Old Wolf rebuilding his Great Company

Heya there, old player from 3-5th edition. I stepped out during 6'th and 7th, and popped back in during the start of 8th due to all the lore updates enticing me. 

That being said, I'm am highly confused on what direction to take my old wolves. Suffice to say, they haven't really been updated to 8th edition standards (hell, I barely updated them to 5th edition standard), and with so many new options, I'm not sure where to take them. 

I had dreams of building a fast attack wolf force, with bikes and plenty of un-wolfy Jump packs, Sven Style. I also very much favor Space Wolf Scouts, as they've always made their points back and then some. I am also a madman, and enjoy eploying full 15 man squads of Blood Claws, just to watch opponents decide just how much firepower they want to waste taking it down. Never was one much for Terminators. Not sure how I feel about Wolf Mounts yet. What sort of units do you think I should add to my force, or are must haves for 8th edition? Any gunships (I've never owned one)? 

For list building sake, lets assume I'm not interested in using Primaris Marines for my Wolves (I'm planning on building a Primaris Custom chapter, just I heard something about Primaris not being able to use SW keywords, so they barely count as SWs on table), and also fluff wise, I don't think they've been developed well enough yet to fit in with my forces. Also, despite wanting a more fun themed list, If anyone has a good idea on how to make a Dark Eldar army bleed, I'm all ears. (Let's assume this Dark Eldar list runs like 10+ transports all mostly covered with wytch cult). 

In any case, I apologize for forcing my long fanged self back on everyone and for the need of assistance. It's been a while since my Wolves got a proper battle, and I'd like to get them primed (and painted) and ready to go. 

Edited by Wolf Lord Beowulf

First up, welcome back to the Aett. Grab a mjod and a place by the fire. Make yourslef comfortable brother.

Wall of text incoming...

Primaris, you have been misinformed unfortunately. On the table top they are as Fenrisian as any of our units, and get all the right key words etc. There are a few units that can add something to our forces, though nothing that excels in combat. They offer some good mid range fire support to aid our combat dudes (Aggressors, Intercessors) or are good for back field objectives and babysitting our heavy weapons (Infiltrators, Intercessors) . But if your not keen on the fluff and still don't want to include them, then that's fair.

Other than that, we have a few must haves, mainly Wulfen and Long Fangs.

Give the Wulfen all thunder hammers and storm shields (the pack leader must take frost claws though unfortunately) and watch them take out anything up to knight sized models. They don't have any stratagems that directly support them, but they are just terrifying in combat, and most opponents will try the gun them off the board ASAP. So keeping them well hiden in terrain till they are needed is a must. That or use the cunning of the wolf stratagem to keep them off the board till they are needed. The only transports they can take are big and expensive, so tend to get blasted off the board before moving your Wulfen anywhere. So I tend to not bother with them. Also if they are unsupported they go down pretty quick to massed firepower, so keep plenty of other bodies with them and maybe a wolf priest for heals.

Long Fangs are our Kings of range. They have an in built rule that let's them re-roll 1s to hit on a selected target, and a strat that let's them re-roll all hits or all wound rolls. We also have a generic strat that let's anyone ignore negative to hit modifiers, this helps our fangs too and will be useful against eldar of any type.

When talking weapons, Plasma Cannons are good all rounders, and can get a lot done. Also with they natural re-roll ones, don't be afraid to overcharge them. The rest of the weapon options are much the same as they ever where. Though adding a single missile launcher and heavy bolter into your squads gives you access to strats that cause mortal wounds, so they are useful (flakk missiles and Hellfire shells, respectively).

Other things worth taking, a Wolf Lord with jump pack, thunder hammer and storm shield, these guys put out good damage, and have access to warlord traits and relics that give them extra attacks which is nice. Same thing but not as powerful are the Wolfguard Battle Leaders equipped the same way. They are good if points are limited.

Rune Priests are useful, I usually include one at least, again with a jump pack for mobility. They have powers and stratagems to help shield the rest of the army storm caller and cloaked by the storm are a great combo. They are also useful near long fangs to deter deep strikers useing the chooser of the slain stratagem.

Next you will want to fill out a battalion for command points (2 HQ and 3 troop choices). Unfortunately none of our troop choices have access to bikes or jump packs, so it's something in a transport. Assault cannon Razorbacks are great for clearing out walls of infantry, leaving the way clear for the Wulfen to attack bigger targets. I would go grey hunters to put in them, as their range compliments the Razorbacks and a bare bones unit is cheap enough. Also they get free chainswords, so can get stuck in if they are needed.

Also, if you not bothered about overly competitive play, then Sky Claws come in squads of 15 + a Wolfguard pack leader now, so they would fit your theam of fast assault very nicely. And will be a good support unit for the Wulfen and jump pack characters.

If I'm playing fun games I like to throw in a unit of Landspeeders, they are expensive for what they are, but as fast, mobile gun platforms they would add to your theam too.

As for gunships, ours are good and can excel at anti armour, but they are bullet magnets, so tend to get blasted off the board pretty fast. If you can stack their native -1 to hit with the cloaked by the storm strat -1 to hit, then this helps. Just means keeping them near a Rune Priest.

Last but not least, if your going to buy and paint any new stuff, make sure you swing by the painting comp post pinned at the top of the forum (the outpost I think it's called), and add your work to the tally for Russ! (it's a volume comp, not a prettiest model comp, so don't be worried if you haven't got the best painting, it all counts.)

Edited by Yoyo ninja