Planning some small conversions

So, I was looking for some input on conversions. I'm planning to convert up a small 1000 point army, to get the feel of Sisters, plus I love converting over just buying models. The ideas I had for some sisters models were using space marines, with female heads from victoria miniatures, and the gothic backpacks from max mini, along with some painting and bits work to run them as heavier armored sisters. With how small SM are now, and the fact that the new Sisters plastics will probably be just as tall, I think it will work. My other option is using the same heads and backpacks on Sisters of silence models. The only issue with that is it much harder to convert their little hands to hold heavy weapons and such. What do you guys think?

All the space marine to sisters conversions I've seen have all looked like space marines (rather than sisters) - each set of models are just too distinctive, and IMHO it has more than just the tabards that create that look.  For me, the main problems would be the space marine torso and shoulder pads.

If you did want shoulder pads that are closer to the sisters in shape, some of the new chaos space marine pads might work.

Not 100%, but Dark Angel marines have robes or something over some of their armour don't they? If so, that could save some green stuffing; just head swap and pack swap as you said and use DA bodies.

Maybe if you're super good, you can file out the marine face from a cowl or two and replace a female head to have some cooled heads?

Go with the sisters of silence, the aesthetic is much closer. The rock Bolters and Flamers already and Converting their flamer to a melta should be super easy, and while the heavy weapons might be a tad more difficult, it will at least give you models that could be mixed in with the plastic sister and not look terribly out of place.

Decided on Sisters of Silence. I'm going to cruise shapeways for some fleurs to put on them, and I decided for the heavy weapons that I ordered a bunch of the Valkyrie door heavy bolters with the mounts. I'll build them as sentry turrets with the sisters behind them, then I don't need to mess with hands. The flamers look like they can be turned into plasma or melta relatively easily.

pppp....plasma? what herasy is this?

We do plasma pistols here in the righetous orders and thats it!

I believe you mean melta :p

Otherwise we do have very rare defunct Pla's'ma Pattern melta weapons. They were discontinued after they blew up too much and found not to have the same oomph as normal inferno or melta.

• 5 weeks later...

So, I was looking for some input on conversions. I'm planning to convert up a small 1000 point army, to get the feel of Sisters, plus I love converting over just buying models. The ideas I had for some sisters models were using space marines, with female heads from victoria miniatures, and the gothic backpacks from max mini, along with some painting and bits work to run them as heavier armored sisters. With how small SM are now, and the fact that the new Sisters plastics will probably be just as tall, I think it will work. My other option is using the same heads and backpacks on Sisters of silence models. The only issue with that is it much harder to convert their little hands to hold heavy weapons and such. What do you guys think?

I did this just for fun (not really for gaming), as I've always wanted some sci-fi marines in armor that just happened to be female (and weren't designed more for sex appeal than combat).  I bought a whole mess of stuff: Victoria Miniatures (Australia) provided heads, torsos, weapons, pouches, backpacks and other goodies.  Statuesque Miniatures (UK) provided heads only (very nice, although they're metal, if that puts you off, and the mid-sized heads were just about perfect, while the large were just a skosh too large to my eye -- email the guy at the site if you need help).  Anvil Industry (UK) provided lots of this and that, similar to Victoria Miniatures, but they also have ready-made capes that fit perfectly, which adds to differences from the guys and looks great (I've also used those on Space Marine captains and such many times).  I didn't try their different shoulder pads, which might have been useful for additional differences (I didn't want too much difference, actually).  Puppetswar (Poland) also has a very large collection of alternative shoulder pads and other high quality goodies designed to be used on models such as these.  There were a few other companies involved too, but that should more than get you going.  :-)  I kept my budget at around $150 to get a finished squad of five effectively armored lady troopers (including an officer and a special weapon troop), and I have LOTS of extra goodies for use on any other models, including other alternates from the companies mentioned, as well as similarly scaled models and pieces/parts from Grishnak Models (Russia), Artel W Miniatures (Russia), and others.  Aside from all the many pieces/parts, I added a rectangular "plate" of greenstuf across the empty upper chest area (either no eagle or shaved off) of the GW torsos, similar to the way Victoria Miniatures has the torsos of her lady troopers equipped, for a nod to realism and a little more difference between the guys and gals.  Any other questions, feel free to ask.  Good luck!  

Bubba: Pics please?  Love to see original conversions.

Sorry, Jack.  I haven't any.  I've never been much into photographing miniatures, and my hobby work area is in the process of being moved from my basement to my living room.  Everything, with the exception of a few paints and models (a few GW Orks and a few minis from Artel) on my Vallejo portable modeling tray, a separate small cutting pad covered in junk, and my office desk covered with PC, Klipsch 2.1 system satellites and tons of modeling this and that... everything is pretty much in a state of disaster just now.  Maybe one of these days.   Thanks for the interest. :-)