Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Iron Warriors 750 point mini tournament

Iron Warriors Mini Tournament

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

TZ20

TZ20

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts
  • Faction: Chaos Space Marines

At the end of July, I am going to be attending a mini tournament at a local gaming store and as the title suggests, the points limit is 750 points. I'm at a debate at this point as I have two lists but built around either using the Patrol detachment, or the Battalion detachment. The list also focuses around the Shadowspear box set as it's the first models I have for the Iron Warriors army.

I'll post two lists and just wanted to get everyone's feedback on either, and whether you'd suggest running something different. 

Onto the lists.

Idea 1 (Patrol detachment)

HQ

Chaos Lord 100 points

Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer

Troops

Chaos Space Marine unit 1 160 points

Aspiring Champion and 9 Chaos Space Marines. Reaper Chaincannon, flamer and champion carries power maul and bolt pistol

Chaos Space Marine unit 2 161 points

Aspiring Champion and 9 Chaos Space Marines. Reaper Chaincannon, flamer and champion carries power axe and bolt pistol

Elites

Hellbrute 108 points

Plasma cannon and hellbrute fist with combi-bolter

Fast attack

Raptor squad 87 points

Raptor champion and 4 raptors. Champion has twin lightning claws

Heavy support

Venomcrawler 130 points

Total 746 points

Idea 2 (Battalion detachment)

HQ

Exalted Champion 82 points

Combi-flamer and power sword

Master of Possession 98 points

Troops

Chaos Space Marine squad 85 points

Aspiring champion and 4 Chaos Space Marines. Missile launcher, champion carries bolt pistol and chainsword

Chaos Space Marine squad 91 points

Aspiring champion and 4 Chaos Space Marines. Reaper Chaincannon, champion carries combi-bolter and power sword

Chaos Space Marine squad 81 points

Aspiring champion and 4 Chaos Space Marines. Autocannon, champion carries plasma pistol and chainaxe

Chaos Space Marine squad 94 points

Aspiring champion and 4 Chaos Space Marines. Missile Launcher, champion carries a power fist

Elites

Hellbrute 120 points

Twin-lascannon and missile launcher

Fast Attack

Raptor Squad 94 points

Raptor champion and 4 Raptors. 1 Meltagun and champion carries a power axe and bolt pistol

Total 745 points

And there are the two armies I have. I'm leaning more towards the second one as it's a mixture of both anti-infantry and anti-armour, but it all depends on what I go up against.

Slow painter, quick reader, many ideas but little time.

Hannibal

Hannibal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 150 posts

Hi,

my impressions:

1. Definetely go with a Battalion!

2. HQ choices: You can´t go wrong with a Chaos Lord for that reroll ones. Give him a Bolter of any kind to use the mortal wound stratagem on a 2-to-hit, rerolling ones character. 

If you´re heading towards a sorcerer, leave that Matser of Posession at home because you do not have that many units that can be supported by his spells. Instead I´d go with a sorcerer who is able to use Warptime, because that is one hell of a good power and can be used on Hellbrutes or Daemon Engines too! That can lead to some surprising moments...

3. Do not use more Marines than you´re forced to. 3 units of 5, nothing more. Champion´s equippment should compliment the special / heavy weapon loadout of the unit. For example: 5 Marines, heavy bolter, champ with combi bolter => max Dakka / low costs. 5 Marines, Plasmagun, Champ with Combi Plasma => good against elite infantry / light vehicles. 5 Marines, Lascannon, Champ with combibolter => las cannon fires at hard targets while all that light dakka fires at infantry.

conclusion:

I didn´t do the maths, but you should be able to run

Chaos Lord

Sorcer of any kind  OR   2nd Chaos Lord

3 units of 5 MArines, Champs with low equippment

Hellbrute

Venomcrawler

Raptors

• SanguinaryGuardsman likes this

SanguinaryGuardsman

SanguinaryGuardsman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 670 posts

Do what Hannibal says but also add a jump pack to any Chaos Lord you run that you intend to get stuck in.  

And the Master of Possession sucks.  Do not take him.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iron Warriors, Mini Tournament

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users