+++Age of Darkness Loyalist Outpost (AoD-L)+++

A handful of Custodes, A squad of Raven Guard, one Ultramarine, and a kitbashed speeder. All done. I call that a very productive Saturday.

gallery_106786_15606_123820.jpg

Vow #4. I'm going to have to start stealing models from someone else- I'm running out of things to paint here. Will you accept vows for Guild Ball models, Semper? How many points can I get for finishing my Cooks and Farmers?

One Raven Guard Praetor, with all the fixin's. Iron Halo, Artificer Armor, Bolt Pistol, Paragon Claw, Cameloline, Infravisor, Digital Lasers, Mastercraft the Claw,and a Melta Bomb. 195 points.

gallery_106786_15606_135911.jpg

...I call that a very productive Saturday...

A Saturday... StatusJoe, if I didn't respect you so much I could hate you. That would take me a month! Captain Semper may be correct. There's just something a little demonic about your speed. :lol:

The only thing that drives me, is unending loyalty to the Emperor. Nothing Daemonic here, gents.

Yeah, that's what Fulgrim said... :) Just kidding, man. I know you're a loyalist through and through.

@lionofjudah: shes looking great dude! How are you doing your heat burns? Airbrushed ink?

@strumanchu: love the gritty look you gave your Ultramarines! Different from the usual "pretty boys" look!

@ Semper Fortis: Congrats on the completion and the swift follow-up! Good luck to you! 

@ TheStatusJoe: You have tremendous momentum man... And to think you were having second thoughts of joining the ETL after the end of the L&T... :lol: As for fantasy football, I can accept any amount of Blood Bowl (via PM of course - it's not allowed in the boards) - but Guild Ball? :no: No interest sorry... BTW, I assume this was a completion correct? Since there is a follow-up vow and everything... 

@ StruManChu: Those are looking fantastic mate... Very nice weathering effects - good thing you kept it measured and you didn't go overboard with it! :tu:

@ lionofjudah: this is turning out to be a MONSTER!!! Lovely paint job both in the armour and the gun barrels! Beautiful stuff...

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Vow Complete*!

Getting this done gives me no small amount of pleasure. 50 infantry, 3 characters, 3 bikes, a Javelin and a Dread is more than I've ever painted for literally any army in 20 years of hobbying. It's also double my entire ETL output last year. I'm also not stopping yet, but more on that in a bit...

@Henimann - Thanks dude! Personally I hate the 40k/pretty boy aesthetic. To me, 30k Ultramarines are very much the line troops of the Great Crusade. They're not the glory boys, they're not particularly innovative or maybe as unique as some of the other legions (basically all their unique stuff is a copy of someone else's :biggrin.:), but they still get down and dirty and fight against the worst odds in the galaxy when the call goes out. Know No Fear completely changed my outlook on them when I first read it.

@Captain Semper - Again, thank you! I had plans to do the full oil/pin wash treatment, but it wasn't really working for me. I kept it a little more sedate with sponging and a little bit of glazing and it's come up good, so I'm pleased!

*I live in Scotland. I refuse to wait until the weather deigns to give me a decent, low humidity, rain-free day to Dullcote these guys in the garden so I don't fill my house (and tiny child) up with those terrible fumes. Urgh. It's supposed to be summer!

Anyway. To the pics, which are numerous!

gallery_67188_8872_410313.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_163210.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_246977.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_286543.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_48767.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_522431.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_156000.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_437020.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_143647.jpg

The need to Dullcote these guys is really obvious in some of these pics, especially the Destroyers.

Also, apparently my phone only focuses on the tablecloth, so sorry about that! :biggrin.:

Vow 2 coming later on, after Captain Semper has handed down his ruling on some of the bits I need to do next!

Stru, brother, awesome completion. Your dedication to the Emperor knows no bounds. Wish I could give you my whole allotment of likes for the day. You rock man! And I really like the way you weathered them.

And in totally NOT related to a completion news, I have the Baneblade built and ready for primer. Saved the sponsons and a few of the bits out separately for ease of painting. I'm going to push like heck to try and make next week's update cutoff. Sleep is highly overrated anyway. :)

gallery_86689_11936_1507156.jpg

@ stru: excellent completion - that brings the AoD-L at the lead of the entire ETL at this moment! I'll consider your 2nd vow and reply within the day...

@ thelionofjudah: This is turning out magnificent... very nice dark bronze there, complements your tone of red greatly! 

@ Fortis: Sleep is highly overrated indeed - we only have one life to live, do we want to spend it sleeping? Baneblade is full of promise!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

@Fortis - Looking good! I hope you're pin washing with all those rivets, otherwise you'll drive yourself insane!

