Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Funniest old 40k model?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

What's the funniest model from old 40k? Before the near-complete changeover from Finecast to plastic, there were some funny sculpts out there. I'm looking into picking up the slightly derptastic previous sculpts for Plague Marines (I have a friend who's got some lying around) to flesh out my army, but what's the funniest older 40k sculpt y'all can think of? Weird proportions, funny design decisions, weird posing, etc.

= All our ignorances bring us closer to annihilation. =                         = Revere the Omnissiah, for it is the source of all power. =

My first real conversion, the ruinous Lord Rotpurge.                           Project: Steel of Ages, led by Fabricator-General Zephaniah Adriyen.

My Death Guard Warband, the list Lord Rotpurge is a part of.            The home system of the Crimson Knights.

My Astartes list, the Crimson Knights.                                                  "On Lord Leviathan, Fallen Knight of Ragnarus" - Zephaniah Adriyen

Azaiel

Azaiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 245 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch

The older metal Chaplain Lemartes model was quite derpy.

(the current one in finecast is on the other hand one of the coolest)

• Morticon, Mostwanted and Karhedron like this

Darnok

Darnok

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 762 posts
  • Faction: CSM, Daemons

"Funny" as in "comically bad"? My first vote would go to the older metal Possessed:

Black_Legion_Possessed_Marines.gif

Just atricious sculpts, but so bad that they are funny again.

Also, Captain Cortez, just hilariously horrible:

Cortez001.jpg

If we are talking just "funny funny", I think the Chaos Toilet has to take the crown:

le17ChaosToiletf-01.jpg

laugh.png

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,270 posts
  • Faction: Age of Darkness Ultramarines
I mean Abaddon was pretty funny...but only as it was a joke how long we had the sculpt for....

Original Bloodletters Win for me!

BCC
Bolter & Chainsword forum rules:
http://www.bolterand...18-forum-rules/
Bolter & Chainsword posting 101 guide:
http://www.bolterand...chainsword-101/

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,430 posts
  • Faction: The Raven Order, Deathskulls

The older metal Chaplain Lemartes model was quite derpy.

(the current one in finecast is on the other hand one of the coolest)

+1 to wind tunnel Lemartes. There's some derpy ones out there but this is one that was just terrible conceptually.

Edited by FlamingDeth, 06 June 2019 - 07:57 AM.

Formerly known as CardinalVirtue

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,013 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Cortez is awful, but I kind of like the metal possessed and would pick them up if they were cheap on ebay. Its only really the two claws and horns guy whose really bad and that's because his pose is boring despite the cool talons bursting out of his breastplate that presage the details on the Dark Vengeance chosen and later kits. The rest of them are just characterful, sure they're wacky and goblin-like but whose to say that's a mistaken take on the concept. The wild hair one and the chain axe and bare torso guy are great dynamic poses for the era, the champion is kind of dull but alright and the chain-axe in the air guy with the bare leg is just kind of iffy probably due to his pose stretching the molding limitations that led to these old figures generally being un-dynamic.

The plastic possessed also have stupid cartoony faces, just with low molding quality and little charm.

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,820 posts

If  you are talking bad models....

99800103023_MadDokGrotsnik01.jpg

His power claw doesn't look intimidating, his arms are posed weird, he just looks crude and not in a fun, Orky way.

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

DBadger

DBadger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 241 posts

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but I always laugh when I see tis one.

marneus-calgar-curis.jpg

https://www.ninjabre...marneus-calgar/

• Magos Takatus, Stoic Raptor, Brother Lunkhead and 3 others like this

CMDR_Welles

CMDR_Welles

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

If we are talking just "funny funny", I think the Chaos Toilet has to take the crown:

le17ChaosToiletf-01.jpg

laugh.png

Crown? More like Throne msn-wink.gif
  • Kierdale and Lord Raven 19 like this

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

the original craftworld avatar model... its smaller than modern aspect warriors!

Trench

Trench

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Despite being a massive fanboy for 2nd edition era models, for me it would be much of the Tyranid range from that time.

Guilty secret though, I have a pack of those 5 metal CSM Possessed, still like them and hope to use them in a project one day. 

• Lynnean likes this

Tichinde

Tichinde

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 346 posts
  • Faction: Thousand Sons

some of the old metal (2nd ed era) greater daemons were pretty funny.....

Tyriks

Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,929 posts
I have to agree with Calgar on the toilet.
  • Kierdale, DBadger and Lord Raven 19 like this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,290 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

Reaper Primaris Chaplain with Mega Heavy Bolt Pistol

• No Foes Remain, D3L and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,374 posts
The 3rd edition Eldar Aspect warriors had some bad sculpts that were not a patch on the Jes Goodwin originals they replaced. The wooden spoon award probably has to go to the Striking Bunny Wabbits Scorpions. tongue.png

gw-99060104076-0.jpg
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

I kinda like those, though. Eldar are hard to screw up in my eyes.

= All our ignorances bring us closer to annihilation. =                         = Revere the Omnissiah, for it is the source of all power. =

My first real conversion, the ruinous Lord Rotpurge.                           Project: Steel of Ages, led by Fabricator-General Zephaniah Adriyen.

My Death Guard Warband, the list Lord Rotpurge is a part of.            The home system of the Crimson Knights.

My Astartes list, the Crimson Knights.                                                  "On Lord Leviathan, Fallen Knight of Ragnarus" - Zephaniah Adriyen

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 910 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

Oh boy I could wax lyrical about this- in fact, I will do!

