Plague Bus

McElMcNinja

I just competed in my 3rd big tournament (50+ players) this year and again I surprised yet more opponents with the Plague Bus. In the fifth game I was up against a Cerastus knight that was his warlord and had 27 wounds. First turn he ran right up the middle of the the board to capture an objective. My first turn I advance the bus and get within 7" of his knight. Cast warptime on the Rhino which allows me to disembark my squad, I then cast Blades on them. Threw 8x d6 grenades using both the Putrifiers grenades and VotLW, did 13 MW and he failed 3 saves and took 6 more wounds. Blightspawn got him for another 6 wounds. Come charge phase my guys did another 7 MWs, more then enough to destroy it.

He even called the judge over (which wasn't the first time) to see if I was allowed to disembark with warptime. As I explained to my opponent, these are the rules for disembarking.

Disembark: Any unit that begins its Movement phase embarked within a transport can disembark before the transport moves. When a unit disembarks, set it up on the battle eld so that all of its models are within 3" of the transport and not within 1" of any enemy models – any disembarking model that cannot be set up in this way is slain.

Units that disembark can then act normally (move, shoot, charge, ght, etc.) during the remainder of their turn. Note though,

that even if you don’t move disembarking units further in your Movement phase, they still count as having moved for any rules purposes, such as shooting Heavy weapons.

My unit was embarked in the transport at the beginning of my movement phase and they disembarked before the transport moved. Nowhere does it state they can only disembark in the movement phase, it just say before the transport moves. The judge also threw in that warptime states the unit moves as if it were the movement phase.

But every time a judge has been called to my table, it has always been ruled this way.

Does anyone else do this?

Very cool! The problem with this is that it only works if your opponent doesn't know about it. A good player will never let the PM squad come in range of his juicy targets. Plus if the rhino pops, they have to go by foot.

Anyway congrats for pulling it off, must have felt amazing!

Wait I just checked the rules, I'm not sure what you have done is legal ahah.

By RAW, it's legal. The Rhino moved BEFORE the movement phase, and when the Movement phase started the squad in it could disembark.

It's very cheeky, but legal :lol:

Wait...

The disembark rule says that the unit can disembark at the start of ITS movement phase, not the movement phase of the transport, since you can't target the unit inside a trasport with psychic powers, warptime can only be cast on the rhino itself and does not extend the effect on the unit inside, so casting it does nothing to them, you can just move the rhino one more time.

At least this is how I see it...

Amy unit that begins its movement phase embarked within a transport can disembark before the transport moves.

Who can disembark: Any unit that begins its movement phase embarked within a transport.

When can they disembark: Before the transport moves.

That is how it has been ruled by judges and games workshop employees. I will accept their rulings.

It looks like fun strategy! What is the plague Bus?

Also can you use it without warptime?

I think it needs warp time to pull off as you need that power to effectively create a second movement phase for it

How did you get Warp time in? Allied chaos sorcerer or nurgle sorcerer on palequin?

Also what do people think to trying this with something like a landraider/ spartan/ Blightlords combo?

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki

I use a purged detachment with Sorcerer and Cultists. I have also tried Possessed, but their lack of shooting made me stop.

I don't have a landraider so I haven't had an opportunity to try anything like that. I'm not sure I would use one for Blightlords, I think having for deep strike makes them a bigger threat and makes up for their movement.

Besides those units, Death Guard really don't have any other viable options for this.

And I use the Rhino to either charge in before my PM's to absorb the overwatch or use it grab a nearby objective.

I just competed in my 3rd big tournament (50+ players) this year and again I surprised yet more opponents with the Plague Bus. In the fifth game I was up against a Cerastus knight that was his warlord and had 27 wounds. First turn he ran right up the middle of the the board to capture an objective. My first turn I advance the bus and get within 7" of his knight. Cast warptime on the Rhino which allows me to disembark my squad, I then cast Blades on them. Threw 8x d6 grenades using both the Putrifiers grenades and VotLW, did 13 MW and he failed 3 saves and took 6 more wounds. Blightspawn got him for another 6 wounds. Come charge phase my guys did another 7 MWs, more then enough to destroy it.

He even called the judge over (which wasn't the first time) to see if I was allowed to disembark with warptime. As I explained to my opponent, these are the rules for disembarking.

Disembark: Any unit that begins its Movement phase embarked within a transport can disembark before the transport moves. When a unit disembarks, set it up on the battle eld so that all of its models are within 3" of the transport and not within 1" of any enemy models – any disembarking model that cannot be set up in this way is slain.

Units that disembark can then act normally (move, shoot, charge, ght, etc.) during the remainder of their turn. Note though,

that even if you don’t move disembarking units further in your Movement phase, they still count as having moved for any rules purposes, such as shooting Heavy weapons.

My unit was embarked in the transport at the beginning of my movement phase and they disembarked before the transport moved. Nowhere does it state they can only disembark in the movement phase, it just say before the transport moves. The judge also threw in that warptime states the unit moves as if it were the movement phase.

But every time a judge has been called to my table, it has always been ruled this way.

Does anyone else do this?

"Disembark: Any unit that begins its Movement phase embarked within a transport can disembark before the transport moves."

This is pretty clear that disembarking happens during the embarked units movement phase. I find it hard to believe anyone in any official capacity would miss the obvious context supplied within the rule. Surely this anecdote didn't really happen, did it? I mean, I get that the box-out for Transports isn't under the Movement Phase heading, but in a separate section; but the context in which the unit disembarks isn't even separated from the rest of the rule by any punctuation or anything. If Warp Time caused the embarked unit to move as though it were the movement phase, then I could see the argument in favour of this, but there's nothing to support a psychic power acting on a transport affecting its occupants that I can find. 

EDIT: Hang on, it was actually FAQ'ed in July 2017: 

Q: Can I embark within a transport at any time other than in the Movement phase, such as following a consolidate move that takes a unit within 3" of a transport?

A: No. You may only embark within or disembark a transport in the Movement phase, unless a rule or ability explicitly says otherwise.

No disembarking except during the movement phase. Warp time doesn't affect occupants, occupants can't disembark. 

Edited by CastellanDeMolay

Thank you for pointing that out, as I have never read that. Makes me wonder now if the last judge who ruled in my favor said it only works because the spell says "as if it were the movement phase", also assumed that made it legal.

Definitely not going to do it again unless see otherwise.