1x5 Intercessors

5x Bikers- 3 plasma

9x VanVet - 7 Shields, 2 axes, 1sword, 1 fist

10x DC - 5fists, 5flamers

Redemptor - HOC, OC, 2SB.

Quad Contemptor- las

Quad Contemptor- las

I like that a lot!

After my sang guard efforts - I like this too. I feel like VanVets just give you more tactical options, even though I like sang guard more. Sadly, they just require more support to be effective

Yeah, I think they really need the Ancient for starters and then possibly warlord support and maybe a +1 attack.  It's just too much to dedicate to a particular unit.  

I want to see how this list plays out though.  The Redemptor is obviously just a huge distraction carnifex, but really like that he can put out some serious dakka midfield. So, i'll march him up and use as support - and hopefully take some heat off the other units. 

Completely agree with your assessment. Maybe this will turn into two units of DC in a few months...

Just a thought - ditch Meph and have Lemmy and Astro. First turn, one squad of DC and Slam get Astro’d, they forlorn and wings. Other squad of DC with Lemmy can either come in T2 or, depending on deployment, March up field with that reroll to charge. Might need to play with that myself

Edited by keeblerartillery

Speaking about distraction carnifexes, what about dorito dreads? Would you still prefer the contemptor/redemptor over them?

I don't quite know.  I think I'd like to have the las over the extra shots with lower AP. 

May be worth trying out.  

Completely agree with your assessment. Maybe this will turn into two units of DC in a few months...

Just a thought - ditch Meph and have Lemmy and Astro. First turn, one squad of DC and Slam get Astro’d, they forlorn and wings. Other squad of DC with Lemmy can either come in T2 or, depending on deployment, March up field with that reroll to charge. Might need to play with that myself

I've never actually used Astorath, so just to clarify: how exactly do you position for that combo to go off? With forlorn happening before the first turn, wouldn't that first squad be out of range for Mass (which I understand is the beginning of move phase) if you use the full movement + advance with forlorn? I assume you just conga line all the way back so one guy stays in range?

I've never actually used Astorath, so just to clarify: how exactly do you position for that combo to go off? With forlorn happening before the first turn, wouldn't that first squad be out of range for Mass (which I understand is the beginning of move phase) if you use the full movement + advance with forlorn? I assume you just conga line all the way back so one guy stays in range?

Zon, check out the "Bubble Tactica" thread - but yes - in short, just a stretched conga.   In my game vs Nids above, we were playing diagonally, and I rolled a 6" on the advance.  Because of the distance needing to be covered to  get to the enemy (who had deployed further back), I was unable to get it off.   

However, in the case of either a very big DC unit (12-15) and/or a a more favourable distance needing to be covered (Dawn of War, for example) - you can do this very comfortably with 2-3 models trailing back.   

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this....but, it's actually a really good idea. 

Will consider based on the result of the upcoming playtests

That is why you conga-line a few marines back to Astorath after FF.
From Bubble Tactica thread:

After much thought (but no playtesting) I'm going to be giving Astorath a concerted bash.  

I've re-read the specifics of his rule (which I have misunderstood the whole of 8th it seems) and figured out how to get the best use from it. 

Mass of Doom is triggered at the START of the MOVEMENT phase -something i had COMPLETELY overlooked and/or forgotten.

So....

With a DC and a VanVet (or even Smash Cap) right next to Astorath you can get the most from his Mass of Doom in the following way:

1:  Forlorn Fury DC - this works best on DC rather than the Smashy on account of having more bodies to play with. 

With the 32mm bases, and a 6" required distance from Astorath, you only need to conga three marines (four/Five with advance) from front to back to be within range of him. 

This means that you've covered 12-18" already, and are still in range of Astorath at the start of the movement.

2:  Van Vet/Smashy  Wings of Fire.  - Since this strat also cues at the start of the movement phase, we get to choose what happens.  

Soooo....

We trigger Mass of Doom - and BAMN! We have two fighty units hitting on 2s.  

Vanguard then redeploy, ready for Descent of Angels charge and DC then make their ACTUAL move.  

3:  With an advance move (and even without on a long board edge game) You can still manage to get Astorath well into bubble support range of the DC after their actual movement. 

4: Profit. 

Edited by Morticon

Needs to be noted that this only works on long board edge board games, or other deployment types where the opponent has an aggressive front line.   Hammer and Anvil style or even quarters can see the opponent deploy far further back, requiring full Forlorn movement - therefore preventing Astorath's help.   

@Keeble - I've made a variant of the above list with 2 DC and Lemmy instead of Mephy.  Will definitely give it a bash 

Needs to be noted that this only works on long board edge board games, or other deployment types where the opponent has an aggressive front line. Hammer and Anvil style or even quarters can see the opponent deploy far further back, requiring full Forlorn movement - therefore preventing Astorath's help.

@Keeble - I've made a variant of the above list with 2 DC and Lemmy instead of Mephy. Will definitely give it a bash

I have as well! I’ve got two that I want to try. One might have a knight...

• 4 weeks later...

Greets all.

So I play tested a version of my list yesterday with two interesting opponents.

One was a mixed eldari flyer list and the other a dual Astraeus Gully list :/

I played the following:

Smash Cap

Libby Dread

Phobos Libby, BA powers

Astorath

3*5 scouts

2*5 snipers

2*5 intercessors

10* DC- 5pf,5hf

9* VV- 2pf,2axes,7shields

Invictor- burney version

4* Bikes + Attack Bike- 2plas,1hb

Quad Las Contemptor

Quad Las Contemptor

Both games went well, though I think the flyer list would have creamed me if they had gone first.

I tabled the UM list in 2 turns. But, wow...some of the new strats....

BA wise, i really like the phobos with support powers, just not sure if he's better than mephy. However, at 60points cheaper, i can really out more into my list...I actually get another primaris squad which works really nicely.

The vanguard continue to underwhelm, but manage to do what they should it seems...

Fits perfectly in my theme. I had a redemptor in there before as a bit of a distraction carnifex and general support..But now, this plays that role AND can infiltrate. It means it synergizes very well with my the alpha play my list can make.

He survived both games because of the threat of other things being more pressing. So far he's turning out to be solid.

What do you guys think of this:

Smashy

Libby Dread

Phobos (Shield/Rage)

Astorath

2x5 Scouts

2x5 Sniper Scouts

2x5 Incursors - mine

10x DC - 5fists, 5flmrs

9x VanVets - 7Shields, 4Fist,1Axe

Invictor - Burney 

Quad Las Contemptor

Quad Las Contemptor

The Incursors at first glance seemed pants, but....im actually really, really liking them for both my style of play and my list. 

Interesting list. Never had much luck with the sniper scouts personally, they never wound! I guess with more shots though...Phobos Libby scouts, meets up with DC that Fury'd up to give them +1 attack and a 5++?

I've toyed around with 5 man tacticals, Stormbolter and PW on the Sergeant and a plasma gun as troops. Just two of them, but they're about the same points as sniper scouts and have proven to be more effective.

The mines on the incursors are pretty cool. How do you deploy them?

I'm considering to buy my first ever primaris unit in the Invictor. As ridiculous as it is, the coolness factor is something I can't miss out on.