Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Redemption's Hobby Blog - Nids, BA, GK, Saim-Hann, AdMech

Tyranids Blood Angels Adeptus Mechanicus Grey Knights Saim-Hann Eldar Xana II Terrain Forge World 3D Printing

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
As if the Thunderhawk isn't already claiming all of my hobby time, now the 3d printer I got from a Kickstarter last year suddenly turned up on my doorstep!

bPFPB37.png?1
Corgi for scale.

It's a Phrozen Transform, a huge resin printer I hope to make some interesting stuff with in the future. First thing I'll try once I get it up and running is a base for my Knight in a theme that matches the Sector Mechanicus the rest of the AdMech is on.

Have fun thumbsup.gif

and dry fit.....everything.....

Oh yeah, I have some experience with FW models already. Thankfully the model is still a relatively new mould, so there's not too much warping going on. The only major thing I found so far was the interior bulk head that was a little bit too big, but nothing a razor saw couldn't fix.

But I'm mostly still removing the injection blocks and sanding things down; it's already taking me hours because this thing has over 200 parts!

Just wow, all of it looks fantastic! well done.

Thanks!

Inquisitor lorr

Inquisitor lorr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 42 posts
I love the red you’ve gone for on the Blood Angels! Very gritty.

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts
Got everything unpacked and assembled. This thing is a beast!

DdjDTx8.png?1
xi892ev.png?1

I always wanted to get into 3D printing, but wanted to wait for a printer that could print high quality prints without having thick layer lines, had a large enough volume to tackle larger projects but was still affordable enough. This turned out to be the Phrozen Transform: it has a build volume of 29.2 x 16.5 x 40 cm.

Ordered the stuff to postprocess prints - like isopropanol to clean the prints - which should arrive soon, and then I can do my first test print!

I love the red you’ve gone for on the Blood Angels! Very gritty.

Thanks!

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts
Had some time to play with the 3d printer over the weekend, and managed to get some results:

KjX25hq.png?1

I wanted to print a base for my Knight, so I found one on Thingyverse that matched the basing theme of my AdMech. It's far from perfect yet, but that's mostly because I didn't notice the errors in the model before I started printing: the tiles are misaligned in the model, and the aquila is not attached to the base which cause it to bend because it's so thin.

And I also need to get the hang of post-processing and maybe get a UV curing box. But a valuable lesson and a step forwards certainly. I'll make my own model to ensure everything is attached probably and give it another go.
  • Majkhel likes this

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,218 posts

Oh my! Now you're gone :D

I myself am fighting off temptations that 3D printing is presenting. Not an easy thing.

I really like your Ad-Mech color scheme.

Also, how are you making battle damage and chipping on the red plate?

Good luck with the Thunderhawk :)

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"
gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_9630.jpggallery_62972_14467_3723.jpggallery_48988_15465_18311.png gallery_105306_14812_7522.png gallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_4261.gifgallery_105306_14812_1229.gif

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts
Thanks! With my airbrush I prime them Vallejo German Panzer Grey, then Vallejo Burnt Umber and a few thin coats of Vallejo Fire Red sprayed as a zenithal highlight. After that I line the recesses and inner edges with GW Nuln Oil. Then I apply chipping of GW Rhinox Hide followed by GW Leadbelcher with a sponge to act as both weathering and an edge highlight.
  • Majkhel likes this

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts
Meanwhile, I did some work on the Thunderhawk. After many hours of sawing, snipping, filing and sanding I managed to release all the parts from their injection ports.

RPeoBmT.png?1

Baal Predator for scale. Seriously, there's enough resin in that alone to make a few tanks. biggrin.png

cdvS80q.png?1

And managed to glue everything (and on occasion my fingers) together. The front top half is still unglued so I can paint the interior, so things like the dorsal cannon, the tail and the attack wings are also still separate. After I've done the interior everything can be glued together and I can start filling in the gaps.
  • Grotsmasha and Majkhel like this

Mostwanted

Mostwanted

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 190 posts

Meanwhile, I did some work on the Thunderhawk. After many hours of sawing, snipping, filing and sanding I managed to release all the parts from their injection ports.

