Why do you venerate the Chaos God you worship?

Why, Tzeentch followers, do you worship the God of Change and Lies?

Why, Nurglites, do you worship the embodiment of death and decay?

Why, Khornates, do you worship the god of blood and destruction?

Why, Slaaneshi, do you worship the god(dess) of hedonism?

Why, Undivided, do you worship them as a pantheon, or as a gestalt?

My warband, the Ourobori, worships an entity that calls itself Ophion. It is a god of Chaos Undivided, the Great Serpent, and possesses some small shards of the power of the Big Four but claims no suzerainty over them. If the Four are steps in the cycle of existence, then Ophion is the links between them. It does not play the Great Game; it arbitrates it.

When we are born, we are filled with infinite potential. As we grow into our childhood, we evolve at a rapacious rate. In our adolescence, we crave life and seek to find ourselves and our passions. As adults, we face struggles; whether our war is with an external foe or within ourselves, the fight is inevitable. At the end, we die and decay, some part of ourselves breaking down into the environment until it is drawn into new life and the cycle begins anew.

Ophion is that cycle.

Since 2012, we lost my Father (august 2012)to sepsis due to 27 failed hernia repair surgeries over a 10 month period. He never left ICU.

two aunts were diagnosed with the same cancer, one died in 2013, the other is in remission, lost a cousin to heart disease, another to suicide, a third to car crash. Lost an uncle to natural causes (was 90).

in 2015 I ended up with Shingles, which developed into Bell's Palsy. I lost the use of the left side of my face for 11 months. I regained its use, but its left me with permanent nerve damage to my left eye, face, and ear.

I spent 5 days in ICU with pneumonia in 2016. Several days after I'd been released, I ended up with pink eye from the same bacteria that had given me pneumonia.

Christmas 2017, my mother was diagnosed with uterine cancer. She had to have a pacemaker installed before they would remove the cancer. That didnt resolved until May 2018.

This year, another aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had surgery, but they still found that it has spread elsewhere... Her health is declining.

August 2018 I tore the meniscus in my right knee. No one seems to want to give me pain meds, so... moving is difficult.

Earlier this year, they found a dark spot on my sisters right lung. They are still trying to figure out what it is. It shows up as a shadow on an x-ray (two different x-ray machines at 2 differing hospitals), but doesnt show up on a CT scan.

I started a Death Guard army around Christmas 2017. It is to honor my fathers passing, and the hardship sickness I've had to deal with since.

My day is job is owning and operating a glass blowing studio.  Everything with glass has to be perfect... temperature, timing, assistants, air flow, annealing, etc... or it doesn't work.  So in a lot of ways, Slaanesh is the perfect fit for me.

Edited by 40kChris

There are two major reasons I play Thousand Sons: the facets of Tzeentch of Knowledge and Fate. With respect to Knowledge, I am a grad student studying mathematics, and so I get to spend most of my time chasing knowledge and learning perpetually. Also, I suppose ambition is a motivator for pursuing my PhD. On Fate, I think Tzeentch provides an interesting lens through which to view and better understand religious concepts like divine omnipotence, morality from the divine and human perspectives, determinism, and free will that are of major interest in the theology of my IRL church. Also, the Thousand Sons seem (to me) to have a major theme about death, the afterlife, and eternal life, as they're a legion of undying automata, which also captures my interest. (The observant and knowledgeable may notice the use of "Senet" in my username--my self-insert warlord's name--and recognize that ancient game's connections to the Egyptian understanding of the afterlife.)

In addition, I've been painting up a side Death Guard army, largely because I can sympathize with the stubbornness they represent. 

Nurgle has always been fascinating to me. In some ways, he acts as the most benevolent of the Chaos gods. He isn't fickle, he has a sense of (admittedly morbid) humor, and there is just something cute about a nurgling. I also like the Death Guard, and their general lack of hubris compared to other legions (looking at you, Tzeentch followers :D ). Also, from a model point of view, the bloated stomachs, WWI style masks and the like, are just great fun to paint, to grime up, and it's really relaxing for me to paint them. They also respond well to inks, glazes, washes, and general weathering.

I am now tempted to finally type out the "Treatise on the Chaos Gods" I have been thinking about for a while...

Edited by Darnok

We used to be just 4 people in our 40k group. We decided each of us starts a chaos god dedicated army. Nurgle and Tzeentch got insta picked and the third strongly favoured Khorne or Nurgle. Only Slaanesh nobody wanted. Honestly I was more interested in Nurgle in general or TSons but I thought "eh, Noise Marines are awesome so why not". Give it time to set in and me reading more about Slaanesh it's now my favourite god. It just fits me the best (obviously to a more or less reasonable degree), I like the models and even if he's not Slaanesh dedicated Fabius used to be part of the Emperor's Children and he's one of my absolute favourite characters in 40k. ^^

To be short and inoffensive, I serve Khorne because he encourages me to revel in the anger that I have to repress and compartmentalize to function in our brave new society.

