Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Contrast Paints and Baby Blue Space Wolves

Space Wolves Contrast

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

I will freely admit to finding painting the armour of my SW dull, dull, dull.  I know that when I have half an hour to spare to paint I look at the armour plates and think, I might just build another model instead.

Then Contrast paints come along and I think maybe all the hundreds of models I built (instead of painting the armour on the model sat on my desk) could finally get worked on.  Now from the word go GW will say SW will need this paint to achieve Space Wolves Grey (the Fang with some highlights), well I don't paint that way, the main armour plates for me are the light Baby Blue a few people hate, but I don't care I've been painting SW for 20+ years and I like the colour:

Battle Leader 2 30

So why this thread?  I want to hear from anyone who might have had a chance to use the paints and might even share my love of the most Brutal Loyal Chapter being painted in the colours of the baby-grow you'd place on a new born boy.  To you I say, how are you gonna do it????

• Lord Ragnarok, Doctor Perils, Wakkomaster and 2 others like this

Sorry I'm late, I didn't want to be here

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,448 posts
  • Faction: SW? IDK anymore, and DG
From what I read on reddit, it seems the new contrast paint is much more neutral grey toned and less blue toned. Think they said it was the 3rd or 4th darkest color.

Here is a good picture of space wolf grey in bottom right.
https://2.bp.blogspo...0512_151003.jpg

If you want baby blue you are going to have to find a different color like talassar blue (mixed with some medium to tone down the blue strength) in upper left here.
https://3.bp.blogspo...0512_150956.jpg

Edited by Jarl Caldersson, 28 May 2019 - 10:36 PM.

• Lord Ragnarok likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image
"It has been said that the Lord of Ultramar sees little else besides the primacy of his own culture. For him, all worlds might as well be Ultramar." - Diplomat Pyke
"I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has a hidden depth that one" - Primarch Fulgrim
"The Wolves were the Emperor’s red right hand–monsters in their own way–but how easy it was to only see the savage, to fear the axe and miss the subtle knife." - Prmomus

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 724 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I think you could get the blue effect with the off white, then a thinned coat of a light grey with the talassar blue. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts

Thanks brothers, it's odd that when you see the Space Wolves Grey Contrast applied, on neither of the different bases does it look like the darker blue GW Space Wolves colour scheme we normally see.  I'm hoping I can try a few test runs out at my local GW store before I splash out too much cash on different paints.

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 858 posts

Thank you Jarl Caldersson. Unfortunately I don't think those contract paints would work for my space wolves. :(

They look really good for an organic looking army. The blue and red look good for armor.

*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,295 posts
Yea I’m mostly hoping I can play with the white one for plasma coils or frost weapons.

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,986 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Here's what I managed with the space wolf grey contrast paint today at my local GW, and a standard (fang undercoat/russ base (2 thin coats)/agrax recess shade/fenrisian grey highlights) for comparison :
da756a529c257c4341dbe74e139d8486ba4752a6 - 0700b6da97d8984efe415cd06ee014ecad2bc2c6

Please note that this is 2 coats of space wolf grey

Edited by Ciler, 09 June 2019 - 08:49 AM.

• Dantay VI likes this
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
BT Album link, Thread on the BT subforum, Thread on the TS subforum, TS album link.

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts
Thanks for the pics brother, I think for me it's going to be too dark for my style, might give the apocathory white a try.

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,986 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Thanks for the pics brother, I think for me it's going to be too dark for my style, might give the apocathory white a try.

Please note my edit above, this is 2 coats of the contrast grey, one coat would come out much lighter.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
BT Album link, Thread on the BT subforum, Thread on the TS subforum, TS album link.

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts

Please note my edit above, this is 2 coats of the contrast grey, one coat would come out much lighter.

Thanks for update, one coat might work. I've pre-ordered the paints so give them a blast next weekend.

GrFlur

GrFlur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

I've ordered wolf grey as well to see how it develops for me

Howl to the Moon, you won't regret it. 

24.jpgETL_VI_Banner_ETL_VI_Magister_Faction_AsETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpg

Harald Fairmane

Harald Fairmane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts

Courtesy of our brothers over at Reddit;

Cıtadel have been able to put both the grey and blue sceme ın one bottle ıt seems, dependıng on the prımer you use.

ıt wıll turn out gray(ish) wıth the grey seer prımer (1)

c974y1h616331.jpg

and blue wıth the Wraıth bone prımer (2)

lMPsUUU.jpg

Edited by Harald Fairmane, 10 June 2019 - 07:46 AM.

• Filius and Karhedron like this

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts

Courtesy of our brothers over at Reddit;

Cıtadel have been able to put both the grey and blue sceme ın one bottle ıt seems, dependıng on the prımer you use.

