Road to East China Open - Sept 2019

Morticon

What loadout do you take on the Invictor? I'm pretty torn between them. Also, what guns are you running the Attack Bikes with?

Cheap and cheerful on the bikes!!  T5 for 9.25 points a wound!!! GREAT bang-per-buck.  

As a BA I wouldn't consider any other variant than the 131 - Flamercannon vibes!! Dont bother with the shooty variant! 

(Id be playing shooty variant if I were using IH rules!)

Tournament Highlights: 

Game 2 was up against an Imperial Knight list with Admech CP farm. 

Two Battle-cannon/Gatling Canon Knights and two Gallants supported by 3x7 Skiitari and 2 Enginseers. 

Since he was likely to go first, I placed the Contemptors as far out of range of the gatling cannons as I could.  I also baited him a little with the Invictor. 

The first tactic paid off, as the 1st turn cover strat coupled with lack of range to the Dreads meant that there was very little damage done to them. Also, because he didn't take the obvious bait of the Invictor, i was left to move it up the left flank to where his squishies were. 

A lucky set of saves on the Intercessors also saw them survive the volley of fire from the gatling gun.  

In my turn, I went full on assault.  I popped MoD and then moved out the DC to engage with the one Gallant, while the Cap used WoF to get one of the shooty units. It wasnt the warlord one that I wanted to target, but, it was better positioned than the other, so I needed to attack that one for tactical reasons. 

This worked out in my favour because the las dreads did massive damage to the other shooty knight (i think around 15 or so wounds). 

Considering the fact the opponent would likely intercept combat, I fought with the DC first, who were now buffed with Astorath (sadly, my Phobos got squished in a charge thanks to the rule that allows the knights to fight at diffrent levels.  However, with 20 PF attacks hitting on 3s, rerolling all misses and wounding on 3s, with a 6+ save from the Knight- it went down. 

As expected, he intercepted and tried to stomp my smashy, who survived the attack - this meant he could fight twice (hitting on 2s rerolling 1s) and knock the Knight into oblivion- 2.5 knights down turn 1 !!! 

The next few turns saw clean up, as his last shooty knight went down to Lascannons and his 2+save Gallant had to try wade through my lines.  My Invictor flanked fully and then cleaned up the back line. 

Cinematic moment of the game for me, though, was when Astorath had positioned himself on a big building in the center, and then, when the Admech had fallen back to defensive positions on an adjacent building he hopped about 10" ...across buildings... onto a jutting out platform to subsequently charge and destroy the Rangers. 

By turn 5 i think he was tabled. 

Game 3 was just as exciting (for me). 

My opponent was running a filthy (excuse the pun) Deathguard list with 2 Deredos, 2 Contemptors, 3 crawlers a demon prince a sorcerer and 10 blightlord terminators! 

His lack of knowledge about BA led to his demise.  
As it turns out, BA are not really a thing in Shanghai at the moment, so his experience vs. the army was really limited.  This meant that he put the 10 terminators into reserve - which was PERFECT for me. 

We were playing on a favourable table (Frontal assault) and it was CA18 deployment - which I had won.  

Turn 1 saw my captain Forlorn up, and the Vanguard WoF on the right flank where there were two deredos holding hands.  My bikers moved up, inches away from the crawlers and my DC was in support, along with my Invictor. 

By the start of the fight phase in turn 1, he had 2 Deredos, 2 crawlers and his prince in combat.  With my positioning, this meant that he was likely to have another Contemptor in by the end as well. 

Smashy surprised him with his Artisan trait and took out the Prince once time.  He fought again to kill the crawler and then consolidated into a contemptor. 

The game was so heavily on the back foot now, with only 2 units being able to shoot. 

In my next turn, i just kept wading through - I think I killed 1 more plague crawler, heavily damaged another.  

His termies came down, and while they were HELL to get rid of, he didnt really have anything to deal with me. 

The game was over in about an hour and a half.  The BA first wave assault was amazing. 

Game 4 is the loss I'm most upset with as I played like a donkey - on top of this, one turning point changed the game outcome for me. 

I was on a table with great LOS blocking terrain, and I overextended.  i wasn't used to playing the Gman/dread castle and I went in piecemeal, too quickly.  

I should have played the long game.  With the UM abilities and strats, there is SO much defensive versatility, and I was just thrown.  Thanks to a little help from the  the dread strat, I was unable to kill a 10wound quad las contemptor - which I think completely changed the game. 

Had I taken off 2 more wounds (damage roll was 1 and 2 for my second volley) i would have killed his real long range threat.  This would mean that both my dreads would have outranged his, and i could have whittled him down a little bit.  Instead, he healed it up to 5 wounds, and then returned fire and killed my one contemptor one time.  

This forced my hand in turn two, but again, i really should have waited.  

It's once of those games I wish I could have played again.  

He played it damn well though, buffing Gman every turn with Tiggy, so that if i had to make a charge, id be facing some scary, scary stuff. 

I wont make the same mistakes there again. 

Edited by Morticon

Gotta say, the image of a load of DC with fists just flying all over a knight and tearing it apart is INCREDIBLE.

Are you finding that Shock Assault has just pushed us over the edge in terms of teeth? It certainly feels choppy!

I'd use the term "dragged us up to the surface to breath" rather than "pushed us over the edge".  It's definitely given us more punch and more viability for what we do best.