+++Blood Angels Outpost+++

Time for me to wade in and defend my crown (let's make sure this doesn't become a thing for me).

I MrYellow rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete 1 Lucius Pattern Scout Titan of total value 2000 pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

And here it is in the garage with the basecoat going down:

gallery_60109_14893_569299.jpg

Cheers

LM

:huh.::eek::drool:

As mentioned, that's our first ever Titan entry - I don't think I could manage it and I do wish you all the best.

Will this be done to your Lamenters scheme or something else? As for your crown, you're in third place on points pledged so there will be a fight for is :wink:

And it's only the beginning..... :-) I've got a veritable multi storey car park of Land Raiders that need painting after this.

Paint scheme wise I won't be doing them in yellow, I will break with tradition and use a camo scheme.

The theme of my Legio "The Ironclads" is a naval one so will be using famous warship names and naval camo schemes.

Part of me really wants to do a WW1 dazzle camo scheme (I know I said no yellow but that doesn't mean they won't stand out!) but I might save that for my Warlord (as it's going to be a real pain to achieve properly) and just go with a 3 tone WW2 destroyer camo scheme.

Cheers

LM

And it's only the beginning..... :-) I've got a veritable multi storey car park of Land Raiders that need painting after this.

Multiple Land Raiders after the Titan? Looks like I may need to get my extra Land Raiders, Storm Eagle and Dreadnoughts built...

Haha, and here I was hoping I could at least get close :tongue.:

Alas, my 1st vow is NOT my last word! I will continue to pledge no matter the odds!

Sounds like there's a serious battle for Champion on now!

My airbrush is going for a long bath in the sonic cleaner, so I thought I'd have a break and do a WIP!

Squad Belaphon is freshly zenithal'd up ready for the red

TOp9rUU.jpg

squad Aziraphale, the red coat is done and glossed up ready for pinwashing so stuck the water transfers on, need a 2nd microsol coat I think.

7HfwRJb.jpg

Contrast was ordered this morning, so that should hopefully be here when I'm ready to start finishing off non-metallic details. Ran into some difficulty with Sgt Aziraphale's black shoulder pads since my masking fluid stripped the red off right through the varnish, which is why his arms are missing and in the paint stripper! Also why I've bought some masking putty for squad Belaphon, which hopefully should protect my pre-shading better for the post red stage - seems good stuff so far!

Great effort so far brothers!

Jolemai will probably kill me if I don't vow for the section so I'll take stock and see what we can do :wink: I mean, I don't even *really* have a smash captain!

I know you've got other things on at the minute and your stuff isn't really accessible, but anything you can add will be a bonus and much appreciated by all :)

Bloody greetings, fellow followers of Khorne! Yeah, you know who you are! :teehee:

My best wishes to all of you, on the three productive months. Happy painting everybody!

Gotta say Blood Angels, very strong start! Good to see you're serious about protecting the title. 

Let's bring it down to the wire like last year again, keep everyone guessing. Chaos vs Blood Angels!

Cheers for the well wishes both, all the best on your endeavors too :tu:

I'm busy covering my fingers in super glue, first vow to come at some point next week.

I'll be doing the same today, I'll also need to have fellow frater double check my points as I do not own any Chapter Approves and Battle Scribe is unreliable. Don't want all that hard work be disqualified :wink:

I'll be doing the same today, I'll also need to have fellow frater double check my points as I do not own any Chapter Approves and Battle Scribe is unreliable. Don't want all that hard work be disqualified :wink:

Bring it on!

No problem, we can count it for you :smile.:

Yeah I wouldn’t mind if someone double checked my point tally too, as it’s based on the 8e Codex (paper copy) so if any points values have changed I might be in trouble :ph34r.:

Wait, Battlescribe is questionable? Could, uh... could someone check my points for me? I don't think I've done anything illegal/wrong, but I'd still like a second opinion.

I know these examples have been done already, but please do ask if you're unsure about the points of your vow as we're here to help after all :)

... and yes, Battlescribe is current up to date for us

Wow, some huge first vows coming!

Arkhanist, I'm super excited to see what you will come up with the contrast paints! Do you have a plan how will you use them?

It's a new scheme for my BA primaris anyway, so the contrast release timing seemed pretty fortuitous!

Current plan is to do a zenithal prime stage with the airbrush, with a bit of extra black and white in the appropriate spots, then airbrush transparent red over the top and an enamel black pinwash, based upon the new mightybrush scheme, along with a minimal edge highlight. Airbrushing over zenithal primer is already becoming my favourite style for doing other stuff, so I think that should be straightforward.

The metallics, large gems and eyes will be done as per normal; I've got some warcolours gem paints coming, so I might use those for the titchy gems and lenses.

