Unit of the Week: Terminator Assault Squad

Jolemai

Beg to difffer; contrast with the wording for the Iibrarian dreadnoughts force halberd for example, which specifically states only one attack can be made with that weapon.

The wording of the claws means you can choose that weapon to make all the attacks with, then make an extra attack

edit. same for the astartes chainsword

My Codex says "...make 1 extra attack with this weapon" for both Lightning Claw and Astartes Chainsword.

Are you looking at a Battlescribe version of the rules, maybe?

I'm looking at the codex rules.

So you choose which weapon to make the attacks with as normal. Choose the claw. Then you get to make the additional attack with the claw. Or two additional attacks if you have two claws. <- not fully accurate. You can make two additional attacks total, one with each claw you are equipped with. Each claw you have allows you to make one additional attack with that weapon.

Contrast with the furioso force halberd which has the exact same wording followed by "..and no more than 1 attack can be made with this weapon"

Clear distinction between the two rules

I'm not fully sure we aren't arguing the same thing.

As a 'pair' of two claws are two separate weapons now, you make one additional attack with one claw, and one additional with the other. Same as if you had claw and chainsword. You choose what weapon to use for the models base attacks, then you get to make an extra one with the claw, then an extra one with the chainsword.

If you master craft one of those claws, you can make your base attacks with the D2 claw, then you get a bonus attack with the D2 claw, and then a bonus attack from the other D1 claw. You cannot make the bonus attack conferred by the D1 claw with the D2 claw (which is what I think you're arguing?). If that were the case, then my powerfist/chainsword armed vanguard would be able to make the bonus attack granted by the chainsword with the fist (though this is expressly forbidden by the wording).

The Halberd is a different thing altogether and has it's own special rules. You're forbidden from choosing it to make your normal attacks with, and being armed with a halberd simply gives you a bonus attack with that profile. 

Edited by Xenith

Beg to difffer; contrast with the wording for the Iibrarian dreadnoughts force halberd for example, which specifically states only one attack can be made with that weapon.

The wording of the claws means you can choose that weapon to make all the attacks with, then make an extra attack

edit. same for the astartes chainsword

My Codex says "...make 1 extra attack with this weapon" for both Lightning Claw and Astartes Chainsword.

Are you looking at a Battlescribe version of the rules, maybe?

I'm looking at the codex rules.

So you choose which weapon to make the attacks with as normal. Choose the claw. Then you get to make the additional attack with the claw. Or two additional attacks if you have two claws. <- not fully accurate. You can make two additional attacks total, one with each claw you are equipped with. Each claw you have allows you to make one additional attack with that weapon.

Contrast with the furioso force halberd which has the exact same wording followed by "..and no more than 1 attack can be made with this weapon"

Clear distinction between the two rules

I'm not fully sure we aren't arguing the same thing.

As a 'pair' of two claws are two separate weapons now, you make one additional attack with one claw, and one additional with the other. Same as if you had claw and chainsword. You choose what weapon to use for the models base attacks, then you get to make an extra one with the claw, then an extra one with the chainsword.

If you master craft one of those claws, you can make your base attacks with the D2 claw, then you get a bonus attack with the D2 claw, and then a bonus attack from the other D1 claw. You cannot make the bonus attack conferred by the D1 claw with the D2 claw (which is what I think you're arguing?). If that were the case, then my powerfist/chainsword armed vanguard would be able to make the bonus attack granted by the chainsword with the fist (though this is expressly forbidden by the wording).

The Halberd is a different thing altogether and has it's own special rules. You're forbidden from choosing it to make your normal attacks with, and being armed with a halberd simply gives you a bonus attack with that profile.

I think we actually are

That MC on only one claw threw me quite well there

Having seen the new DG dex I can see TH terminators being one of the few 3 damage options that will give us some chance against them. There's a fair few competitive DG players in my local, so if I don't run a smash captain with MC Hammer I'll be giving the termie sergeant MC upgrade on his

• 1 year later...

This little discussion is starting in the Space Marine forum:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373897-storm-shield-loadout-on-terminators-vanguard-and-captains/?do=findComment&comment=5817429

However, I'm far more interested in what it means for our Terminators - especially when you consider they are a Firstborn alternative to Bladeguard when it comes to using the centre of the board for secondaries such as Oath of Moment.

As per the disclaimer, no comparisons between Assault TDA and BGV please, that's not the point of this thread

TLC terminators got a massive boost in survivability with AoC. Now they are just as tough as their hammernator counterparts until AP -4 and more. To me that means that you can reasonably mix and match to fit a budget and/or target instead of really needing at least a few bodies with shields.

TL;DR: TLC terminators are awesome, especially for the points, and I'm going to be painting mine soon! Right now I'm working on my Relic Termies!

Edited by Paladin777

I admit, when it came to terminators I stayed either shoot/punchy, or hammer + shield. I have had a 5 man squad sitting around primed in wraithbone spray for quite some time waiting for Blood Angel contrast to be applied.

At 4 attacks on the charge, 5 with the sergeant, and ours getting +1 to wound on that turn ... that hobby task just got moved up my priority ladder!

Throw in AoC and ... wow.

*with twin lightning claws I forgot to add.

I admit, when it came to terminators I stayed either shoot/punchy, or hammer + shield. I have had a 5 man squad sitting around primed in wraithbone spray for quite some time waiting for Blood Angel contrast to be applied.

At 4 attacks on the charge, 5 with the sergeant, and ours getting +1 to wound on that turn ... that hobby task just got moved up my priority ladder!

Throw in AoC and ... wow.

*with twin lightning claws I forgot to add.

TLC terminators are 4 attacks normally (2 base and one extra from each claw) and five on the charge with the sergeant being 5 normally with 6 on the charge... just saying. Edited by Paladin777