Question on Citadel Sprays vs Traditional Primer

Greetings brothers & sisters!

So I've been watching some of the new painting videos from GW, and I've noticed that they don't use a traditional primer on their miniatures. They apply the sprays directly to the plastic. 

Are the Citadel sprays actually a color primer? Or is it still better to use an actual primer before using a spray for your base coat?

I've always used a spray Primer (Krylon White) and then used the citadel sprays after that. Have I been misunderstanding how the Citadel sprays are actually supposed to work all this time? (It'd be nice if I could do one less spray coat!!)

Greetings brothers & sisters!

So I've been watching some of the new painting videos from GW, and I've noticed that they don't use a traditional primer on their miniatures. They apply the sprays directly to the plastic. 

Are the Citadel sprays actually a color primer? Or is it still better to use an actual primer before using a spray for your base coat?

I've always used a spray Primer (Krylon White) and then used the citadel sprays after that. Have I been misunderstanding how the Citadel sprays are actually supposed to work all this time? (It'd be nice if I could do one less spray coat!!)

This is gonna shock you, but apparently ALL GW paints have primer properties.

Having used the Caliban Green Spray, I can confirm that if it dries and cures, it acts like a primer, as I had my Dark Imperium models primed/undercoated in that, changed my Dark Angels scheme and had them sitting in Mean Green + Isopropyl Alcohol for a WEEK and the Caliban Green spray wouldn't come off, much like my usual primer.

But yes, you can use the Citadel Colour sprays instead of a primer entirely.

Citadel sprays have always been counted as primer, it's just earlier versions of it weren't very good at it so it was recommended to use a better primer and then spray with the appropriate colour.

With the exception of corax white, which is still fairly rubbish, the rest are decent primers in their own right these days, if pricey. Wraithbone and seer grey should be quite a bit better than corax for light coloured minis, but we'll see when they get released.

Edited by Arkhanist

Thanks for the input! I had no idea that they were/could be used as a primer. :blush.:

This will make things a bit better/cleaner for me going forward with only one coat of spray instead of two. :tu:

I've used the Mephiston Red spray and agree with the suggestion of using another primer first. It doesn't go on quite as even as the black. It's more noticeable in large flat surfaces, which is actually what is hoped the colored spray would help with. I did get the can a couple years ago so maybe they've improved the formula since. I've used Army Painter metal primer and that is actually a primer so the GW probably is as well.