Then basically Contrast for everything else, given I'll have already zenithal'd everything anyway; I'll mask off the gun before the red, and tidy up with light colours for the rest.

Faces with guilliman flesh, gun, joints and chest eagle with Black Templar. Plasma with Aethermatic blue, skeleton horde for skulls and something for dark leather, probably wyldwood.

I may also try out ultramarine blue on the hellblaster helmets; doing them separately anyway, so might just airbrush em.

Then just knee transfers, a little edge highlighting to help the contrast out, and some light weathering with pigments and oils, and hopefully that'll be that! It'll either work really well and I'll have these guys done in 6 weeks or so, or it'll go terribly and I'll be burning the midnight all of August to try and get em finished. We'll see!

Thanks for that, it's really encouraging to see people outline their thoughts and detailing during the events :tu:

Agreed! And last year you proved that it ca be done with 44 BAs vs. 55 CSMs. But you had to overcome a significant disadvantage that led to the insanely high 87% completion rate. Now you have the opportunity to even the odds and have the room to win without counting on this amazingly high (and difficult to repeat) completion rate... :wink:

To be fair, Chaos were still suffering from old models last year which is definitely not the case this year. I won't be participating this year but I wish all my BA brothers much luck ... I feel like we are going to need it. :wink:

You will be missed you know. If the urge comes during this month you're more than welcome to join in :)

Hol' up, are converted Librarian Contemptors a common thing? I see two in this thread alone.

So I know at least 4 people have been working on converted Libby dreads in this forum - 2 contemptor variants and 2 achillus variants. Neonmole is the other purported achillus. Mine was a surprise for this event, but long planned. Rule of cool my man!

Great, aren't they? We've been pushing this idea for a while on here but seeing the Achillus used is really inspirational.

WIP-tastic!

I've spent the last couple of evenings painting bases, and applying the first basecoat and washed the red armour.

Last night I then began on the metal parts of my dreadnought.

Tm23P8C.jpg

Had a productive evening. Only a few details and edge highlighting the red lett.

hktfZ4Z.jpg

Such a clean finish you're getting on these! I like the choice of green on the force weapon too :smile.:

Progress on my Libby Dread!

gallery_70131_10318_845384.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_409941.jpg

Really interested to see how this one develops. The question is though, do I really need another Librarian Dreadnought? (I have two)

Dreadnought Progress Party!

62354225_862907674061438_911504633022015

Solid start there. Will you be weathering it, etc?

med_gallery_137555_15490_733678.jpg

Not the best picture, but the Lieutenant's done and I did a headswap on the Intercessor Sergeant, in keeping with my lore. It's one of the hoodless Skitarii Ranger heads from the Kill Team box set.

They are coming along nicely :smile.: Lieutenant is looking neat and tidy and the headswap works too. Don't worry about basing if you're not confident/ready as that's optional for the event (i.e it's only expected if it's something you normally do). Looking forward to the rest!

My airbrush is going for a long bath in the sonic cleaner, so I thought I'd have a break and do a WIP!

TOp9rUU.jpg

squad Aziraphale, the red coat is done and glossed up ready for pinwashing so stuck the water transfers on, need a 2nd microsol coat I think.

7HfwRJb.jpg

Contrast was ordered this morning, so that should hopefully be here when I'm ready to start finishing off non-metallic details. Ran into some difficulty with Sgt Aziraphale's black shoulder pads since my masking fluid stripped the red off right through the varnish, which is why his arms are missing and in the paint stripper! Also why I've bought some masking putty for squad Belaphon, which hopefully should protect my pre-shading better for the post red stage - seems good stuff so far!

Zenithal work is always impressive, does it take much longer than a normal undercoat? also what red have you used?

Hopefully Squad Aziraphale will be a Good Omen for us in this event...

Well, it seems that so far there is reversal vs. last year - at least on the average vow front! :smile.: Very good showing BAs - a VERY strong start indeed! :smile.:

Right... 8 BAs so far... vs. 17 of Space Marines and 27 of Chaos Space Marines. Just saying... :whistling:

At this stage by far the most important metric is participation levels. Big vows may come later but even that won't be enough if participation is low... :wink:

Agreed! And last year you proved that it ca be done with 44 BAs vs. 55 CSMs. But you had to overcome a significant disadvantage that led to the insanely high 87% completion rate. Now you have the opportunity to even the odds and have the room to win without counting on this amazingly high (and difficult to repeat) completion rate... :wink:

Great progress guys, things seem to be moving on in the red corner! However participation must be accelerated...

As you can see folks, there's a bit of a theme here...

