Movement Trays and Orks

Jolemai

Was playing Guard the other day and experienced movement trays for the first time. Groups of five, extremely neat ranks, etc. Have to say I was very impressed with it. They were the ones from Element Games.

Here's the 32mm ones as an example:

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/element-essentials/element-movement-trays/horde-pack-6x32mm-cloud

I was wondering what folks experiences are of using these with their Ork hoard. Tips, pitfalls, etc? Does it speed things up for you? How do you handle shenanigans/pile one, etc?

I've got some MDF ones that were spaced for 2" squad coherency that are a bit obsolete now. I didn't game with them so I can't say how effective they would be but I'd need a ton more to make use of them with my Orks.

Ranger Squad advancing

They were originally for my Orks but my Skitarii are based in the same manner so they borrowed them for a few old photos.

Also, sticking a tall sign on one of them was a really dumb idea from a storage point of view.

Personally I've though about them, more like 1x5 "strips". For orks I suppose it's unlikely you'd fit in cover anyway with big squads so that doesn't matter too much, but it'd get tricky for close combat. Having to "unmount them" for CC would be a drag.

One of my friends uses them for his AoS games but I haven't used them . ( I doubt I will. ) 

For the most part I would thing that if a mob was a full 30 strong then if it were me I would use 3 or 4 trays and leave the rest free standing on the table. 

That's pretty much what I envisage.

I have MDF movement trays from Every Little War (I don't think they are available anymore). Let me dig a picture up:

DwuiiCUUwAA0ymr.jpg

They were a good price, as I got 120-models worth of trays for like $40. However, in use, I've discovered that I would often deploy on them just to immediately have to abandon them, as terrain and movement necessitated a less rigid spacing. I have used them for grots, but even then, I sometimes have to abandon the trays to get the proper screening.

I do think if I had ones where the spacing was minimal (like the ones in the OP), I'd probably get more use out of them.

Edited by toaae

Having seen them in use, I'm trying to recommend them to the local Ork player. He's attending a doubles tournament where each game lasts two hours, 45 minutes (with penalties if you don't get to at least Battle Round four). As part of his 875 points, he's taking 3 x 30 Boyz and as a notoriously slow player, I'm hoping this should speed him up somewhat (at least one unit with move via Da Jump and/or get recycled back onto the board during the game).

I do find them extremely useful for Da Jump, if for no other reason than it makes picking a unit up quicker.

I have been considering doing a mix of basing for 40k horde armies (primarily Guard, but Orks and Tyranids would fit the bill as well) following the 1,2,3 basing example of Daniel Mersey and Michael Leck developed for the Pikeman's Lament and (more recently) Rebels and Patriots -- I'm in the process of adopting it for my ACW stuff and I'm quite fond of how it looks. The difficulty, of course, is that it's ultimately only suited for very casual play, tourneys are absolutely a no-go, and consensus has to be reached to make it function for close combat, but by Jove it looks good. Don't go to tourneys and I'm always up for talking through something in the set-up for a game, so all in all that suits me fine.

Admittedly it's not a solution that will work for everyone, but for me, that's the path I'd head down instead of movement trays. Could potentially do something similar using the sabot bases that Footsore's Mortal Gods game uses (or a equivalent basing system) but I must confess to never have terribly been fond of the gap between base and frame that traditional movement tray set-ups utilize.

A guy in my gaming club uses the movement trays from Kromlech for his two units of 30 boyz, speeds things up a lot and they work fine in our games, although may vary for others as our games are super casual, so if the trays mess up the measuring slightly and we have to do a little estimating when it comes to close combat nobody minds. 

• 2 weeks later...

1/2" coherency in Apocalypse, so those are some tight formations. And is that 18 trays in the 25mm? I'd really liking it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw these in My FLGS... a huge waste of money...they are so expensive :censored:  

if i made a plastic template myself and cut em out on a saw and drilled the holes it'd be at least 90% cheaper :ermm:

naughty GW :dry.:

Mithril