RPeoBmT.png?1

Baal Predator for scale. Seriously, there's enough resin in that alone to make a few tanks. biggrin.png

cdvS80q.png?1

And managed to glue everything (and on occasion my fingers) together. The front top half is still unglued so I can paint the interior, so things like the dorsal cannon, the tail and the attack wings are also still separate. After I've done the interior everything can be glued together and I can start filling in the gaps.

Where do you work? I need a job there if you get brought Forgeworld goodies! 😂 I brought a Thunderhawk about 6 weeks ago and wanted to use the Blood Angels Landraider doors on it but they don't fit even though they are supposed to. The doors are 2mm too big for the kit which is frustrating.
Are you going to be doing a base for it?Definitely going to be following your progress on your projects. Everything looks great so far.
  • RedemptionNL likes this

Custom Hero

Custom Hero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 453 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Lydda
Those injection ports would make some awesome tank traps....
  • Bjorn Firewalker likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,051 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves

Good idea! The Imperium needs such resourcefulness.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts

Where do you work? I need a job there if you get brought Forgeworld goodies! 😂

I'm a software engineer for a company called QuandaGo, you're welcome to join if you move across the pond. The company could use more 40k enthusiasts! biggrin.png
And it was indeed a very awesome anniversary gift! Other colleagues got things like an overnight stay at a hotel, a nice dinner and tickets to an event for their 10 year anniversaries, but when they contacted my wife to find out what I'd like, she knew the way to my heart was not through my stomach, but by feeding my plastic crack addiction. biggrin.png  You know what they say, a nice dinner is temporary, but a Thunderhawk is forever!

I brought a Thunderhawk about 6 weeks ago and wanted to use the Blood Angels Landraider doors on it but they don't fit even though they are supposed to. The doors are 2mm too big for the kit which is frustrating.

Congratulations on getting one too! I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for progress on yours! I think you want the Rhino-sized doors for the Thunderhawk (or the models based on the Stormraven) though, Land Raider ones are indeed larger.

Are you going to be doing a base for it?Definitely going to be following your progress on your projects. Everything looks great so far.

Nah, I'm just going to leave it on its landing gear. I'm unlikely to use it in a game as I don't play apocalypse, and because it's so heavy (seriously, it's over 2 kilo of resin!) I'd be very worried about it tipping over and shattering.

So it'll mostly just be a display piece, with the occasional use as scenery. I ordered the Mars Pattern Imperialis Landing Pad tile for my table so it has somewhere pretty to sit. smile.png

Indeed they do, and that's exactly what I did for the base of my Deredeo Dreadnought:
Spoiler

Took some inject ports, added bullet holes by making drilling holes in them and then scoring them with a hobby knife. The Aquilas are from the Drop Pod kit.

viewasjack

viewasjack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists

Apologies if you've posted it before, but do you have a recipe for your deep red for your BA's? It's fantastic and just how I imagine them to look!

gallery_45765_12339_49118.png49052046522_1a3e39f3d8_n.jpg

Instagram - viewasjack

Crimson Fists 4th Company - "The Crimson Lancers" - WIP

"There is only the Emperor, he is our shield and protector!"

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,571 posts

Apologies if you've posted it before, but do you have a recipe for your deep red for your BA's? It's fantastic and just how I imagine them to look!

Thanks! I actually posted it on this page:

With my airbrush I prime them Vallejo German Panzer Grey, then Vallejo Burnt Umber and a few thin coats of Vallejo Fire Red sprayed as a zenithal highlight. After that I line the recesses and inner edges with GW Nuln Oil. Then I apply chipping of GW Rhinox Hide followed by GW Leadbelcher with a sponge to act as both weathering and an edge highlight.

• viewasjack and ranulf the revenant like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyranids, Blood Angels, Adeptus Mechanicus, Grey Knights, Saim-Hann, Eldar, Xana II, Terrain, Forge World, 3D Printing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users