Road to East China Open - Sept 2019

Morticon

CaptainHelion,

Its going to be weaker, for sure, but I think the dreads and scout bikers will make a simple shift into the BA slots.

I will almost definitely use DC for the forlorn fury. I'm keen to see how these guys play out in my list. I haven't used them in a long time. I'm also contemplating refitting the VanVets to be a little more punchy.

Will get back with some playtest options soon!

Mort, based on your and Shaezus’ reports, I came up with a couple of lists. Interested to see if it is close to what you are thinking about, but here is my suggestion/what I am currently fielding:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [39 PL, 730pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Fast Attack +

Scout Bike Squad [4 PL, 71pts]

. Scout Biker: Twin boltgun

. Scout Biker Sergeant: Storm bolter, Twin boltgun

Scout Bike Squad [4 PL, 71pts]

. Scout Biker Sergeant: Storm bolter, Twin boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Rapier Carrier [4 PL, 85pts]: 2x Space Marine Gunner

. Rapier Carrier: Quad launcher

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [26 PL, 403pts] ++

+ HQ +

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 142pts]: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinus, Furioso fist, Storm bolter

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 65pts]

. Scout: Heavy bolter

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [69 PL, 866pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lemartes [7 PL, 100pts]

+ Elites +

Death Company [18 PL, 218pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power fist

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power fist

. Death Company Marine

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank [14 PL, 185pts]: Heavy bolter

. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank [14 PL, 185pts]: Heavy bolter

. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

Vanguard Veteran Squad [16 PL, 178pts]: Jump Pack

. Space Marine Veteran: Power axe, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Power axe, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: 2x Chainsword

. Space Marine Veteran: 2x Chainsword

. Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Storm shield

. Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

++ Total: [134 PL, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The idea being that you can forlorn and wings the two cpts and use the Libby for a first turn “suicide” charge, supported by the sicarans and scout bikes. I plan on using the priest supported vets to jump up the field with their storm shields and drop the DC with Lemmy turn 2. I feel like it is a pretty flexible list - only short on AT. You could easily replace the sicarans with the dreads though, and do a spearhead detachment instead of vanguard.

Edited by keeblerartillery

Keeble - so many similarities!! 

One of my variants has a double sicaran.  I was iffy about them (as Lynean is), but after thinking about A: how many things have Fly (meaning you get to move and shoot with no penalty- AND ignore Alaitoc and other Flyer hard to hit rubbish, and B: do multi-damage to 2W model units, or multidamage to FNP units, this has been given some serious, serious consideration in my lists.  

One of the variants I looked at was: 

Captain  *

Captain *

Libby Dread *

Mephy 

3x5 Scouts *

2x5 Sniper Scouts

1x7 Intercessors * 

5x Scout Bikers *

5x Bikers - 2plasma

10x DC - 2Hammers *
10x Vanvets - 7Shields, 2 Hammers *

2x Contemptor Mortis. 

(I put a star on the same units - which accounts for more than 2/3rds of the same force) 

The sicaran version is even more similar, but I lose the bikers and Mephy and trade in a Lieutenant for the 2 Sicarans.  

I feel like Mephy doesn’t add much with a Libby dread already in the list - he wants quickening and wings as much as the dread. I like overlapping unit strengths so there aren’t single points of failure - but cancelling out each other isn’t exactly overlapping. So I think your contemptor list is better served by the Lt. Or the sicaran lists just gives you more flexibility in general - and you can always add lascannon sponsons!

The meta is stirring after faqs. More mech units are emerging in lists. Things like 3*disco lord/3*contemptor/3*deredeo/3*pbc or combinations of above, began to become popular.

If you are also interst in introducing more mech, you would want the best ones. IMO contemptor mortis is among "best tanks", Sicaran...may not.

I feel like Mephy doesn’t add much with a Libby dread already in the list - he wants quickening and wings as much as the dread. I like overlapping unit strengths so there aren’t single points of failure - but cancelling out each other isn’t exactly overlapping. 

Completely valid critiques!  Hear me out on the logic, though.   Mephy gets 3 powers- So, the third power in most games is likely to be Unleash Rage for the DC.   After that, I'm very likely to double up on Wings and Quickening simply because the attacks are likely to happen in waves.  With the libby dread taking point, and then usually getting smashed in turn 1 or 2, mephy will play the support role until he's needed in the fray. 

Moving him up with his 7" + d6 (because he doesn't need to shoot) means that he will be ready from turn 2 with his move + wings, supporting whatever else has come before.  His small profile means moving through doors and ruin walls is easier, and can help get over lines of screens.  I think instead of playing him as I play the Wings Captain and the Libby dread- as the smashy duo vanguard, Meph will act as a scalpel for the hardy units left over from this wave of attack. 

Keeble - so many similarities!!

One of my variants has a double sicaran. I was iffy about them (as Lynean is), but after thinking about A: how many things have Fly (meaning you get to move and shoot with no penalty- AND ignore Alaitoc and other Flyer hard to hit rubbish, and B: do multi-damage to 2W model units, or multidamage to FNP units, this has been given some serious, serious consideration in my lists.

Fair point!

I’m going to stream of consciousness my thoughts on this - cus I am torn now haha. So for me, I feel like there is an opportunity cost here - you are paying for those powers to not be used a turn or two. On the other hand, those powers could be great a few turns in. Would those points be better spent on a chaplain or priest and then some more smashiness for squads? Or does that late game beat stick make up for the opportunity cost?

...I gave you more questions than answers/analysis, but hopefully something to think about while play testing. I know I’m going to consider putting meph in a list now and see how this plays out though, haha

The difference in points is minimal but funnily enough that’s probably the number one reason why people have switched over now. That’s the only difference as none of their actual rules changed except the Fly keyword which applies exactly the same.

Another big advantage for the Lord of a Death is his 2+ armor save and 5+++... he is actually fairly resilient in the current meta while the dread is one and done.

Edited by Black Blow Fly

I would swap one of the Scouts for another Intercessor Squad and maybe reduce here an there a few points to squeeze in a Devastator Squad. And you could consider Lemartes. He is kind of an assassine with forlorn fury