Contrast Paints and Baby Blue Space Wolves

sbarnby71

Just had a very quick play with Contrast at the local GW store, now the store Manager say's to me Space Wolves Grey, is very grey.  So we did a quick test of Greyseer Base, a quick and light Contrast of Space Wolves Grey, let that dry for 5 mins under a heater, then a very quick dry-brush of Stormfang:

Contrast

It does not look too bad, without the dry-brush it was a no-go for me, but as most of the raised areas of the armour stayed grey(ish) the light dry-brush gave me a slight baby-blue.  I think you can see that in the lower section of the backpack where the dry-brush was not done.

A few more passes with the dry-brush and I think I'd be happy.
Edited by sbarnby71

One thing, the dry-brushing was not done well, the store manager did say after he did it, woops that paint was not dried enough when I did that.

Now I should be getting my Contrast paints this lunchtime, so I hope to get a proper session tonight/tomorrow and get some better pictures posted.

I was planning on using the contrast wolf-grey over the fang directly but maybe it's to dark and over the russ grey give more touch to it?

I also want to see for real this black templar, for weapons seems a perfect fit! (over a leadblecher base)

Was just watching this video and I think the contrast would work really well for the fur on larger wolves (Thunderwolves), as you'd be able to do stripes and patch work really easily:

Check it out about 4m 50s in.  Also that first blue he uses (Talassar Blue), if that was thinned down with the medium that could work to give a warmer baby blue power armour.

Got my hands on some Contrast today and did some tests using the Grey Seer base - pot not spray which might explain some rubbish results with the Space Wolves Grey:

Contrast 3

As you can see the SW Grey Contrast turned out awful, I figure I did something wrong cause that is truly, truly awful. 

Bottom Left: 50/50 mix of The Army Painter QuickShade Blue Tone with Vallejo Matt Medium - the best of the bunch.
Bottom Right: Contrast Space Wolves Grey - terrible!
Top Left: The Army Painter QuickShade Blue Tone - too dark.
Top Right: Drakenhof Nightshade - way too dark. 

I'm tempted by a 2nd coat of the 50/50 mix of the Blue Tone and Matt Medium.  Now I think the new base paint Grey Seer helped with the 50/50 mix as I've tried this before and it looked rubbish.

I'm going to head into the local GW store tomorrow and show them my pitiful attempt at Contrast and see what I did wrong, maybe as I used the pot paint and not the spray or was it my technique as it did not come out like the test they did for me last week:

Contrast

I quite like the contrast paints so far. Indeed, my use of them at the local GW in pre-order week is what made me decide to paint my Primaris as Space Wolves.

However, I am having great difficulty in achieving a consistent finish across different models....Sometimes the coat is excellent, others it looks far too thin and others it drowns everything out. I am using the Grey Seer spray over a Mech Standard Grey undercoat. Guess it is just practice with these new paints....I'm never going to be an excellent painter, but these paints have improved the quality of my work I think. 

I quite like the contrast paints so far. Indeed, my use of them at the local GW in pre-order week is what made me decide to paint my Primaris as Space Wolves.

However, I am having great difficulty in achieving a consistent finish across different models....Sometimes the coat is excellent, others it looks far too thin and others it drowns everything out. I am using the Grey Seer spray over a Mech Standard Grey undercoat. Guess it is just practice with these new paints....I'm never going to be an excellent painter, but these paints have improved the quality of my work I think. 

I think a lot of practice is the only way forward, but it feels too hit and miss for me, I want consistent results and I don't see that happening easily.  Post some pics of your progress if you have some, would be good to see how you are getting on.

Has anyone tried to use contrast paints over the fang spray?

GW did a video of this on their new Colour website, it just ends up looking like a replacement for shading with Nuln Oil and to me it does not look as it makes any real difference to the final paint job or even make it any quicker.  I guess maybe as it's an all over application it takes less time.

First try. Not sure. Seems very blotchy, like a tie dye marine.

4HMBGIt.jpg?1

I think you had the same issue I did, you need to use a hell of a lot of contrast paint and try not to move it around too much. Try and paint it on in one direction, start at the top and work down I've seen that done and it does work. Edited by sbarnby71

Now I'm confused. That one came out pure matt. My second attempt, which is exactly the same (I just tred to avoid blotches), I've ended up with a finish so glossy you'd think I'd varnished the mini.

How well did you mix it? Sounds like maybe you got excess medium.

This new contrast paint really confuses me. I thought it was combining multiple steps in 1 to save time and make it easier to get tournament qualified etc.

I know I do generic painting but my current process is

I-Base color spray prime (mechanicus grey)

II-Wash (usually nuln oil)

III-Detail work

This is a WIP where I am just starting on detail work

med_gallery_49686_15551_262520.jpg

Sounds like using the contrast paint as a wash wouldn't really save me time. What am I missing? Does it give edge highlighting benefit?

I believe you're missing the Layer phase in your process:

This is the most extended process I've been able to recollect watching diferents tutorials and painting lessons of a few diferent artists

Standart Vs your Vs Contrast

Prime/base --> Mechanicus grey --> Same

Layer --> missing --> Contrast Paints

Wash --> Nuln Oil --> already done with contrast paitns

Highlights --> It could be added to the detail work --> very few if you're not happy with the finish of the Contrast paints

Details --> Same --> Same

In theory Contrast merges Layer and wash but for your method ... it doesn't fit

Now I'm confused. That one came out pure matt. My second attempt, which is exactly the same (I just tred to avoid blotches), I've ended up with a finish so glossy you'd think I'd varnished the mini.

I've had a few goes now and they all end up being matt, but I have had to shake the pots like a mad man for ages, much longer than any other pot paint.

I've had a few goes now and they all end up being matt, but I have had to shake the pots like a mad man for ages, much longer than any other pot paint.

I feel like this is a common issue right now, due to the weather currently.

It is too warm!

The Medium vanishes too fast for the effect to fully work.

If you add extra Medium (= give it a buffer for more time til it dries), it does not produce as much blotchiness and no oily, glossy or overly matte effects.

Additionally I feel like this is a special problem for the Basilicanum Grey and to a degree Black Templar aswell.

So far I didn't have problems like this with Blood Angels Red and some of the browns. (Which I have used on details, not a full armor. So there is a difference aswell)