Those of you in the event, all we can do grind out our results like before. However, to those of you lurking, what is stopping you from joining in the fun? The sole purpose of the event is to help you clear your backlog of models with the competitive edge there for a bit of spice, banter, and bragging rights. It will always be the participation that counts and there's always the chance something special will happen - like our run last year. If you're new, why not give it a whirl? If you're a veteran, surely there's something in that backlog to clear and/or some experience and techniques to impart?

Finally, I need to remind everyone to read the Spirit of the ETL and adhere to it lest our daemons get the better of us! We train daily on our mental strength to keep the Red Thirst at bay, let us use that to be a bastion of light during this event (as we smash all before us ;) )

Time for me to wade in and defend my crown (let's make sure this doesn't become a thing for me).

I MrYellow rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete 1 Lucius Pattern Scout Titan of total value 2000 pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

And here it is in the garage with the basecoat going down:

Cheers

LM

One word of warning - the Lucius is very vulnerable to being front heavy, if you are planning on leaving the upper hull so it comes off at the waist to make it easier to transport (it does help), you might want to consider attaching a deeper rod to the upper element of the join and drilling deeper into the hip connector - I really wish I had before I assembled the upper hull and painted it.

Anyone have any ideas on what color I should paint my chaplains robes, black on black and red on black just don't really seem like a good idea I was considering going with a purple or a brownish red.

Well, pure Mephiston Red cloak would make him look a bit like a Mechanicum adept. However building up from a dark brown highlighted with red would look good and appropriately grim. I've also seen some great paint-jobs where the armor was black and the coat was a very dark grey. The difference can also be in the way the armor and coat are highlighted with different colors (blue for the armor, greys/white for the coat).

Bone color wouldn't be good as he already has some bones on him and we usually want to drew the eye to the face. 

from the internet:

tumblr_p6r1dkTReK1uo7khto1_500.jpg

primaris_blood_angels_chaplain_3__sized.

Thanks chaps, more examples of great advice shared during this event. Hope to see more of this as the weeks go on.

Folks, if you have a question, please ask! There are no silly questions! :smile.:

Good luck for the second week everybody, I hope more people sign up for the Blood Angels. I want a fair fight! :wink:

How can you be Chaos and want a fair fight? Surely they cancel each other out?

To be fair, Chaos were still suffering from old models last year which is definitely not the case this year. I won't be participating this year but I wish all my BA brothers much luck ... I feel like we are going to need it. :wink:

You will be missed you know. If the urge comes during this month you're more than welcome to join in :smile.:

The urge is there, just not the time. For one I'm in the middle of my final exams and the ETL is always during festival season. ^^

Good luck for the second week everybody, I hope more people sign up for the Blood Angels. I want a fair fight! :wink:

It is all lies and deception, lulling you with talk of friendly competition and mutual support - while in truth we plan your utter defeat, crushing your hopes and dreams in the process. Right now I am sticking rusty nails into a voodoo doll named "Jolemai"... :tongue.:

In all seriousness though: every participant brings in something unique, so for me "more=better" applies to all forums equally.

Checks date...

Checks time...

Checks date again...

Confused that no other vows are in already...

Ho-hum, tally-ho and all that whatnot!

I Leonaides rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete 4 primaris lieutenants (3 power sword/1 stock) and 2 captains with jump packs (1 th/combi melta and 1 relic axe) of total value 527pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Hey Leonaides, that's a lovely vow right there. However, we do need a starting picture in this thread (apologies if you've alerted Semper to this being elsewhere, etc, as i've been offline).

Oops - having just edited in an image of my starting marines i find myself in a pickle. I appear to have used up some leftover black on a few bits of one of my lieutenants (back right of image) so he's probably out of vow now. Should I replace with either a non-primaris Lieutenant with power sword (not shown but i will riad the bits box), or a primaris phobos lieutenant (as shown in photo adjacent to offendingly painted model)? Thoughts? Phobos captain is using stealth mode to also appear now but will possibly make an appearance in a later vow (will be re-photographed for that though)

gallery_19254_15444_157136.jpg

Here we go. Im gonna be at my local club tonight, working on them!

Cheers folks - and thanks to everyone else who's responded to the questions I've been asking :smile.:

Multiple Land Raiders after the Titan? Looks like I may need to get my extra Land Raiders, Storm Eagle and Dreadnoughts built...

Haha, and here I was hoping I could at least get close :tongue.:

Alas, my 1st vow is NOT my last word! I will continue to pledge no matter the odds!

Sounds like there's a serious battle for Champion on now!

