10 Hellblasters On the hunt, a company ancient, + a WLfor1s

20 shots with 15", over charge, re roll the ones, any that die might fire again anyway, then when eliminated next round, 50% of them will fire again, giving another 5-10 shots on a squad wipe. WL + company ancient are there for a heroic intervention if they are charged.

expensive but quite the shock troop potentially

Thoughts/experience with something like this?

Crazy $$$ for some thing that can and will get blocked out by most armies. Its a fun and cool idea, I've done similar with Long Fangs on the hunt. I used heavy bolters which has range to mitigate the reserve blocking and they're annoying and useful yet not so dangerous opponents plan around them.

The issue I see from a competitive stand point is that its such a huge chunk of points to use all that PLUS 3 CP to outflank them, yet most opponents are going to screen you out of useful target range pretty easily.

My suggestion is to scale it down to 5, which you can slip into spots in the screen they missed. This way its a thorn in their side that will be very useful to you but you're not relying on it to be your one knockout punch.

For fun games though go for it, it would be awesome to surprise melt stuff! Personally I plan that my opponents are too savvy for that though.

How about Plasma Inceptors instead? They can deploy from Reserves without spending CPs and can arrive anywhere on the board, not just within 6" of a table edge. They are T5 and are faster meaning you can redeploy them more easily after you have smoked your first target.

Points-wise, 10 Hellblasters are 350 points which gets you 20 plasma shots at 15". 354 points will get you 6 Plasma Inceptors who get on average 24 shots at 18" range. Overheats hurt slightly worse on Inceptors than Hellblasters.

Going with Inceptors also means you could take 2 3-man packs instead since you don't need to spend CPs to put each pack in Reserve. They pack the same punch on arrival but are effectively immune to Morale and can head in different directions if necessary if you need to hunt down different targets.