+++Dark Angels Outpost+++

Well done DA!

I knew I should have painted the 5000 points of Intersessors in my cupboard...

:devil::wink:

Can we blame it on you then? :biggrin.:

Seriously though 2nd place is nothing to sniff at. A real gritty effort worthy of the Unforgiven, proud of us all!  Now to prepare something huge for next year... how many of us can max out at 15k?

Sorry for the double post, but my previous comment made me realise something that's been on my mind these lasts months. Each ETL some people have to make a choice between two options: paint the gray hordes or go for high points with fewer models. I entered the ETL when the event wasn't overly competitive, so I painted my tacticals, since I hadn't found the motivation to paint them before. It resulted in a lot of painted models in the end, but for a pretty low addition to the overall score.

I altered some of my vows this event. Squads of infantry got replaced by HQ's, since they're pretty much the same points for alot less effort. Why paint 5 intercessors when a single Librarian is worth MORE than those five guys. Somehow I feel bad for skipping those squads, but I feel equally bad for the squads I DID paint, since they contributed barely anything to our end result while there were more expensive alternatives. 

With how close we were this year to winning, I'm already planning on saving I my big models for next years event, while ignoring the footsloggers that won't be of much use. A real divergence for my thoughts a couple of years ago.

I feel like I'm getting further away from the initial goal of the ETL in favour of the competitive side of things. It would suprise me if I'm the only one in that regard. There should be something that rewards a higher modelcount, but I have no idea how such I thing could be implemented.

I kind of feel the same way GRC... I plan on having at least a Knight  for next year.

The mistake I made this year was vows of one model like a Lt etc...

Hell I think I did 43 models for the event but the point were low :sad.:

Edited by Lieutenant Arkley

Congratulations on that second place, brothers!

Watching the "final sprint" between you and the AoD-L guys was breathtakingly awesome!

Your second place is well deserved, especially considering the Artificers (the one recognized by the Inner Circle and all the others too) among you!

As I said earlier: You delivered quantity AND quality.

Now i will take preperations to paint the Dark Angels I owe you guys...

Congratulations on a battle well fought. Your second place is due not to any lack of commitment to the Lion, but to the abject insanity of a small group in AoD-L. And today those of us in AoD-L will be committed. I do hope they let have paints in the insane asylum... :)

Seriously, this was a well fought campaign and you proved the toughest of competition. It was an honor to face you in battle and look forward to a rematch next year.

Edited by Semper Fortis

Congratulations on a battle well fought. Your second place is due not to any lack of commitment to the Lion, but to the abject insanity of a small group in AoD-L. And today those of us in AoD-L will be committed. I do hope they let have paints in the insane asylum...

Seriously, this was a well fought campaign and you proved the toughest of competition. It was an honor to face you in battle and look forward to a rematch next year.

With the amount some people vowed in AoD-L and AoD-T, I got the feeling that the powdery white stuff in their coffee/tea wasn't sugar :lol:

Don't worry to much about being second. 

We've hunted down chaos... that counts for something. :biggrin.:

This ETL was fun. It was exciting, because you all participated and did your best.:wub:

Thanks Cpt. Semper and all that helped him for the ETL

Thanks Grotsmasha for the opportunity to hunt our ancient foe. 

Thanks Lt. Arkley for the Rubicon Primaris event. I think, would not have painted any Primaris during the ETL, where it not for this event. 

@GRC: Yes, maybe a Knight next year....

Fantastic effort everyone! What an insane ETL!

Yea, low model count/ high points per model is the way to go. I doubt we’ll ever see mass waves of guardsmen or orks winning the event. I knew I wouldn’t have a lot of time to paint this year, here’s hoping next year I’ll have a bit more time. And maybe I’ll pull the trigger on getting a knight finally...

Again, thank you Capt Semper for this event. Your efforts are incredible and so very appreciated.

And thank you Grotsmasha and Arkley for the satellite events :tu:

Edit: I can’t believe I almost forgot. Congrats Lost on having your Hellblasters recognized for the Artificer Badge! You truly deserve it!

Edited by Greenz

I'm visiting WH World next month, will likely pick up a pair of FW Knights that can sit on the shelf unpainted until next ETL, it would be like slacking but with a purpose. :devil:

OK, let me share some of my thoughts on the matter:

My first point is: PAINT WHAT YOU WANT TO PAINT. By that I mean do not overly think of the rules and the ETL mechanics. Instead paint what you want for your army, or what draws your attention artistically. If you paint something that you force yourself to paint in an attempt to play the rules instead of the game, then it's way more probable to lose interest half-way and result in failure. Even if you press yourself to see it through, you may not enjoy the event as much - it may look more like a chore than a thing you do for fun. And no-one wants that...

