+++ The Hunt for the Fallen +++

Grotsmasha

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have the Terminator Characters in my vow done today, leaving the DW Land Raider Crusader to be finished.

Also, it took me a bit to find this thread. Perhaps it could be pinned like the other ETL threads? ;) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

well, sammael never served in the deathwing. He went from 8th company > ravenwing > inner circle/black knights > grand master. however, all masters are deathwing, so he might just be honorary deathwing, or deathwing just in title. 
black knights are inner circle, but they are not deathwing. 

Quick question about this contest.

Sammael (Corvex and Sableclaw) and Ravenwing Black Knights are members of Deathwing according to the fluff and have the Inner Circle rule.

Would they be valid submissions?

No, not in the context of this challenge

well, sammael never served in the deathwing. He went from 8th company > ravenwing > inner circle/black knights > grand master. however, all masters are deathwing, so he might just be honorary deathwing, or deathwing just in title. 

black knights are inner circle, but they are not deathwing. 

This is probably not the place for this... but I love a good fight over the fluff.

First off there is nothing honorary about Sammael's membership in the deathwing.  He is a company master, and all company master are selected from the Deathwing, period.  There are no exceptions to that rule.

Membership to Deathwing is not exclusive to the members assigned to the 1st company.  All Masters and above, all librarians, probably 1/3 of all of the Chaplains, the black knights, and a smattering of Veterans and Veteran sergeants spread throughout the chapter.

The older codexes laid this out a bit more clearly, as a series of smaller and smaller circles.  Azreal was thought to be in the smallest circle, knowing all of the secrets, but that passage always ends with the mention that the watchers in the dark have yet one more secret that not even Azreal knows about.  In those descriptions the Inner Circle is clearly within the Deathwing.  You could not be in the Inner Circle without also being part of the Deathwing.

Now all of this should just make you love Black Knights even more... They are members of Deathwing who are so badass that they are also the best the Ravenwing has to offer too.

Except sammaels whole career is laid out plainly.

He served in the 8th company for only a few years before moving to ravenwing. From there he was elevated to the bk. He recieved a battlefield promotion by gm gideon as master of the ravenwing after he had been mortally wounded. He was never chosen by the inner circle to be the gmr. He never served in dw. Gm gideons decision was respected and he was formally named the gmr after the war. He is an obvious and clear exception to the rule.

Black knights are not deathwing by default. They are elevated from the rw, not dw. After theyve proven themselves capable of passing all 7 rites of raven or something like that, they become bk and formally part of the inner circle. Im not saying a dw can't change company and become a rw, but thats not even close to the norm. When marines become aware of fallen or are selected to be elevated into the rw/dw, they are sent to their respective company based on their skills and personality. The daring go to rw, the methodical to dw, generally. The caliban trilogy covered this.

I am familiar with secret deathwing as well, the apothecary from angels of darkness is a good example.

Deathwing and inner circle are not the same. Bk are inner circle but not dw. The inner circle is not within dw, the dw is within the inner circle, just as the bk are within the inner circle. And when i say dw,i don't just mean the company.

Yeah I also used Zap kicker or something, CA accellerator. Nasty stuff but it works amazing well, spray it onto one side, superglue on the other, and it makes the superglue bond in seconds. Massive health warning tho, i do it outside and with mask.

I had that Deredeo already glued together but he suffered some damage on the table! I want to magnetise bits too now, so he is being reassembled before I start painting...SOON I HOPE otherwise that 1 September deadline is going to be tough!