Terminator Consolidation

The answer is fixing Terminators. Spam is bad for the game, always has been.

Yes, but a blanket rule just causes headaches. At the risk of getting off topic, just take a look at the Dark Eldar, with their 1 HQ choice per sub-faction, without counting special characters.

If you want to play a themed army that requires you to spam a non-Troop unit more than 3 times then you probably should consider talking with your opponent not to use rules that are designed as only suggestions for tournaments and aren't part of the actual Matched Play rules for a reason. ;)

I'm not talking about themed armies, I'm talking about making use of the Dark Eldar "Chapter Tactics" in larger matches, which requires each of the Kabals/Cults/Covens to be in their own detachments to benefit. However, yes, the Rule of 3 can just be discounted in that sort of situation, assuming the opponent agrees. Hopefully we'll get some form of lieutenant-equivalents in our next Codex.

I'm not talking about themed armies, I'm talking about making use of the Dark Eldar "Chapter Tactics" in larger matches, which requires each of the Kabals/Cults/Covens to be in their own detachments to benefit. However, yes, the Rule of 3 can just be discounted in that sort of situation, assuming the opponent agrees. Hopefully we'll get some form of lieutenant-equivalents in our next Codex.

I didn't quote you so I wasn't replying specifically to you.

The rule of three is daft. If taking a lot of a particular unit makes your army overpowered then that’s a problem with the unit being overpowered/undercosted. If the unit was balanced properly in the first place you could take as many as you want and it would still be balanced. That is, after all, the whole point of balance/points.

Currently there are way more units (including all the varieties of Terminators) that would not be a problem if you took 4+ units of them than there are units where it would cause an issue yet rather than address the specific units, GW have taken a lazy approach with a blanket restriction.

The Force Deployment chart back in 3rd edition used basically the same concept. Up to 6 Troops and 3 of the specialty units. Actually without a "special" rule it was more restrictive if I remember correctly?

Edited by Dracos