax are washed and ready for detailed clean up.

Ha! FW is sending a replacement part and their email is pretty funny.

“I am sorry about the missing part from your kit, It looks like someone let the mail order troll out of his cage for the evening and as a small riot and minor skirmishes followed the chaos of his "night on the town" your order was left without a few key components.

I have sent you the parts you have requested in order for you to complete your kit. Your order will be sent out as soon as possible and hopefully without troll dribble all over it.

Some parts may be shipped from the office if we have some spare otherwise a replacement order will be raised on our online web store and a confirmation email will follow shortly.”

• 2 weeks later...

For whatever reason I just ordered more Knight accessories from Taro Model Maker. :whistling: He just released these really cool "Helping Hands" arms for knights and I just couldnt pass up making my own custom Knight Lancer. I mentioned to him that he should make some old school close combat heads/gun heads (like the old epic titan concept sketches) and he responded that it was an awesome idea and that he couldnt wait to get started on designing some! I just envisioned the little helping hands holding something while he headbutted it into submission or  shot at it point blank with a melta gun face. So, Once I get these parts in and grab another plastic Chaos knight I will build it out but it will be headless. I might even paint it but it will remain headless until Taro gets around to making some cool heads. I might try my hand at a conversion if I get bored but I would rather get a Taro one.

Oh, and my first 3 Vorax are done assembly and I am starting in on the 2nd 3. Over on the painting side of  my desk I should be able to finish up my latest batch of Blood Angels tomorrow.  Then I can start doing the brush work on the Chaos knight. . .all the trim! 

• 1 month later...

Murder turkeys gonna murder.

51503898598_d0656b0851_c.jpgUntitled by nifty, on Flickr

A few weeks ago I also welcomed a new Tech Adept to the Nifty household, he was 6lbs 11oz. So, I am off work for another 9 or so weeks but hobby time is, of course, limited to nap time. . .sometimes. :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

Primed!

51539568128_dc563c9203_c.jpgUntitled by nifty, on Flickr

Hobby tip of the day: If you have older or almost empty airbrush paint filter it as you put it in your airbrush! I use an actual mesh paint filter from a local hardware store. The filter is large (fits over a 5 gallon bucket of paint) so I just cut a little section out of it and hold it over my airbrush cup as I fill it up. I primed the above with Stynylrez black. The bottle is large, old and almost empty so when I shake it up little bits of dried paint break free from the inside of the bottle and below are the results. If I didnt filter it my airbrush would get clogged up ASAP and I would be constantly fighting my airbrush instead of laying down paint!

51539324796_8ece4f5f34_c.jpgUntitled by nifty, on Flickr

Little bit of back log work. No idea why I worked on this but I saw it in my 'needs work' case and just grabbed it and finished blocking it in over the past few days. I mean its only been sitting around at the airbrushed stage for a couple years.:teehee: Next is gloss and transfers. I might wait on the gloss until I have some other things to gloss at the same time. . .maybe. . .say. . .some Knight armor panels? :whistling:

51546008816_ff9cfd37e9_c.jpgUntitled by nifty, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great work. I feel a bit off attempting to offer any criticism as your work is way beyond my ability.  Here goes any way.  There is a detail that struck me about your original questoris .  It has strikingly red feet.  On a all off-white model, it is a stand out.  When I saw it I was wondering if there was a Story behind it.  I was hoping to see it repeated in the other units.  My hope was not paid off.   This to me is a opportunity lost.  I was thinking it was homage to sacred Mars.  It was not even repeated on the other knights though so it looks like it was just a one off.  I suppose that One knight ( who has different weapons from Time to Time) once Walked sacred Mars...  Sorry if the Fluff nazi in me is out of line here.  

edit

The New tank dose have red dirt on the treads.  This is the look I was feeling.

Edited by Lord Lorne Walkier