Forgot to post my update this week so here is my first "test" model for my firewarriors

5TubGdw.jpg

1wGB2vq.jpg

This guy was painted exclusively with contrast paints (apothecary white armor, SW grey fatigues, black templar gun, and tallisar blue skin) over a plain white primer (I use krylon cause it's nice and smooth) and then drybrushes over with celestra grey, although I think I'll forgo that step on future minis.

All of them are pretty much up to this point and I gotta day this is making my vow go SOOO much smoother than last year

The white armour doesn't look much different from having it primed white and the grey fatigues looks like a very shallow white priming. The black is not very convincing either, but the blue looks great imo!

These contrast paints require a lot of testing and experimenting until we find out what works best I guess. Too bad I don't really have anything to use them on currently so I won't be able to dip into the fun just yet.

EDIT: I hate not quoting someone I reply to just to see my post ending up on the next page without context. :dry.:

Edited by sfPanzer

I think I'd rather like to hear Semper's opinion on that as I'd certainly disagree. I'll happily go ahead and raise my entire army to Russ Grey if you turn out to be right though.

No need for that Dawnstar - the vow is fine as it stands. You can hardly tell the difference from where I'm standing and you certainly don't get an unfair advantage out of it, in my view.

Good luck sir! :)

Great progress everyone! 

@ von Trapp: The blue looks really, really good! For the grey and the black, I might consider going over them one more time. Mind you, I have no experience with Contrast paints so I may have this wrong - but I believe going thick is generally safer than going thin. I know it's against everything we've done with regular paints if our previous lives... :lol:

@ Carn: Love the scheme and love the work on the bases! Carry on man! :tu:

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

More progress!

Decided to go back with a thicker second coat and the results are night and day, this is just a single thick coat of apothecary white over everything except their skin:

NbJJSvD.jpg

rqJ5PpO.jpg

JUo7rTP.jpg

ivmXKQs.jpg

When they say one thick coat they mean it! It is still a little wet in these pictures but overall I think it looks great, it also has the added benefit of glazing over the darker grey to make it not such a stark "contrast" from the lighter grey panels

More progress!

Decided to go back with a thicker second coat and the results are night and day, this is just a single thick coat of apothecary white over everything except their skin:

Hidden Content

NbJJSvD.jpgrqJ5PpO.jpgJUo7rTP.jpgivmXKQs.jpg

When they say one thick coat they mean it! It is still a little wet in these pictures but overall I think it looks great, it also has the added benefit of glazing over the darker grey to make it not such a stark "contrast" from the lighter grey panels

What primer did you use? I like the look.

More progress!

Hidden Content

NbJJSvD.jpgrqJ5PpO.jpgJUo7rTP.jpgivmXKQs.jpg

What primer did you use? I like the look.

This is just flat white krylon, it's my go to white primer cause I hate gws and I've slowly started replacing my gw primers with krylon (I have the grey and it's a much nicer shade then Mechanicus Standard Grey)

Started working on my FSE stealthsuits:

xHzNSV5.jpg

9eeBNbl.jpg

This is just a single coat of Blood Angel Red over a Krylon flat grey primer and honestly I think it looks phenomenal! I'm going to go back and drybrush over the entire area with a brighter red then paint the guns black and paint in details. That said I just realized T'au sept uses white as its sept color so I need to figure out something different for my firewarriors

Good progress guys - let's hope more will join the greater good! 

------------------------------

THIS IS THE LAST FULL WEEK OF RECRUITMENT - IF YOU PLAN TO JOIN DO SO FAST!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Saturday progress update:

• Stealth Suits: Completed.
  • Shadowsun: Completed (besides Drones still needing some work).
  • Crisis Suits: Suits themselves to be completed today; Fusion Blasters yet to be started.
  • 10 Assorted Drones: Yet to be started.
  • Ghostkeel and Drones: Yet to be started.

I now think it's extremely unlikely I'll have all this done by next week's lock-in but that's hardly the end of the world. Certainly should have it finished before the week ending on the 13th though.

gallery_48988_15465_167408.png

+++THIS IS THE CUT-OFF POINT FOR THE FOURTH WEEKLY UPDATE+++

ALL VOWS AND COMPLETIONS AFTER THIS POINT WILL BE REGISTERED FOR THE FITFTH WEEKLY UPDATE

ONLY 48HRS FOR NEW PARTICIPANTS TO JOIN!

JULY 1ST @ 17:00 GMT IS THE CUT-OFF FOR NEW PARTICIPANTS

AFTER THAT, NEW PARTICIPANTS MAY ONLY JOIN AS OUT-OF-COMPETITION ENTRIES

The Ta'unar is now looking something like a Suit rather than a collection of bits

gallery_62353_11005_42045.jpg

The hips and legs have been reinforced with 2mm brass rod.

gallery_62353_11005_84770.jpg

gallery_62353_11005_50599.jpg

Just the weapons to do and it will be complete

gallery_48988_15465_167408.png

ONLY 1.5HRS FOR NEW PARTICIPANTS TO JOIN!

JULY 1ST @ 17:00 GMT IS THE CUT-OFF FOR NEW PARTICIPANTS

AFTER THAT, NEW PARTICIPANTS MAY ONLY JOIN AS OUT-OF-COMPETITION ENTRIES

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

alrighty, the first part of my vow is done (at least until i go back and decide to base them all but i'll probably do that all at the end)

oR0iyNf.jpg

k4uL9QN.jpg

87yEoV0.jpg

ttWYqTW.jpg

stealth suits actually need their stealth field effects but I'm going to do that at the same time as the basing to keep it consistent

I am also not sure what color to paint their "braids" because I cannot find any official tau models painted with their braids showing

but as of right now these 4 squads are "done" up to my standard, considering my very limited time i was worried i was going to fail my ETL vow again this year but by the greater good contrast paints make this SOOOO much easier!