Road to East China Open - Sept 2019

Morticon

I'm finding that or 110 points a Twin-HB/Twin-Auto (6xS5,4xS7) dread is very, very good for fire support. 

I feel like at that point I'd rather take Suppressors to be honest. For 105p you get 6 S7 AP-2 shots at 48" range. A Dread with HBs pretty much alway in range of every anti tank your opponent has and often has to move so it hits only on 4s and with Autocannons it has less damage output but is more durable for whatever might be in range to actually shoot at it. Though Suppressors are infantry so gain easily cover in ruins for a 2+ save which is not to be underestimated either.

Of course at that point it also depends on the rest of your list. If you have enough other armour you might want to go with the Dread to provide more target saturation and if you don't have much other armour you probably don't want to give your opponents anti-tank an easy target by taking just a Dread.

Edited by sfPanzer

Here is what I am playtesting next mort, based on your meph ideas and how much I liked the sicarans (and to some extent, suppressors) and disliked the VanVets -

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [36 PL, 679pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Fast Attack +

Scout Bike Squad [4 PL, 71pts]

. Scout Biker: Twin boltgun

. Scout Biker: Twin boltgun

. Scout Biker Sergeant: Storm bolter, Twin boltgun

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Grav-chute

. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Grav-chute

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [29 PL, 467pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Mephiston [8 PL, 160pts]: 1. Quickening, 2. Unleash Rage, 6. Wings of Sanguinus

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 142pts]: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinus, Furioso fist, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. Scout: Combat knife

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [73 PL, 854pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lemartes [7 PL, 100pts]

+ Elites +

Death Company [18 PL, 200pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Chainsword

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank [14 PL, 185pts]: Heavy bolter

. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank [14 PL, 165pts]: Heavy bolter

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 204pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

Edited by keeblerartillery

I would consider a few fists on the DC. Points are tight in your build and the only place I can see you getting them is if you swap out the third detachment and lose a captain instead of lemmy.

This will free up some points for 2 more SG too and maybe more HBSS on the other sicaran.

Edited by Morticon

I added 3 fists to the dc, 2 sang guard (3 of 8 now have fists), a HB to one of my scout squads and sponsons for my sicaran. Great suggestions mort! Looking forward to what you come up with. This means I’ll likely be starting my sang guard on the table. It’s going to be all about positioning now to see if I can get rage on them from mephy if I wings them first turn with slam and Libby dread. But I definitely feel more comfortable with my shooting elements now Edited by keeblerartillery

Mort - something else I was considering were redemptors - solid midfield fire support for a fairly reasonable price. I was considering dropping the second assault element completely, doubling down on either death company or sang guard as my primary assault force, and really focusing on a durable, mobile fire support element of sicarans and a redemptor or two. Thoughts?

Mort - something else I was considering were redemptors - solid midfield fire support for a fairly reasonable price. I was considering dropping the second assault element completely, doubling down on either death company or sang guard as my primary assault force, and really focusing on a durable, mobile fire support element of sicarans and a redemptor or two. Thoughts?

Play the One-Two punch for three games first, before you even consider it.   Then, after that, give it some thought.   

Hey Mort,

I know you're really liking the scout bikers.

Have you looked at combining them alongside some melta/plasma bikers? 140ish points for 10 wounds and 2 melta guns isn't terrible. I've found myself starting to write lists with two, five man squads in an outsider detachment alongside a squad of 3 land speeders with double flamer.

DBH- interesting you've mentioned it, because yes, I have. A lot of lists I've been designing have actually has three plasma guns in the 5 man biker squad. Really want to check it out

DBH- interesting you've mentioned it, because yes, I have. A lot of lists I've been designing have actually has three plasma guns in the 5 man biker squad. Really want to check it out

That's cool. Just brainstorming, but they gel perfectly with the biker priest. To replenish wounds, as well as speed and movement. They are basically better ASM.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Man.....i keep making lists daily - and i can only say that it's tough making a choice between glory and honour :( 

(Soup vs Pure)

Current PURE BA is this:

Mephiston

Chaplain on Bike (but possibly Astorath)

Smash Cap

Libby Dread. 

3x5 Scouts - SBs

1x5 Snipers

1x5 Snipers- cloaks

1x5 Intercessors

10x DC - Hammer, 2fists, 6flamers

10x VV - Hammer, 2fists, 2 Axes, 8shields

5x Scout Bikers - cmbi-plas  

5x Bikers - cmbi-plas, 2Plasguns

Quad Mortis - las

Quad Mortis - las

It's strong.  It's solid.  But, it's not devastating.  It really is a reactive scalpel list - something that tries to isolate and cut off parts of the enemy piece-meal.   I'd love to play it, but when I compare it to my revamped version of my last list....

Smash Cap

Libby Dread

3x 5 Scouts

9x DC - Hammer, fist, 2 Axes, 5 flamers.

5x Scout Bikers

DW Libby - jp, SB, axe

DW Captain - jp, hammer, SB

10x Intercessors

10x Veterans (5 bikes, 5shields, 5SB)

10x Veterans (2Terms, 1Bike, 1Vanguard, 1 Frag, 7 SB, 6 Shields)

Quad Mortis - Las

Quad Mortis - Las

This for example  - is almost the same as my tourney list.  The big difference is the loss of the libby, assassin and Tfire.  But, I gain the DC squad, which will make my first turns even more devastating.  It plays identically and only really loses the distraction carnifex of the phobos libby and the obviously really nice protection from -1 to hit on the dreads and scout bikers.   But, with the changes I beefed up the Vets like i wanted to do, and then can use the Quad Mortis with DW abilities- (Imagine rerolling hits and wounds of 2+ vs a Knight!!) 

It's going to be a tough call.   Will see how it goes in playtesting. 

What about tarantulas? might be enough to fix up a brigade!

Actually tried to make a brigade at one stage- but wasn't as strong! Cant get the points for one more Elite, Heavy and Fast, sadly. 

Fair.

Apparently someone has had some success running a brigade, coming in 4th at a GT:

Smash

Lemartes

Sanguinor

6x scouts

15 deathcompany (5 power swords)

Sanguinary ancient with power fist

10 Sanguinary guard (2 power fists)

3x 3 scout bikers (sergeant storm bolter)

3x 5 devastators (1 heavy bolter, cherub)

Although this really gives food for thought, im not sure how this list deals with big knighty targets besides throwing the SG against it

Edited by Lynnean