Titanicus and Epic scale comparison?

40k’s scale crept up from 28mm “heroic” (oversized heads and arms) to closer to 35mm but its scale has always been all over the map. A Landraider should be almost the size of a shoebox.

The problem is that old EPIC had no scale at all - titans were different from tanks from flyers from infantry, and even within these, for example xenos titans had a different scale than imperial ones. 

Old EPIC infantry still fits the new AT scale, as does Vanguard Miniatures stuff :)

The 6mm tanks and infantry look good enough beside the titans

However 6mm warlords are the size of modern warhounds

Edited by noigrim

This thread is actually wildly incorrect.

New AT is the same scale as old Epic, and has never been 8 mm (well, more like 1:267 when actually measured against given canonical heights, which gives our 1,8 meter scale human a ~6,5 mm height). The 8 mm thing was a marketing blunder from the WC team who took the designers' "marines would look cool at 8 mm if we were to do them" line and ran with it.

I have Epic figures and AT figures. The Epic infantry is perfectly in line with stuff like the smaller doors in the Civitas sets.

Edit: to clarify, the infantry is well in line, mosta tanks are in line and the old titans were mostly in 3-4 mm scale and not at all in line with even themselves.

Edited by Sherrypie

New AT is the same scale as old Epic, and has never been 8 mm (well, more like 1:267 when actually measured against given canonical heights, which gives our 1,8 meter scale human a ~6,5 mm height). The 8 mm thing was a marketing blunder from the WC team who took the designers' "marines would look cool at 8 mm if we were to do them" line and ran with it.

I have Epic figures and AT figures. The Epic infantry is perfectly in line with stuff like the smaller doors in the Civitas sets.

Edit: to clarify, the infantry is well in line, mosta tanks are in line and the old titans were mostly in 3-4 mm scale and not at all in line with even themselves.

Yup.

Whatever. GW said 8mm so that's what I go by. In any case, AT18 actually follows a scale throughout the system unlike AT88 and thank the dark gods for it. The old models are cool for nostalgia purposes but otherwise are way too out of scale for use with the current line.

For what it is worth, here are a couple of comparison pics I took right after I started assembling my first models.

Infantry models are from the Chaos detachment "Blood Reavers" iirc, they are a tad taller than the original Chaos Space Marines. They are shown against the back of the Warlord. Scale seems perfect to me.

gallery_116407_14938_155563.jpg

gallery_116407_14938_7268.jpg

A questoris knight vs 2 FW Warhounds, which are totally out of scale.

gallery_116407_14938_29955.jpg

A questoris knight vs a knight Paladin, a knight Crusader, a knight Lancer and a knight Castellan. Out of scale but less so than the titans.

gallery_116407_14938_19086.jpg

Edited by Mendi Warrior

I’ve got quite a bit of old epic stuff. It does seem to be roughly in scale with the new titans. Or at least the infantry seem to be – everything else is all over the place. The old epic didn't really have a scale as such.

Personally, I wouldn’t use old epic stuff for basing new AT stuff. The quality and detail of the minis is just so much better nowadays that I don’t think it would make my titans look better. So for example the old rhinos don’t really look much like the FW deimos rhinos from 30k, or the 40k one. And the infantry are sort of comically proportioned.

Each to their own of course. I’m not saying that it would spoil a model to have some of these guys running around on the base, and people have done some cool little dioramas at times. It’s just not for me.

I use an old epic Imperator titan as a warlord. And I use the old Knights as Knights with battle cannons all the time.

Here he is standing in the back.

33562733378_4f4f68c4e6_z.jpg

47929523192_c97cfc9f54_z.jpg

Edited by NiftyVT

There’s a post somewhere with all of the best available size data on everything from Rhinos to Thunderhawks if you really want to crunch the numbers but even within each game GW has never been consistent about scale. 

The old Epic was all over the place. Tanks were super tiny, infantry was between 6 and 7 mm. Titans were closer to 3mm scale.

GW stated they wanted to be more accurate this time with Space Marines being 8mm from bottom of feet to top of head. I guess truescale 6mm (a regular human is then 6mm) is the way to go here.

Using the specs from that thread which come from FW books and WD articles I mocked up Landraiders, Rhinos, and Thunderhawks to print at AT scale and nothing looked right compared to one another.  Either the Rhino or the Landraider are totally off because Rhinos cannot fit terminators while the Landraider can fit 5 with twice the firepower of a Predator but when you scale them next to one another their size isn't appreciably different. The Thunderhawk was way too stubby and drop pods are too small.  Even the art is off, there's a drawing from the old AT days were a Reaver looks like a skyscraper towering over buildings.

Dark Angels are now green because, IIRC, a Heavy Metal artist didn't read the description and just painted them green so they'd photograph better and the studio just rolled with it.

Yes yes epic didn't have a streamlined scale, but all those great ideas and concepts which we now love were created there...

Dark Angels are now green because, IIRC, a Heavy Metal artist didn't read the description and just painted them green so they'd photograph better and the studio just rolled with it.

The Death Guard also originally sported their Dusk Raider scheme. That's why I love the callback in the HH books to it, what a cool way to incorporate it into the history.