Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Multiple GW paint products are being dropped & repackaged.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,747 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Just got the news from my FLGS. Make your orders because these items in their current form are "while stocks last".

He knows for sure that the spray cans are gone, the Edge paint will be repackaged as layer paint and Textures will have new labels. Some of the other products might get new bottles (probably size-wise, I guess Glazes and Air are a good candidate).

He should know more by Wednesday, I'll try to update this thread then. The items affected by this are:
  • Glaze paints
  • Caliban Spray, Stormvermin Fur, The Fang & Averland Sunset spray cans
  • Textures all in 24 ml size
  • Textures 12 ml - Lustrian Undergrowth, Mourn Mountain Snow, Blackfire  Earth
  • Air paint as well as the thinner
  • Lahmian Medium & Ardcoat
  • Edge 
  • And lastly Ceramite White (we won't miss that one!)

• N1SB, Elzender and Brokejaw Gutripper like this

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

Lorgar signed the pact for his soul with crayons,

Erebus drinks recaf made with keel water of the Furious Abyss

and Kor Phaeron's mum was an abhuman!
- Blackclad Hools of Rogal Dorn

Boyadventurer

Boyadventurer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 341 posts

Crap, I'm going to have to stock up on Lahmian medium, as expensive as it is. I just can't find another medium that works like it and it's become a staple of some of my wash mixes.

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpggallery_45765_13882_2878.pnggallery_96397_14126_674.png

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,747 posts

It's possible that it will get rebottled into 24 ml for example. 

I'll get back to you guys once I know more :)

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 888 posts

No more Ceramite White? Dang, what else am I going to use to seal the cracks in my walls!?

• Prot, feuer_faust, Retributis and 14 others like this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 872 posts
Mmm, might have to go to the GW store to pick up an Averland Sunset spray, it is quite useful for Imperial Fists and although I will probably give a try to the new contrast paints, it is always a good idea to have a backup if I'm not convinced by them.
It also makes kinda sense that they would discontinue the coloured sprays in favour of the new primers + contrast layer, although it would probably be wiser to keep all options for the different painting styles. Maybe they will adapt the new spray formula to more colours?

At any rate, thank you Reclusiarch Krieg for the heads up!

Edited by Elzender, 27 May 2019 - 05:49 PM.

• Reclusiarch Krieg likes this

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Fenriwolf

Fenriwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists

Averland Sunset spray cans

And there goes any chance  i had to finally painting 2 of my 3 armies

Edited by Fenriwolf, 27 May 2019 - 06:09 PM.

Boyadventurer

Boyadventurer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 341 posts

It's possible that it will get rebottled into 24 ml for example. 

I'll get back to you guys once I know more smile.png

Yeah y'know what, I was just reading one of the Warcom articles about the contrast paints and they were talking about how much people love Lahmian, so it probably is a rebottle. It would be a big snub to go on about how much people love it and then just pull it shortly after haha.

Edited by Brother Tyler, 27 May 2019 - 09:02 PM.
Profanity removed

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpggallery_45765_13882_2878.pnggallery_96397_14126_674.png

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,747 posts

If you're after a yellow army (Imperial Fist style), white and either twice Cassandora Yellow or one of the new yellow Contrast Paints will give you much better results than Averland Spray ever can (not to mention it was a trap because the spray color didn't match the paint color).

• Aurica and Brokejaw Gutripper like this

Hellebras

Hellebras

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 113 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists, Word Bearers

If you're after a yellow army (Imperial Fist style), white and either twice Cassandora Yellow or one of the new yellow Contrast Paints will give you much better results than Averland Spray ever can (not to mention it was a trap because the spray color didn't match the paint color).

I only needed it as a good basecoat for a complete layer of Yriel Yellow. I can achieve the same by painting from the pot, but the spray was quicker. I'll see if I can get a couple of cans this week, otherwise it could be a real pain.

sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pnggallery_45765_12908_1745.pnggallery_45765_12339_1383.png

Fenriwolf

Fenriwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists

My main problem is i cant uniformly basecoat for the life of me

I just managed to find a way with the spray,as unoptimal as that was.With that gone,i'm dead in the water

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,013 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
I bet lahmian and hardcoat are going to the big bottles, and then they’ll have four mediums in the same containers
  • Stoic Raptor and Marshal Loss like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts
Urg. Averland is the basis of my AT Fire Wasps carapaces. I just use it as sprayed. I guess future titans aren’t going to match then.