ıt wıll turn out gray(ish) wıth the grey seer prımer (1)

c974y1h616331.jpg

and blue wıth the Wraıth bone prımer (2)

lMPsUUU.jpg

That is closer to my colour scheme. But I'm torn as I think I like the warmer colour created with the Wraith Bone primer.

The other option for me would be keep with the standard greyseer and then do an all over drybrush of Stormfang to bring out the baby blue colour.

Edited by sbarnby71, 10 June 2019 - 10:28 AM.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,295 posts
Man you really gotta annihilate those mild lines with these though. I’m not sure which shade I like better, they’re both pretty nice.

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts

Man you really gotta annihilate those mild lines with these though. I’m not sure which shade I like better, they’re both pretty nice.

Yeah the contrast paints won't be forgiving of the mould lines, I tend to remove as much as I can, then base coat which shows up what I've missed and I do a second clean up, won't be so easy with these new paints.

Black_Star

Black_Star

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 567 posts

I like the grey better than the blue, I'm pretty excited to try these, I just probably will use them more as tool for certain mini's then as miracle product.

Yeah the contrast paints won't be forgiving of the mould lines, I tend to remove as much as I can, then base coat which shows up what I've missed and I do a second clean up, won't be so easy with these new paints.

It shouldn't be any different though, because of the two base coats that you have to use first. I think the mold lines will still show up fairly well with the grey seer or wraithbone.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,295 posts

I like the grey better than the blue, I'm pretty excited to try these, I just probably will use them more as tool for certain mini's then as miracle product.

It shouldn't be any different though, because of the two base coats that you have to use first. I think the mold lines will still show up fairly well with the grey seer or wraithbone.

For sure, somewhat ironic that the easier method thats really great for beginning hobbyists tends to really highlight mistakes. Thats how we learn though! I just found the lighter color to be especially glaring.

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts
Just saw the GW video on painting SW with the contrast paints... undercoat mechanicum grey, base with the fang, contrast with space wolves grey, drybrush with etherium blue. So I don't see the point in the contrast paint here, it's just making the fang slightly darker. Just a replacement for Nuln Oil in this setup.

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,833 posts
  • Faction: Conclave of Shadows

Just obscure them with more primer!

gallery_12375_5740_34637.jpggallery_12375_5740_49348.jpg
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
  • Faction: The Hand at the Gate

Just obscure them with more primer!
LOL. I’ve tried that, but not on purpose and I didn’t like the way it turned out.

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

DBadger

DBadger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 232 posts

I forgot to order the sprays so when my paints come I'll only have either skull white*, stormvenim fur or codex grey* (*whatever those are called nowadays) pots. I'm going to start priming some models for when my contrast paints do arrive. What's my best bet for an undercoat for a baby blue SW?

Edited by DBadger, 12 June 2019 - 04:39 PM.

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts

I forgot to order the sprays so when my paints come I'll only have either skull white*, stormvenim fur or codex grey* (*whatever those are called nowadays) pots. I'm going to start priming some models for when my contrast paints do arrive. What's my best bet for an undercoat for a baby blue SW?

So from everything I've seen and read you need the recommended primer due to the smoothness of the finish they give. Greyseer looks like the best base to give the light blue finish. I'm still not convinced I'm gonna get the baby blue I'm after.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,062 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

I see these and other images making the rounds on social media

You might find it useful to see what the base and paint combinations result in

I personally like the grey seer and basilicanum grey

gallery_49686_15551_24853.jpg

Edited by TiguriusX, 12 June 2019 - 08:15 PM.

• NightHowler and Dark Shepherd like this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpg

Radu

Radu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 75 posts

So from everything I've seen and read you need the recommended primer due to the smoothness of the finish they give. Greyseer looks like the best base to give the light blue finish. I'm still not convinced I'm gonna get the baby blue I'm after.

I was listening to a podcast, I think it was The Long War (maybe), and they said the deal with the spray primer is that it has a small amount of semi-gloss mixed in, which allows the contrast paints to work better over it. It might be possible to achieve the same effect with regular spray primers and then hitting the model with a thin coat of semi-gloss and then contrast if you don't want to buy everything. Just a thought.

Self Medicated - As a good Wolf should be!

RikuEru

RikuEru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,087 posts

I personally like the grey seer and basilicanum grey

gallery_49686_15551_24853.jpg

I agree, BUT I think it will take some time to get a smooth finish with it.
Some of the more vibrant colours are more forgiving, while i found the grey a bit more tricky to get right.

There is a fine balance between superfast but kinda sloppy and too slow, kinda spotty finish (atleast with the warm temperatures we have currently)

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Space Wolves, Contrast

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users