Legion Lieutenants Discussion - Just an idea

*In our local league we've been batting the idea back and forth of rites of wars and certain compositions and sizes offering free tactical squads and the like in order to promote their use over rite of war compulsory squads and minimum sized rhino tac squads.  

Hey bro, have you seen the Mournival Events rules for different Rites of War? They have a Tactical Company RoW designed for Centurion:

Legion Tactical Company Effects

• All Models equipped with Bolt Guns can use Fury of the Legion

• Fury of the Legion can be used every turn and with any number of models (but the unit must be stationary during the turn it is used, and cannot fire Overwatch in the following player’s turn)

• Legion Heavy Support (or Iron Havoc) Squads can be equipped with Suspensors for +5 points per model

Limitations

• Legion Tactical Squads must be taken as Compulsory Troops

• At least one Legion Tactical Support Squad must be taken

• Pyroclast Squads can be taken as Legion Tactical Support Squads

• The detachment must include an Independent Character of the Infantry (not Jump Infantry) type

Of course they're just house rules but could have some potential.

If anyone else wants to see the Mournival rules you can find them here and they have a bunch more rules and erratas on their FB page :tu:

Kizzdougs, dude now thaaat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!  That's the kind of lists that I wanna see, and I'm absolutely shocked that I haven't heard of it before now (even just in passing given that we have seasonal 12+ player centurion events alongside the standard tournaments).  It's definitely the kind of rite of war that I'd be all over just in general as I like my tacs*.  

Seriously mate, that's a killer find.  Thanks a ton for bringing it up :) 

*I've also lost 6 of my last 7 league games.  Again, I've also lost the dice off and gone second or been seized against in all of them... man my dice utterly hate me, except when Insane Heroism needed to come up and totally did. 

*In our local league we've been batting the idea back and forth of rites of wars and certain compositions and sizes offering free tactical squads and the like in order to promote their use over rite of war compulsory squads and minimum sized rhino tac squads.

Hey bro, have you seen the Mournival Events rules for different Rites of War? They have a Tactical Company RoW designed for Centurion:

• Fury of the Legion can be used every turn and with any number of models (but the unit must be stationary during the turn it is used, and cannot fire Overwatch in the following player’s turn)

• Legion Heavy Support (or Iron Havoc) Squads can be equipped with Suspensors for +5 points per model

Limitations

• The detachment must include an Independent Character of the Infantry (not Jump Infantry) type

If anyone else wants to see the Mournival rules you can find them here and they have a bunch more rules and erratas on their FB page :tu:

I hope one of them goes for the lead writer position. I love their stuff.

Ill reiterate my like of gaining something at the cost of something else.

To me, that rite of war doesn't have any drawback over the vanilla list. You only have tacs, asm or breachers to fill troops anyways (barring some special character unlock), of tacs are by far the most flexible. So you're taking the thing you were probably taking anyways. Almost every character is infantry, so another non-fiction. The support squad is the biggest thing, but they're not exactly a bad unit either you know.

You look at pretty much all the rites that enhance troops or play with the battlefield roles, and there's moderate to severe drawbacks. I'd add something like "must have more units with unit type Infantry (not including Characters or Jump) than vehicles". Something that really pushes a playstyle/build, because right now you can still make a cheap core of compulsory troops and not revisit tacs at all. Seekers in particular are winners with fury every turn, and still score.

Limitations

If anyone else wants to see the Mournival rules you can find them here and they have a bunch more rules and erratas on their FB page :thumbsup:

I hope one of them goes for the lead writer position. I love their stuff.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom (of Mournival Events) at an event earlier in the year. He's a really nice bloke and has a great appreciation for the lore and the game. He'd do a great job. Unfortunately, I don't think he'd be willing to pack up his life and move from Sydney to Nottingham for an underpaid job that would inevitably see him come in for unwarranted criticism.

Hopefully Anuj isn't leaving and they're just looking to expand the team for the future :tu:

KISS Centurions are field officers, Praetors are Generals/Staff types (And thus lead every platoon level skirmish /eyeroll ) 

I field a lot of horde armies because thats what i like to build, but it really does not work unless your gaming group plays into that, the 7th ed rules just favour deathstars and super heavies too much otherwise. 

Personally id just be in favour of basically ditching FOCs much like 8th does, or at the very least removing the cap on troops choices. 

But then again my latest miltia army has like 12 troops choices and counting :D Though my other armies usually field at least 50 troops infantry :) 

Let’s try and keep on track chaps. Whilst theres some worthwhile thoughts here etc they are regarding topics that are off topic for this thread. ;)

BCC

Ok, back to the topic.

In the Horus Heresy lieutenants are represented by the legion centurion.

Case closed. ;)