@lion - Such a nice, rich red. You're not helping me resist getting one of my own!

And for me, thanks all! Really grateful for the positive feedback. As I say, really happy with how they've turned out, and looking forward to cracking on with the rest!

@Fortis - Looking good! I hope you're pin washing with all those rivets, otherwise you'll drive yourself insane!

@lion - Such a nice, rich red. You're not helping me resist getting one of my own!

And for me, thanks all! Really grateful for the positive feedback. As I say, really happy with how they've turned out, and looking forward to cracking on with the rest!

Wow!!! Your completion just put us at the lead of the entire ETL!!! I think you should change your name to Luckycharm.

And yeah, pin wash indeed, but I'm already certifiably nuts, brother. :lol:

@Lionofjudah, that looks beautiful! Any tips on oil washes? Haven't really tried them yet and was thinking of giving it a shot on what might be my next vow.

Henimann- oil washes are great visually/easy to do and very effective at conveying a color shift like nothing else:)

Also.., you can get small tubes of oil paint for super cheap that will last forever.

The oils I’m working with now are the Oil Brushers from Ammo by MiG ... earth and dirt used here (correspond to burnt umber and burnt sienna- by far the 2 most used oils in my usage for armor modeling:)

Stepwise- ***if using oil from tube get a small piece of cardboard and put a small dollop of oil paint on the cardboard and wait 10-15 minutes for the carrier oil to leach out onto the cardboard-VERY important.

* after basecoat and highlights gloss varnish your work- oils move easier on very smooth surfaces

* put a few drops of Windsor & Newton sansador on your oils to make a bit of a wash

*apply a healthy coat of oil with a brush to model

* wait a few minutes until oil starts to look dry

*remove excess colors with a clean and lint free cloth-J cloth is great color this

***you can do a whole plethora of weathering and lighting effects with oils - I love the AFV FAQ books and the weathering magazine by Ammo has cool tidbits if you’re a bibliophile... on the Internet you can find a ton of info on techniques.

Hope you're all ready to watch me go mad over the next less than four weeks :biggrin.:

I StruManChu rise again to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Loyalists in the Age of Darkness and vow to complete -

HQ

Damocles Command Rhino: Dozer Blade, Extra Armour - 110 points

Herald: Artificer Armour, Legatine Axe, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field - 145 points

Praetor: Tartaros Terminator Armour, Digital Lasers, Grenade Harness, Iron Halo, Master-crafted Paragon Blade, Volkite Charger - 212 points

Invictarus Suzerain Squad Command Squad: 7x Invictarus Suzerains, 2x Plasma Pistol, 2x Thunder Hammer - 310 points

+ Elites +

2 x Contemptor Dreadnoughts: Plasma Cannons, Extra Armour, Chainfists and Graviton Guns - 430 points

Tartaros Terminator Squad: 3 x Power Fists, 2 x Chainfists, 1 x Volkite Charger, 1 x Plasma Blastgun, 3 x Combi-Plasma - 253 points

+ Troops +

Tactical Support Squad - Plasma Guns, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs - 190 points

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Squadron - 575 points

- Land Raider Phobos: Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Extra Armour

- Land Raider Proteus: Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Dozer Blade, Explorator Augury Web, Extra Armour, Pintle Heavy Bolter, Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Lascannons

Sicaran Venator - Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Lascannon Sponsons - 260 points

Additional units at a 30% reduction because of work already undertaken -

3 x Rhinos - Dozer Blades, Extra Armour - 135 points reduced to 95 points

2 x Vindicator Siege Tanks - Armoured Ceramite, Combi-Bolter, Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Laser Destroyer Array, Machine Spirit - 370 points reduced to 259 points

... with a total value of 2,839 points on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

I've taken over most of the flat surfaces in my house to have this stuff built and primed as quickly as possible. My wife can't argue though. It's my birthday tomorrow, and that means I get to be a bit of an ass until Monday. :happy.:

Pics go under tags!

gallery_67188_8872_304478.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_48855.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_79048.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_53094.jpg

gallery_67188_8872_350060.jpg

The reason these guys have a 30% reduction in points is because I used them as a tester for my blue, first to see if I could do it, then to see if I could replicate it a few times and keep it consistent. Still a load of work to do on them, so I'm happy to be getting at least some points considering I'd made a bit of a start on them already! The good Captain Semper is both wise and just.

Things are very much WIP at this point, and I still need to build the Contemptors, the Damocles and finish the Sicaran and my Praetor conversion, which is possibly my favourite hobby thing I've ever done. However, I'm making a start on the Raiders tonight. Let's push through, dear Frater. Even though we're few in number and there's still quite a number of uncompleted first vows, we might be able to pull off something huge here.