Easy ways to paint red cloth

So returning to chaos after my exams, and I found this "speed painting" tutorial by Duncan from GW. I love how it gives a very monotone look to Iron Warriors and I plan to base it all in like a desert so I can use dust and dirt pigments and such for weathering.

My only wonder is how can I paint cloaks and such in a red-ish/brown colour so it somewhat matches how I'm doing the rest of the model. I just don't want it to be so bright it detracts from the rest of the model, but I want it to fit in.

My question also comes on the heels of GW releasing the contrast paints so I'm wondering if just doing a layer of a dark red contrast will be all that it would need?

Any help would be appreciated! :) 

Video of our Lord and Saviour's tutorial in question:

What I've done for low chroma reds (deep/dark reds) is to start with a red brown (rhinox hide would be a great start for this), and use thin layers of a dark red (look for something brick red) to build it up, then wash it with agrax earthshade. It takes a while to do, but you get a very deep red that isn't eye poppingly red, but isn't a dark crimson either. It's very earthy looking.