Long way to go yet but there's certainly three favourites! Forum Champion scores for the previous ETLs in case anyone is interested:

ETL I - 3525

ETL II - 3190

ETL III - 4841

ETL IV - 4685

ETL V - 3000

ETL VI - 4336

It is all lies and deception, lulling you with talk of friendly competition and mutual support - while in truth we plan your utter defeat, crushing your hopes and dreams in the process. Right now I am sticking rusty nails into a voodoo doll named "Jolemai"... :tongue.:

In all seriousness though: every participant brings in something unique, so for me "more=better" applies to all forums equally.

Can you go for the lower back first please? Save me paying for acupuncture :thumbsup:

TOp9rUU.jpg

7HfwRJb.jpg

Zenithal work is always impressive, does it take much longer than a normal undercoat? also what red have you used?

Hopefully Squad Aziraphale will be a Good Omen for us in this event...

I pretty much always zenithal prime with my airbrush now, as it only adds an extra 10-20 minutes or so to do a basic transition which helps guide further layers however I'm doing them.

These guys are taking quite a bit longer though to pre-shade (maybe 1½ to 2 hours on 5 guys) as given all the sticking out plates on marines and that honking backpack if you just do a basic zenithal, you kinda end up with white from the shoulders up, and black from the elbows down to the calves! So I'm doing panel shading too, i.e. on each major plate such as the shoulder or shin plate, you artifically add a small airbrushed gradient from black to white to add some visual interest when it's coloured in with translucent paint. *That* is the tricky bit. It's easy to either end up too subtle so it all gets lost under the topcoat, or do it so aggressively it just looks really artificial and wrong aka the 'that's so obviously over-airbrushed' or 'kenny' (ahem) effect.

I'm sure someone with more skill on the trigger than me could crack it out in minutes, but I do need to go back and forth a little when I overdo it, and my poor airbrush is taking repeated baths in the sonic cleaner because spraying at 5 psi to do delicate work without getting spider runs is the fast trip to repeated clogs and eventual blowback, even with flow aid and thinner.

I'm using our own LutherMax's faster new method for the red. He spent a lot of effort working it out and putting together a lovely step-by-step guide for the whole scheme that he's charging less than a pot of paint for, and I've probably revealed too much already - doesn't feel right to give away all his secrets! I'm going to be diverging somewhat from his method for the detail work due to preference and Contrast, so we'll see how that goes.

And after saying all that, I think you could probably do a simpler wider-angle zenithal (enough to catch the legs) without all the panel shading and do a Contrast red layer over the top. Contrast will add shading for you and get a passable result - and would be much quicker - though I think this is going to be worth the extra effort for me!

It shows how much zenithal and pre-shading has entered the mainstream though, GW have a new demo of a spraycan version!

gallery_93928_15461_14281.jpg

Well, I know it doesn't look like much but I've got most of the base coating done. I still need to splash some layers on and clean up some then i'll hit it with a wash.

I guess i'll try to keep the wash in the shadowed areas and the recesses. The chaplain fell and i had to reglue his crozius and have been thinking about gluing something to the underside of the citadel painting handle to prevent knocking the attached model over.

I Brother Lemartes rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete:

- Captain with combi-flamer and power axe

20190609 031306 resized

- Lieutenant with jump pack, inferno pistol, and power sword

20190609 031546 resized

- Sanguinary Priest with bolt pistol and power sword

20190609 031244 resized

-5x Death Company, 2 thunder hammers, 2 plasma pistols, one power sword

20190609 031216 resized

- Leviathan Dreadnought with 2x heavy flamer, storm cannon, siege claw, melta gun 

20190609 031320 resized

- Stormraven with twin assault cannon, typhoon missile launcher, hurricane bolters

20190609 031940 resized

of total value 1,013pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

I Brother Lemartes rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete:

- Captain with combi-flamer and power axe

- Lieutenant with jump pack, inferno pistol, and power sword

- Sanguinary Priest with bolt pistol and power sword

-5x Death Company, 2 thunder hammers, 2 plasma pistols, one power sword

- Leviathan Dreadnought with 2x heavy flamer, storm cannon, siege claw, melta gun 

- Stormraven with twin assault cannon, typhoon missile launcher, hurricane bolters

of total value 1,013pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Really nice vow there - all the best with it and please keep us updated on how it's going! :)

... I like the weapon choice on the Leviathan for the event too ;)

gallery_93928_15461_14281.jpg

Well, I know it doesn't look like much but I've got most of the base coating done. I still need to splash some layers on and clean up some then i'll hit it with a wash.

I guess i'll try to keep the wash in the shadowed areas and the recesses. The chaplain fell and i had to reglue his crozius and have been thinking about gluing something to the underside of the citadel painting handle to prevent knocking the attached model over.

Great red there :tu:

The scratching on the base, that's to help it stay attached, right? As for the painting handle, would a blob of blue tack suffice?