The tricky thing is a realistic pattern. Some tutorials I've seen have talked about smooth lines but actual marble patterns often look quite jagged.

Yes, I know what you mean there. Here's a couple of tricks I've got, they might be helpful.

1, you may have noticed when you wick away the excess wash the tide mark at the edge isn't dry. It's actually quite delicate, but can be gently pushed around with a brush. This let's you alter the 'marble veins' as you create them.

2, After the washes have dried I got back with a small detail brush and add fine jagged lines with ink. But not very many - less is more here. For my red panels I use purple ink as black would be too stark.

Good tips here. As you say, the wash approach doesn't really work with black. But each attempt at hand painting them gets better, which is encouraging.

I've got a feeling there might end up being too much going on once I combine the wings and lightning bolts I'm adding, the glowing symbols and marble effects. Could look good though.

• 2 weeks later...