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

Glazes I can see being retired, or just rebottled in 24ml. Maybe the air paints are switching to droppers? Hah, of course not, that'd be sane. I don't use them that much, but it is handy sometimes to have a colour match to an existing layer colour. And a 50/50 mix of Kantor and Abaddon worked nicely as a base for black armour.

Relabelling the edge paints as layers makes sense as the distinction always seemed pretty abitrary given the consistency, and I too suspect the mediums are just getting rebottled to 24ml. Doesn't affect me personally, I've switched to army painter wash mixing medium for thinning shades while keeping them wash like, and instar water+ for everything else with a hairy stick.

And don't knock ceramite white. Think about all the people that have been introduced to the wider, cheaper world of other paint makers in their search for a white that doesn't dry like flock wallpaper.

• Interrogator Stobz likes this

gallery_48988_15094_5165.pnggallery_48988_15094_7152.pnggallery_48988_15094_1516.pnggallery_48988_15094_1786.pnggallery_48988_15094_4552.pnggallery_48988_15094_3029.png ​​​gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpgETL_Medal_01.gif

Zectz

Zectz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 194 posts

<p>

Just got the news from my FLGS. Make your orders because these items in their current form are "while stocks last".

He knows for sure that the spray cans are gone, the Edge paint will be repackaged as layer paint and Textures will have new labels. Some of the other products might get new bottles (probably size-wise, I guess Glazes and Air are a good candidate).

He should know more by Wednesday, I'll try to update this thread then. The items affected by this are:

• Glaze paints
  • Caliban Spray, Stormvermin Fur, The Fang & Averland Sunset spray cans
  • Textures all in 24 ml size
  • Textures 12 ml - Lustrian Undergrowth, Mourn Mountain Snow, Blackfire Earth
  • Air paint as well as the thinner
  • Lahmian Medium & Ardcoat
  • Edge
  • And lastly Ceramite White (we won't miss that one!)

Ok. I’ve done lots of investigating and if you go to the new citadel color website and watch all the new tutorial most of this makes sense and are 90% repackaged.

The only one which seems to be disappearing are the glazes. If you watch the new glazing tutorial on citadel color you will see they are using a contrast paint + *contrast* medium to make a glaze and they explain that. So the glazes are probably gone.

The spray cans are probably being renamed or are disappearing because of the new spray colors we got in wraith bone and grey seer.

About medium and ardcoat. The mediums don’t seem to be going as in the new medium video they show *both* the old lahmium and the new contrast medium which is in the big bottle. If you watch the new varnish you can see we are getting a NEW varnish called Stormshield. They specify that ardcoat is glossy while stormshield is matte. These are in bigger bottles. Perfect.

Also on the “protecting your models” video they show 2 spray varnishes which as far as I know they only sell 1 at the moment. The new one being called “purity seal” and they say it’s gloss while the current munitorium varnish is a “near matte”.

The texture paints seems to be renamed technical instead but are not going anywhere. In the basing videos Duncan calls these paint like Stirland Mud “a technical paint that has texture in it”. And in the video when they put the banner at the top with the paint name being used in the video it says “Stirland Mud - Technical”. So I’m sure all of these are staying just being repackaged. Why though is the better question... They seem to just want fewer paint label categories to make things less confusing?

And all the edge is being relabeled to layer which makes sense.
  • Arkhanist likes this

OrkPlayer137

OrkPlayer137

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts

'Ardcoat is definitely getting a big bottle - it is shown in a tutorial on the new Citadel paint website, alongside a new Matte paint-on varnish called Stormshield.

Edit: sorry, I see this was already mentioned in the previous post!

Edited by OrkPlayer137, 27 May 2019 - 10:06 PM.

LordValrak

LordValrak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,458 posts

Well I just stocked up on my yellow Glaze just incase!

Mt7WQJG.png

-----------
Youtube - Twitch - Discord - Twitter - Steam Warhammer Group

-----------

My WIP Executioners Chapter  happy.png

Triszin

Triszin

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,654 posts

gonna nab some Fang & storm vermin spray. I quite like them.

• Dark Shepherd likes this
banana

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts

The new contrast paints are most of the way to a glaze already so that does kinda make sense and most uses are pretty sparing, though anyone reliant on a particular current shade for a scheme will probably find it annoying.

The texture paints being merged into the technical brand does make this Contrast poster make more sense now.

