Unit of the Week: Deathmarks

NTaW

47833310252_ac595e79b1_c.jpg

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week Series!

Each week a different unit will be highlighted for discussion until we have amalgamated a full list of our available options and their relevant tactics as 8th edition evolves. We already have a few previous entries but things change as FAQs and Chapter Approved books get released and we playtest new ideas so please feel free to reopen a topic when new options become relevant for discussion.

Please keep in mind this isn't to lament the status of featured units or compare them to others but to try and find their potential for all types of gameplay.

This week’s unit is:

47119427274_2fe737bc7d_z.jpg

As a loose guide, here are some questions we could answer to help out any who happen upon our metallic little corner of the B&C:

• What size unit do you feel works best?

• What Code do you prefer?

• What synergies have you found with other units?

• Are there any stratagems that specifically buff this unit?

• Do you build your list around this unit or use it to fill some points?

• What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this unit?

Now over to you!

Edited by NTaW

I love deathmarks. They aren't very effective at killing due to low number of shots and weak ap, but they are dangerous enough that they make opponents cautious. The deep strike shenanigans are a unique utility, though. Being able to force someone to deploy a unit away from the hq they need can be priceless. Using them like that made scions not a worthwhile unit anymore; they deep strike, I deploy deathmarks in such a way that the officer can't land close enough to issue orders (or at least kill a few of the squad so they aren't shooting at full strength).

I honestly have not used them yet in 40k...i have used them in Killteam though :devil:  to great effect...

i look forward to hearing peoples insights and tips on using this unit!... they are a good looking unit too

Mithril

Ive never had great success with them. I think Tyriks usage to mess with opponents DS plans is the best use for them. Or at least when I think about list building with them, that’s the role I see them playing

Even as rapid fire weapons their sniper rifles are pretty mediocre. S4 ap- isn’t anything special, and it’s hard to get any rerolls on them to help get the 6s to wound for mortals. That being said you could give them mephrit dynasty for the ap boost.

Overall I find them too costly for what they do, and would rather use the points on immortals.

Running interference on enemies coming in from reserve is something I hadn't considered in that way, previously only considering them as sort of a mobile Auspex Scan stratagem a la Marine Codex books. Being able to suddenly make an area that was clear for landing unavailable in a moment while units are being placed is very worth considering. I assume the standard clause for Necrons of "max unit size" could even be lifted for these models if you're looking more into using them to disrupt (re)deployment, though I'm always tempted for the sake of RP rolls.

i use the deathmarks mostly as objective grabbers or distraction units. i never found it useful to have a 10 man squad. MSU is better with deathmarks.

i have mostly used mephrit dynasty when i use deathmarks.

choice of dynasty to use with deathmarks.

1. mephrit - that ap -1 is great in any situation

2. novokh - charging deathmarks on weak cc enemy units holding objectives (no MEQ)

I love the look of them and the idea behind the unit. I've never used them in 8th or previous editions (didnt have the models, couldnt bother to proxy) but it seems I havent missed anything about them... yet.

Love to see them getting better weapons or someting though. Stalking silent sniper killers... yeah. :)

Nice series btw, love to see how all the units work and all the ideas behind them. :tu: