As if the Thunderhawk isn't already claiming all of my hobby time, now the 3d printer I got from a Kickstarter last year suddenly turned up on my doorstep!

bPFPB37.png?1

Corgi for scale.

It's a Phrozen Transform, a huge resin printer I hope to make some interesting stuff with in the future. First thing I'll try once I get it up and running is a base for my Knight in a theme that matches the Sector Mechanicus the rest of the AdMech is on.

Have fun :thumbsup:

and dry fit.....everything.....

Oh yeah, I have some experience with FW models already. Thankfully the model is still a relatively new mould, so there's not too much warping going on. The only major thing I found so far was the interior bulk head that was a little bit too big, but nothing a razor saw couldn't fix.

But I'm mostly still removing the injection blocks and sanding things down; it's already taking me hours because this thing has over 200 parts!

Just wow, all of it looks fantastic! well done.

Thanks!

Got everything unpacked and assembled. This thing is a beast!

DdjDTx8.png?1

xi892ev.png?1

I always wanted to get into 3D printing, but wanted to wait for a printer that could print high quality prints without having thick layer lines, had a large enough volume to tackle larger projects but was still affordable enough. This turned out to be the Phrozen Transform: it has a build volume of 29.2 x 16.5 x 40 cm.

Ordered the stuff to postprocess prints - like isopropanol to clean the prints - which should arrive soon, and then I can do my first test print!

I love the red you’ve gone for on the Blood Angels! Very gritty.

Thanks!

Had some time to play with the 3d printer over the weekend, and managed to get some results:

KjX25hq.png?1

I wanted to print a base for my Knight, so I found one on Thingyverse that matched the basing theme of my AdMech. It's far from perfect yet, but that's mostly because I didn't notice the errors in the model before I started printing: the tiles are misaligned in the model, and the aquila is not attached to the base which cause it to bend because it's so thin.

And I also need to get the hang of post-processing and maybe get a UV curing box. But a valuable lesson and a step forwards certainly. I'll make my own model to ensure everything is attached probably and give it another go.

Oh my! Now you're gone :D

I myself am fighting off temptations that 3D printing is presenting. Not an easy thing.

I really like your Ad-Mech color scheme.

Also, how are you making battle damage and chipping on the red plate?

Good luck with the Thunderhawk :)

Thanks! With my airbrush I prime them Vallejo German Panzer Grey, then Vallejo Burnt Umber and a few thin coats of Vallejo Fire Red sprayed as a zenithal highlight. After that I line the recesses and inner edges with GW Nuln Oil. Then I apply chipping of GW Rhinox Hide followed by GW Leadbelcher with a sponge to act as both weathering and an edge highlight.

Meanwhile, I did some work on the Thunderhawk. After many hours of sawing, snipping, filing and sanding I managed to release all the parts from their injection ports.

RPeoBmT.png?1

Baal Predator for scale. Seriously, there's enough resin in that alone to make a few tanks. :biggrin.:

cdvS80q.png?1

And managed to glue everything (and on occasion my fingers) together. The front top half is still unglued so I can paint the interior, so things like the dorsal cannon, the tail and the attack wings are also still separate. After I've done the interior everything can be glued together and I can start filling in the gaps.

Meanwhile, I did some work on the Thunderhawk. After many hours of sawing, snipping, filing and sanding I managed to release all the parts from their injection ports.

RPeoBmT.png?1

Baal Predator for scale. Seriously, there's enough resin in that alone to make a few tanks. :biggrin.:

cdvS80q.png?1

And managed to glue everything (and on occasion my fingers) together. The front top half is still unglued so I can paint the interior, so things like the dorsal cannon, the tail and the attack wings are also still separate. After I've done the interior everything can be glued together and I can start filling in the gaps.

Where do you work? I need a job there if you get brought Forgeworld goodies!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if you've posted it before, but do you have a recipe for your deep red for your BA's? It's fantastic and just how I imagine them to look!

Thanks! I actually posted it on this page:

With my airbrush I prime them Vallejo German Panzer Grey, then Vallejo Burnt Umber and a few thin coats of Vallejo Fire Red sprayed as a zenithal highlight. After that I line the recesses and inner edges with GW Nuln Oil. Then I apply chipping of GW Rhinox Hide followed by GW Leadbelcher with a sponge to act as both weathering and an edge highlight.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks. Yeah real life got in the way with various stuff (like a certain pandemic) and I've been going through a burnout, so the hobby has been in hiatus. And the people I played with either stopped playing or I lost contact with, so I haven't been able to get any games in either.

But I've bought a new house in Tilburg NL where I'm moving early next year, and the hobby itch is getting stronger again after the GK got updated, so I might just look into painting up more of my pile of shame and finding some new people to play with over there.

But first I have to sell the current house so I can't make too much of a mess. The photographer for the ad came by last week, so I do have some pictures of the hobby room. In retrospect I should have asked him to take a couple more, as these are obviously meant to sell the house and not showcase the 40k stuff.

rO6Kt3K.jpg

DYlEYYN.jpg

• 2 years later...

Back from the dead! 40k got put on the back burner for a while as life got in the way, but 10th edition sparked new interest, especially in continueing my first army: the Tyranids. I got the Leviathan box, but there were still a few models on my backlog I wanted to clear first:

Wanted to emulate my original style I started 15 years ago, but use the new contrast paints to make life a bit easier. After a few Termagant test models I think I got it where I'm happy.

First up, a Tyrannofex with Acid Spray:

r7dkVF3.jpg

wmkrel0.jpg

Also the first time I tried UHU glue for some special effects:

8tknTxk.jpg

ZqerLNZ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Finished up a Maleceptor. It's large bulbous head proved a little challenging to get right with my color scheme, but I think it turned out nice. What do you think?
h3fmuX0.jpg
xgouKxH.jpg
HkExaG3.jpg

Mandatory dead Ultramarine. Also having more fun with UHU glue:
Kv5E1hq.jpg
yS2b9rc.jpg

• 2 months later...

Rounded up the last of the Tyranid's named characters, Old One Eye:
gfQDxf1.jpg

But of couse Old One Eye wouldn't be complete without a Carnifex bodyguard!
mxo8ax7.jpg

One is simply my old magnetized Fex where I painted up a new head, carapace and arms. Hence the color difference between torso and arms.
dPtsfyn.jpg

While the second Fex is a totally new one. I didn't bother magnetizing this one so I just gave it a somewhat generic load-out:
93dqtGn.jpg

And I also completed a squad or Warriors with ranged weapons. 2 with deathspitters, 2 with venom cannons and 2 with barbed strangles. This is a combination of the old 4E kit I still had lying around and the current one.Sadly the Tyranid Prime now does nothing so he's generally the first one to die to preserve the special weapon carriers.
ZeS5dey.jpg

And managed to get my first real 10E game in! After moving to another city, I joined up with the FLGS here. Fun to meet new people! I played a rather casual 'Nid list against Imperial Knights and was pretty much tabled by turn 4, but it was fun nonetheless!
c06FYzV.jpg