Fest2019-Sat10-Flowchart4ujd.jpg

gallery_48988_15094_5165.pnggallery_48988_15094_7152.pnggallery_48988_15094_1516.pnggallery_48988_15094_1786.pnggallery_48988_15094_4552.pnggallery_48988_15094_3029.png ​​​gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpgETL_Medal_01.gif

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,747 posts

OK, news UPDATE! Just got the listing from the FLGS.

Returning FW paint + new stuff, all via GW:

Base (12ml)
Corax White
Phoenecian Purple
Death Korps Drab
Gal Vorbak Red
Night Lords Blue
Nocturne Green
Corvus Black
Lupercal Green
Iron Hands Steel
Grey Knights Steel
Iron Warriors
Barak-Nar Burgundy
Catachan Fleshtone
Morghast Bone
Wraithbone
Grey Seer

Layer (12 ml)
KAKOPHONI PURPLE
SONS OF HORUS GREEN
Phalanx Yellow
Castellax Bronze
VULKAN GREEN
WORD BEARERS RED
Bloodreaver Flesh
Knight-questor Flesh

Technical (24 ml)
Contrast Medium
Stormshield
Mordant Earth

Air 24 ml
ANGRON RED CLEAR
CALTH BLUE CLEAR
DEATHSHROUD CLEAR
EIDOLON PRPLE CLR
MORTARION GREEN
PHOENICIAN PURPLE
PYROCLAST ORANGE
SIGISMUND YELLOW
Night Lords Blue
Death Korps Drab
Vulkan Green
Corvus Black
Chemos Purple
Typhon Ash
Sons of Horus Green
Phalanx Yellow
Kakophoni Purple
Nocturne Green
Lupercal Green
Gal Vorbak Red
Word Bearers Red
Castellax Bronze
Valdor Gold
Iron Hands Steel
Grey Knights Steel
Thallax Gold

Contrast 18 ml
Gryph-hound Orange
Fleshtearers Red
Volupus Pink
Shyish Purple
Magus Purple
Leviadon Blue
Ultramarines Blue
Akhelian Green
Dark Angels Green
Nazdreg Yellow
Ork Flesh
Creed Camo
Militarum Green
Aggaros Dunes
Skeleton Horde
Snakebite Leather
Goregrunta Fur
Cygor Brown
Wyldwood
Fyreslayer Flesh
Darkoath Flesh
Apothecary White
Gryph-charger Grey
Space Wolves Grey
Basilicanum Grey
Black Templar
Talassar Blue
Warp Lightning
Aethermatic Blue
Plaguebearer Flesh
Terradon Turquoise
Iyanden Yellow
Blood Angels Red
Guilliman Flesh

Spray
Wraithbone Spray
Grey Seer Spray

And now, CHANGES!
Citadel Air all switch to 24 ml, nothing's gone
Citadel Edge become layer paint, nothing's gone
Ardcoat i Lahmian switch to 24 ml
Textury switch to Technical. The ones that had 24 ml variants remain, those that were 12 ml exclusively are gone.
All sprays I've listed before are gone.
All four glaze paints are gone.

Boom! :D

• PeteySödes, Shadow Captain Vyper, Triszin and 9 others like this

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts

I am gonna need more space in my paint rack...

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 721 posts
Worth mentioning that air paints and glazes are not mentioned once on their new paint site. Also glazing as a technique is, using highly thinned down contrast paint.. Take all that for advance what its worth.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,731 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Astartes

Army Painter Desert Yellow is an exact (as far as my eye can see) match to Averland Sunset Spray

• Stoic Raptor likes this

gallery_48988_10069_135.png

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 701 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

No more Ceramite White? Dang, what else am I going to use to seal the cracks in my walls!?

Don't laugh I actually used this to fix a damaged  part of a lower part of the wall where I dropped my weights at home. Still feel like such a basic bro for doing this.... 

• Noserenda, Larkyn, Kierdale and 3 others like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Ashenwyte

Ashenwyte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 213 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Oh boy, glad to see the FW paints return. It does make my painful efforts to recreate the Sons of Horus colours pointless but I'd rather have them than whatever concoction I can brew. Maybe I'll return to Sons of Horus after all hmmmm.

Looks to be an expensive week for paints. :o 

• Parweke and Kierdale like this

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts
Thanks for all the info Krieg. Just to confirm: if you didn’t mention a spray at all, it’s staying right?

Because if Leadbelcher spray is gone too, I’m going to be inconsolable...
  • Kierdale likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users