This but with Slaanesh, kinda fits my lifestyle choices. 

Wow... lots going on in this thread! Thanks @OP, and all of you!

KILL MAIM BURN KILL MAIM BURN KILLMAIMBURN! KILLMAIMBURNKILLMAIMBURNKILLMAIMBURNKILLMAIMBURNKILLMAIMBURNKILLMAIMBURN

[Translation Suggested: Servo-cogitator Duncan 428791 // M41.985331]:

Having worked my way through painting armies of Eldar, Salamanders, a DIY Chapter, and then Dark Eldar, the seed of Chaos was first planted in my soul when I saw someone either on here, or in the GW Studio (?) go back and do the Heresy white for the World Eaters. I guess that would have been a few editions of the game ago, anyway... before it was even clear that the Heresy was gonna hit FW in a big way.

It took a couple of years, but eventually I decided that my DIY Chapter would fall to Chaos, and specifically Khorne. At a certain point, it all just clicked and I learned to give up the well-laid schemes of the Eldar, or the plodding calculus of the Salamanders. Angron had it right: Straight Up The Middle.

Khorne wins every battle.

Khorne is a dark God.

Khorne is the future.

Khorne is 40k.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Why, Tzeentch followers, do you worship the God of Change and Lies?

Lies? Such a crude, inaccurate description of the elegance that bleeds from the Weaver of Fates. It is deception, manipulation, and misdirection. These are the bladeless weapons that will win you all wars, including the Great War. You wield them and with every cut of their falsehoods, you guide your enemy down their path of Fate, unknowingly towards a doom that you have written. The duplicitous nature of your actions leaves the fools unprepared as the snare tightens around them and their destiny unfolds. 

To follow Tzeentch is to long for control: control of others, control of yourself, and control over Fate. Through guile and tactics you assert your control over the situation. It may take moments, it may take millennia, but that power of control will be yours. But when that moment comes, and you can step back, look at your work with a smile, and all has gone Just As Planned™, there are truly fewer things more satisfying than that moment. 

Because one needs to understand that to master chaos is to master the self, each of the Lords of Misrule is a reflection of an aspect of humanity, nay of life itself. From the virulent spread of life across the stars paying homage to the Grandfather, to the primal rage of the injured and the slighted igniting the passions of the Blood God. The curiosity and the desire to learn sustaining the webs of the Changer and the pride and selfishness of humanity titillating the Dark Prince. Chaos is life, at some stage all living things give turn to each of the gods, even if they do so in the name of one of the others. So teaches blessed Lorgar, such is the Truth of his Word.

I follow the old ways...

Khorne as a deity of honour and bravery, Tzeentch as a deity of knowledge and hope, Nurgle as a deity of life and renewal, and Slaanesh as a deity of passion and enjoyment.

All the positive aspects of a fulfilling life, paise be the empyreal gods!

I follow the old ways...

Khorne as a deity of honour and bravery, Tzeentch as a deity of knowledge and hope, Nurgle as a deity of life and renewal, and Slaanesh as a deity of passion and enjoyment.

All the positive aspects of a fulfilling life, paise be the empyreal gods!

Very good, these are the rewards to the truly faithful who overcome the challenges of the Dark Gods negative aspects. In many of the books most servants are depicted as raving madmen, but every once in a while you see the glimpses of the champions who have mastered the associated traits. Off the top of my head any of the Nurgle Lords who prefer to write or toil in their gardens in between raids.

I mostly play Deathguard, but dabble with Thousand Sons on occasion for the change of pace (literally), dedication to planning, then get frustrated with the fickleness of the dice gods for that army haha.

Sometimes I Iron Warrior, but they just seem so fractured it is hard to really pin down what they do other than grind at life.

I play CU and do not worship chaos. In 40k chaos is a fact and exists. The emperor's fatal mistake was to hide the knowledge of chaos, leaving his sons vulnerable to it. Humans must acknowledge chaos, confront it, learn to resist it and use it as much as necessary, no more. It is a source of power that must be faced and controlled, attempts to act as if it doesn't exist is what destroyed the emperor's dream.

I serve Tzeentch by opposing all the schemes of Chaos.

Even the schemes of Tzeentch

The great game must never end, never stagnant.

The goal is not victory, but a never ending circle of change.

I serve because you cannot go back, you cannot stand still, you can only go forward.

I live because the me of yesterday did. I live because I changed

To be short and inoffensive, I serve Khorne because he encourages me to revel in the anger that I have to repress and compartmentalize to function in our brave new society.

Name, avatar and sig checks out. 

I follow slaanesh because I like purple.

This.

Plus having an army painted pastel pink and baby blue (along with other colours and animal prints) never gets boring. Or taken seriously. :D

• 2 weeks later...