Best Codex for an all-Primaris army?

I would just choose whichever chapter you like the most. Marines in general are underwhelming right now, so adding further limitations is going to make for a rough start from a competitive standpoint. As someone with a Primaris only army I think it's worth it because the models are cool and they will get better over time. So just make whatever army you like the themes of. If you can't find one just make your own chapter and run what you like.

That's a good point actually. If you're looking to paint something for the sake of it being the best then you might find little joy in the long run.

The meta shifts regularly. The main reason for doing anything should be that you like it.

...Unless specifically you are a meta chaser who swaps and paints entire armies every 6 weeks.

So true, a fun option is to choose a Chapter without a clear founder or create one yourself, that way they can stand in for any of them as you see fit.

But that also means you get the perfect story of what makes them tick because it's the one you create.

Ironhands . Because you know the flesh is weak and 6+ fnp is actually pretty good when all you models have minimum 2 wounds and with the strat you can make you dread give out re-rolls.

My list has 154 wounds all with 6np, it's not competitive in a tournament meta but it is the bane of horde armies among my friends and local club

Edited by RandomMarine

Hi guys, cheers for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've decided to go Salamanders as my first Codex: Space Marines army.

(I've done DA and BA in the past)

I love the colour scheme, the backstory and the Chapter trait of The Salamanders, and they also seem to be quite an uncommon army on this and other forums I use.

Why Blood Angels ?

Not the original poster, but I could see the draw. Gives you a lot more use out of the base 2 attacks per model, and the relic BA banner is absolutely amazing at improving Primaris durability.

Yes

I've had pretty good success with Iron Hands, with the 6+FNP coming up more than I would expect really helps. Merciless Logic is another thing that actually comes up quite often when on a captain. Being able to ignore the minus to hit after moving also really adds to Redemptor Dreads and other vehicles.

Why Blood Angels ?

Not the original poster, but I could see the draw. Gives you a lot more use out of the base 2 attacks per model, and the relic BA banner is absolutely amazing at improving Primaris durability.

Yes
Yeah this sums it up fairly well.

Also add upon wings if fire being excellent for inceptors and the + damage warlord traits being a good way to make primaris captains quite dangerous, particularly the gravis variety. A few other strats work quite well still too.

Rievers with close combat weapons become "Okay" with BA too as the +1 to wound really helps make the most of their basic attacks.

Why Blood Angels ?

Yes
Yeah this sums it up fairly well.

Also add upon wings if fire being excellent for inceptors and the + damage warlord traits being a good way to make primaris captains quite dangerous, particularly the gravis variety. A few other strats work quite well still too.

Rievers with close combat weapons become "Okay" with BA too as the +1 to wound really helps make the most of their basic attacks.

Also the 5++ psychic power for the Repulsor.

Hi guys, cheers for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've decided to go Salamanders as my first Codex: Space Marines army.

(I've done DA and BA in the past)

I love the colour scheme, the backstory and the Chapter trait of The Salamanders, and they also seem to be quite an uncommon army on this and other forums I use.

Good choice.

The free reroll to hit and to wound for each unit in every phase is a really solid Chapter tactic and helps everything equally.

The only downside is Primaris don't have a lot of options for flamer weapons, so the Chapter specific Strategem won't see much use. You could do a unit of flamer Aggressors, but you'll have a hard time getting them in range.