My second point is: PARTICIPATION BEATS POINTS. That's true. Now the fact the TheStatusJoe went to overdrive, well, that's something one can do little about. A good proxy of how the AoD-L would look otherwise is the AoD-T. Now these guys played "by the book" so to speak. They compensated their lack of numbers with high point vows and they had a 90%+ completion rate - they completed what they were set out to do. But their final score could not beat the SMs for example - that brought in a completion rate of 73%... or CSMs with an even lower completion rate of 67%. Why? Both of those teams had 4x and 5.6x more participants respectively. Even us, with an average vow of just 30% of that of the AoD-T  managed to win them by 2,000pts (although we had to run similar completion rates). Why? Almost 3x the participation levels...

What I'm saying is:

- Most important thing: Participation levels. Now this waxes and wanes and is depended on many things, such as recent releases, change of mood, upcoming tournaments, etc - so there is little control over it.

- Second most important thing: High completion rates - the SCR is highly dependent on it, and the main reason the ETL exists! :laugh.: Fulfil your promise and only good things will happen. Due to our HUGE completion rate we were leading the ETL up to the mid-day of the last day. And TheStatusJoe's 15k pts was not the reason we lost, it was lokkorex's last completion of 1.7k pts that were added and drove the CR sufficiently high to beat us... Otherwise we would have won by 127pts!!! So maybe another vow of just 2k-ish points could have tipped the balance (we didn't require a Martyr - completion rates and participation levels were doing their job) .

- Third most important thing: a good mix of small, mid-sized and some high value vows. That will allow for all tastes and will help with the ETL mechanics too. People should attempt to paint what they really want to paint to add to their armies or just for the fun of it - not by compelling themselves to paint high point items in order to "win". If that's the case, chances of failure increase and fun can go out of the window - which is the last thing we want!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for small vows - not at all! If you want to paint large, point-rich units go ahead an do it - they'd be most welcome! Just don't do it because you think that's the way to win, do it because that's what you want to do anyway. :smile.:

OK, let me share some of my thoughts on the matter:

My first point is: PAINT WHAT YOU WANT TO PAINT. By that I mean do not overly think of the rules and the ETL mechanics. Instead paint what you want for your army, or what draws your attention artistically. If you paint something that you force yourself to paint in an attempt to play the rules instead of the game, then it's way more probable to lose interest half-way and result in failure. Even if you press yourself to see it through, you may not enjoy the event as much - it may look more like a chore than a thing you do for fun. And no-one wants that...

-Snip-

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for small vows - not at all! If you want to paint large, point-rich units go ahead an do it - they'd be most welcome! Just don't do it because you think that's the way to win, do it because that's what you want to do anyway. :smile.:

That's just the thing, What I want to paint isn't always what I need painted. I want to paint my expensive big models. But I would have painted those anyway, since they are fun to paint and have larger results for less time invested. It's painting all the footsloggers that always gets me down. The ETL was a nice way to motivate painting these up, since now you had peer pressure once you make that initial vow to see it through the end. It just felt less rewarding at the end, since the contribution to the faction seemed insignifcant compared to the amount of models painted.

Now my intention would be to save the big ones for the event, paint the things I love, get in those points and feel satisfied at the end. The only issue would be that I still have squads of marines left, which was the whole point in joining the event in the first place. Still, I got burned out by the infantry this year and had a hard time recovering. I'm going to stockpile the new FW-releases for the next event and attempt to paint all the tedious stuff during the year, that way I get more enjoyment and points out of the ETL.

In a way it makes me do the hobby during the year and save the fun stuff for the event, so maybe it isn't that bad after all.

Painting Tactical Marine equivalent: 5 hours- 13 points(ave).

Painting FW Knight: 50 hours- 500 points (ish).

Fun calculation... Knight beats Tactical every day.

Painting shelves of shame: Ravenwing biker 10 hours each 25 points. Nope

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

5 hours for a marine and 10 for a bike? Ouch

Now, I am nowhere near as good a painter as you, Stobby, but that is a scary amount of time to allocate to one model. The stuff I do now is something like 1-1,5 hours for a marine (when I do batches of 5-10) and 2,5 hours or so for a bike. But then again, mine is not anywhere near your standards.

Painting Tactical Marine equivalent: 5 hours- 13 points(ave).

Painting FW Knight: 50 hours- 500 points (ish).

Fun calculation... Knight beats Tactical every day.

Painting shelves of shame: Ravenwing biker 10 hours each 25 points. Nope

5 hours for a marine and 10 for a bike? Ouch

Now, I am nowhere near as good a painter as you, Stobby, but that is a scary amount of time to allocate to one model. The stuff I do now is something like 1-1,5 hours for a marine (when I do batches of 5-10) and 2,5 hours or so for a bike. But then again, mine is not anywhere near your standards.

I mean, it took me about 6 hours to paint the Knight I did for the ETL. And that wasn't in one sitting, but over the course of three or four days :lol: