+++Age of Darkness Traitor Outpost (AoD-T)+++

i did a quick color test today for my thousand sons. I did not bother to highlight the gold/brass. I just wanted to check if the red is alright and the contrasting secondary colors are a match. I wanted a metallic red, but different to the typical candy red. I guess I can now base coat and highlight the minis I actually included in my vow…

Your feedback is much appreciated. I won't start painting properly before Thursday sadly…

image2-1.jpg image1-1.jpg

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

Hmm, I rather like the colour that you've got going on there, okonomiyakimarine, dude. The secondary colours do work (interesting transition on those pteruges, looks like they transition from dark cobalt blue to violet. I always wanted to see that transition in marines in general, feels criminally underused as is turquoise. I think the metallic red is good, but a thinned secondary gloss varnish might rally set the colour off as the finish would be different compared to the gold/brass. It shows well on the back because of the angle so it's likely entirely because of the camera angle there. But as the metal trim is so dark, I think it might actually do to hit the highpoints with some brighter golds so it doesn't start to blend with the copper red. What's the basing gonna look like? Just curious.

Altis, that pose is killer. Though clean up can so easily be done in 24 hours (If you're crazy :P Yeah they are a pain, ain't they?) Is there a straight pin through the feet and ruins? That's a lot smaller diameter base than I used so I'm always just curious and just as easily worried given how much weight got swung when the head is attached. It's looking terrific!

Florida Omegon, thaaaat's what I'm talkin' about my dude! Great Gribbly Scott and some right proper legion troopers in that next batch, it's shaping up awesome.

And thankies Chaoself, I'm pretty happy with how Mal's coming along so far. Just one or two little bits to clean up yet to go. I figured he fit the bill and was recognizable enough... I hope, for a Luna Wolf sort.

And goood eye Status Joe, Absolutely my dude! Yep, nicked one of Bobby G's standards given that the model is still in pieces for me. Ugh, I haven't had a lot of luck with him, only primarch that I haven't enjoyed doing thus far (his 40K version was pretty neat, admittedly). Think I just gotta strip 'em and start over, maybe alongside Magnus who I've got laying around here for a vow, somewhere.

Well, as for me, family decided to come over and interrupt all my time. But I haven't been idle, no, not quite. I've managed to get some more work done.

gallery_107230_14721_99707.jpg

Gotta clean up some lines around the helmet lenses and bolter barrel rims, and the wheel rims for that matter.

gallery_107230_14721_49374.jpgPlasma cannons are basically done. Yeah there's supposed to be feeder lines but I have NEVER had as many issues resin bending those sorts of things as I did here. Tossed a few in a field while quoting Fabius Bile while my ultra-religious extended family was around.... worth it, totally worth it for what I've had to put up with this week. I'll likely add some more plasma canisters in the weapon gap, and I need to clean up the pauldron eyes a bit. They were giving me problems when I had to paint the black over gloss as I'd forgotten about them at first.

gallery_107230_14721_123395.jpg

Got the second dread kit in and it's nearly done being built. Just letting green stuff dry on the top-most part where I sunk the magnets for the havoc launchers.

@okonomiyakimarine, I agree with Vykes, get a shine on that red to really make it pop! Great looking model!

@Vykes, cheers, I'm hoping to have her all together this week and get the painting going. Yeah there's metal rods through both feet, that's the reason for the ruins. Feels very stable, even with the main body on. Great update yourself. I'm always impressed with how quick you guys are!

Great progress everyone, however, the Loyalists have some 1.3k pledged points more and are some 10pps of completion rate and 2.6k of completed points ahead. 

No pressure, but some completions will be more than welcome at this point. ;)

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

She walks! It's been a long time coming, but hoping to have her finished in the coming week. Then onto the Knights.

img_20190720_1928094050976457374757310.j

img_20190720_1928386002684203895471059.j

img_20190720_1928239085092174708630723.j

I was kinda hoping to have my vow completed by the end of July, but I think I'm gonna struggle with that. If I'm lucky I can squeeze another smaller vow in before the cutoff, but I'm not getting ahead of myself

I haven’t been posting updates although there has been weekly progress. Might be able to finish the first vow in the next two weeks.

Not quite as far along as I had intended to be. It was always going to be a slow start due to things that were going on with work in June and July. But, I also started playing again and have had less painting time between a few games and model prep. On the plus side...I now have over 3k of unpainted stuff ready to choose from if I do re-vow, including a Perturabo that the wife gifted.

@Altis - Sure. Lighting set up isn't the best right now but will do for a WIP.

