What is with bolt pistols?

The scale of some guns is hilarious. I've got a combi-melta which is bigger then the marines torso and legs

Nothing in 40k is in 'scale', remember that young padawan, and all your misgivings will go away

No lore reason, it's just consequence of a generla scale problem or rather lackof "internal" scale in marines models (any). I wouldn't look much into it and would never try to justify it because it cannot be justifed. Besides, bolt pistols on models are just ridiculously gigantic - as long as marines thigh and almost as wide :rolleyes: Generally marine models are one of the worst designs ever when it comes to proportions and weapon size. Primaris too unfortunately. Pity that GW with all their resources just won't do astartes justice.

It's in heroic scale -- when someone's using a weapon, it's supposed to be big and intimidating and a focus. When it's sheathed, it's not the focus, so it doesn't get exaggerated.

Indeed. I once painted a model of a real-life tank. The machine gun on the turret that I know to be big, powerful and utterly devastating looked pitifully insignificant compared to the bulk of the tank.

That being said, I generally feel that Citadel Models look better with a bit more realistic proportions.

There is no issues with the holstered pistols on the Mk III kit. The mag is accounted for by the holster it looks right.

The Mk III sprue has holstered bolt pistols with and without magazines which would seem to imply that most holstered bolt pistols aren't loaded.

P4yITpV.png?2

Or they might have lower capacity magazines?

I've always assumed they just don't carry loaded side arms with them. Given the relative "vigor" with which marines move (smashing through cover, walls, bounding across gaps), I just run with the idea that they don't bother to load their weapons until they are in their hands, as accidental discharges could be problematic for them. I know something as simple as a safety on their firearm could solve that (and bolters/bolt pistols do have them in fluff), maybe they have weapons discipline so drilled into their heads that they want zero possibility of an accident. Just guessing/trying to fluff justify why they wouldn't carry their sidearms loaded.

The fluff also has them maglocking stuff onto their armour instead of holstering them, so it's neither really here nor there I guess.

I've always assumed they just don't carry loaded side arms with them. Given the relative "vigor" with which marines move (smashing through cover, walls, bounding across gaps), I just run with the idea that they don't bother to load their weapons until they are in their hands, as accidental discharges could be problematic for them. I know something as simple as a safety on their firearm could solve that (and bolters/bolt pistols do have them in fluff), maybe they have weapons discipline so drilled into their heads that they want zero possibility of an accident. Just guessing/trying to fluff justify why they wouldn't carry their sidearms loaded.

The fluff also has them maglocking stuff onto their armour instead of holstering them, so it's neither really here nor there I guess.

So then you can just take a loose weapon and glue it onto a Space Marine's armor and it's entirely fluff-valid?

So then you can just take a loose weapon and glue it onto a Space Marine's armor and it's entirely fluff-valid?

Pretty much.

Yep, dig out all those really old bolt pistols with the attached grips!

Yeah I've been doing that since forever lol

Regarding the mag locking, that was why I loved the Halo 5 "Hunt the Truth" trailers (damn 343i forever for teasing John-117 Heresy and not delivering).

I still want to do a inspired version of that with Shadowsun and Farsight.

I've never done a diorama before, but there are two I feel I got to do.

Edited by Trevak Dal