One of the Gal Vorbak: Next step is glazing / contrast paints and then on to finish up the smaller details. I've probably spent too much time tinkering with the Gal Vorbak and could have gotten close to this stage much faster than I did if I had a clearer idea of what I wanted to do. Experimenting on color and striations for the armor led to me redoing portions of this several times. These are some of my favorite models however so no regrets on taking the time to figure it out. Shading is a blend of green and reddish brown, depending on the section of the armor. The white section is a build up of ~3 very thinned layers from a medium grey up to grey seer.

gallery_70556_15574_25909.jpg

Iron Warrior Consul: Base armor is done although I'll probably do another set of highlights and spot shading. This is a combination of leadbelcher with argax earthshade and druchii violet glazes. Once I finish that, on to details (bronze armor bits, hazard stripes, face). Decided to go with cork on the base instead of the sector mechanicus bases. Might wish I'd stuck with pre-fab bases later when this decision turns in to building custom cork bases for 100+ infantry....

gallery_70556_15574_13706.jpg

Lorgar: Base armor is done unless I take another shot at spot highlights and shading. (I should; concerned I'll mess up what I have already done.) Doesn't show well in the picture but there are 3-4 layers on the grey armor. Gold armor has been blocked out to prepare for layering and glazing. Head still needs some work and I have to decide if my hands are steady enough to try the tattoos.

gallery_70556_15574_44672.jpg

No pics for the fortifications. Have to admit they are taking way longer than I expected. Partly because I underestimated the amount of detail vs surface area, partly because I've restarted them twice. Base colors are 70% blocked out and once that's done the shading and highlighting should go relatively fast.

Good to see some progress! 

@ Altis: This is probably the best posed Warhound I've ever seen! Extremely dynamic and looks agile despite the sheer size of the model. Top notch stuff! What's the Legio again? 

@ Shard of Magnus: Great shade of deep grey for Lorgar's armour there - almost blueish. Keep at it man, the AoD-T needs you... The Loyalists have similar resources but much higher utilisation - any completions here cannot come soon enough! :tu:

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Thanks Semper, I'm pretty pleased with her so far and hoping to get her finished by the weekend. I can see now why people prep these large models well before the ETL starts, it's taken ages!

Legio Tempestus is how she'll be painted, and I've already got plans to add to the legio for next year's etl ;)

@magnus, that's some great work there, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the squad!

How's everyone else getting on?

Summer sucks, up until 2 days ago it was like 10 degrees C and I had to turn the furnace on if I wanted to do any work, though I didn't get much time to with farmwork. Ugh, now it's 30+C.

I've basically finished the pair of box-naughts for the Luna Wolf drop corps, now I have Horus, a Praetor, a familiar, and 10 troopers. Should be done in a week I hope. Then I can get back to fretting about whether or not to assign the Javelin and Scimitars I have in reserve to Sons of Horus, Alpha, or Luna Wolves.

Anyway, some decent progress. Just need to add another layer of rust powder to the left-ern dread, "Hawk".

gallery_107230_14721_96442.jpg

Post Scriptum: Got the layer of Rust Dust and popped on the magnetic havoc launchers. There are a fair few spare weapons that got magnetized and now I'm searching for how to make more. Plasma cannons, pairs of assault cannons (for 40K), twin autocannons, pairs of twin las cannons, twin-linked heavy bolters, multi meltas. Now I'm working on Hunter Killer Missiles in place of the havocs, aaaand figuring out how to make flamestorms (though I suspect the extra heavy flamer pairs from the Baal tanks I owned will work)

Edited by Vykes

Thanks a ton Altis, if I have to have box-naughts then I'm gonna make them leggy as stubby dreads ain't my thing. 

-laughs- they should be a little familiar, they're the extra pistons from the warhound making it one of the more simple and vaguely ridiculous kitbashes I've done :P

Edited by Vykes

So I have been laying again. Totally take the blame. But it's kinda the way for nurgle. Slow and steady. I do have everything built and almost everything primed/based. But I wanted to get the harder things out of the way and without spoiling some surprises, here's what I've gotten done yesterday. Because I'm stuck at home a few hours since dealership is being lazy with work truck, imma get more done. Enjoy my slow progress

Working on a small project W.I.P. https://imgur.com/gallery/rvk27hP

Ugh, I ain't dead and ain't quittin' no time soon, no sir! Just a ton of farm work done got me down and workin' on few commission project ate up waaaaay more time than I'd like. But I do got some works in progress and, with a li'l luck, in the next day or two I'll be done and on to the next big vow (which I finally sorted... and may include, ugh, about 100 infantry)

gallery_107230_14721_46391.jpg

The Escher-based grenadiers and commanders are neaaaaaarly done. Just got some gems and a bit of skin clean up to take care of. I fully plan on giving the commanders some red eye of horus poleyn plates. Too perfect not too.

And the second WIp is the great horus himself... I shouldn't mention that I used him for practicing skin tones with inks, should I?

gallery_107230_14721_39000.jpg

The rest is in that 65% phase, with just 3 models to go.

-laughs- looots of folks are better at it than I am, but I may very well consider it for the next one so long as I can recall what I did.  A ton of that was just experimentation adding P3 inks to slowly blended the base tone with off-white before glazing them back over with previous layers.