The old "bovine" head for the 3rd edition Keeper of Secrets always looked a bit silly to me. The model in general has somewhat grown on me, especially with the 6-horned/tentacled "starfish head" but the ol' Chaos Cow head took an already "teetering on the brink between charming and doofy" model and sent it firmly into doofy. I think part of that was the mildly confused expression, like the Keeper was going "Moo?".

The pre-3rd edition Bloodletters were always a bit derpy and some of the few old Chaos models I really didn't like much, though I do find the design concepts good (and the plastic Bloodletters IMO capture the look perfectly).

The 3rd edition Tyranid Biovore is possibly one of the worst offenders; despite being an artillery piece, the "barrel" is recessed into its hunchback, giving very little clue as to what it's actually supposed to be, and the way it's sculpted (along with the dingly-danglies it has for ammunition storage) makes the whole thing look more than a little obscene. Coupled with the incredibly derpy face and the fact both the 4th edition update, and more damningly the 2nd edition original, did the concept much better, makes this a candidate for "most unintentionally hilarious 40K model".

The still in production Berzerkers are a good source of parts IMO, but assembled as intended and between the off proportions (forgivable for the time but rather concerning next to newer kits), funny poses and some of the facesculpts being a bit...weird, they're kinda weak. I still think they have a place as a "bitzbox kit" but as an actual kit, definitely up there. Not helped by their somewhat amusing voicework in Dawn of War, where they sounded more irritable than berserk.

• Vykes likes this

ztbmByp.png

"Painting with this stuff is like trying to copy the Mona Lisa using Napalm." -DuskRaider on Typhus Corrosion.

"Begone foul demon Cotton Eyed Joe,

Thy grasp here faded a long time ago,

From whence did you come, there you shall go,

I seal thee away now, Cotton Eyed Joe."

The Legion of Vice- Emperor's Children and Friends!

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,571 posts

Zoanthrope.gif

• r0xAs, SickSix, Evil Eye and 2 others like this

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,820 posts

The 3rd edition Eldar Aspect warriors had some bad sculpts that were not a patch on the Jes Goodwin originals they replaced. The wooden spoon award probably has to go to the Striking Bunny Wabbits Scorpions. tongue.png

gw-99060104076-0.jpg

Oh my goodness I'd forgotten about those. They are not even on the same level as the original sculpts or the latter ones. I hope nobody takes inspiration from these monstrosities if we ever get plastic Scorpions.

• Karhedron likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,077 posts

Oh boy I could wax lyrical about this- in fact, I will do!

The old "bovine" head for the 3rd edition Keeper of Secrets always looked a bit silly to me. The model in general has somewhat grown on me, especially with the 6-horned/tentacled "starfish head" but the ol' Chaos Cow head took an already "teetering on the brink between charming and doofy" model and sent it firmly into doofy. I think part of that was the mildly confused expression, like the Keeper was going "Moo?".

The pre-3rd edition Bloodletters were always a bit derpy and some of the few old Chaos models I really didn't like much, though I do find the design concepts good (and the plastic Bloodletters IMO capture the look perfectly).

The 3rd edition Tyranid Biovore is possibly one of the worst offenders; despite being an artillery piece, the "barrel" is recessed into its hunchback, giving very little clue as to what it's actually supposed to be, and the way it's sculpted (along with the dingly-danglies it has for ammunition storage) makes the whole thing look more than a little obscene. Coupled with the incredibly derpy face and the fact both the 4th edition update, and more damningly the 2nd edition original, did the concept much better, makes this a candidate for "most unintentionally hilarious 40K model".

The still in production Berzerkers are a good source of parts IMO, but assembled as intended and between the off proportions (forgivable for the time but rather concerning next to newer kits), funny poses and some of the facesculpts being a bit...weird, they're kinda weak. I still think they have a place as a "bitzbox kit" but as an actual kit, definitely up there. Not helped by their somewhat amusing voicework in Dawn of War, where they sounded more irritable than berserk.

In agreement on all of these.

The Biovore's obscenity wasn't helped by how it was described as working in the fluff either. In fact, it just made the thing MORE obscene. Because how it's described is sounding exactly like what you think, especially combined with how it looks...

Also: The Berzerker's voice work was narmy, but hey. So was ALL the voicework in that game (BATTLE BRUVAHS! SPEHSS MAHREENS). That being said, the 'zerkers did have one of the single best quotes ever:

"THIS DRIVER IS DEAD, WE NEED A NEW ONE (insane laugh)"

• robofish7591 likes this

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,820 posts

Wasn't it the Berzerkers that convulsed wildly when idle? I thought it sounded hilarious.

• Reyner, Evil Eye and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

Melmoth

Melmoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
  • Faction: Steel Guard

second ed. tyranid warriors.  horrible.

leadmess.com - my painting and modelling blog.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,346 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Lol some of these are great! Funny and jolly.

And yet people are saying the setting is becoming less grim dark? 😜
  • El_Dicko likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

Wasn't it the Berzerkers that convulsed wildly when idle? I thought it sounded hilarious.

I think the regular Chaos Marines do that too.

Pacific81

Pacific81

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,732 posts

gw-99060104076-0.jpg

I kinda like those, though. Eldar are hard to screw up in my eyes.

Which of these would you rather have, in terms of style? The poses on the above ones are somewhat off the mark - far from looking like beautifully athletic, the one on the right looks like it should be scratching its head and farting. 

20160730_160623.jpg

Surprised we have got this far into the thread without this mini.. 

300px-Doomrider.jpg

Although I will say a lot of the time it's unfair to view classic miniatures by the same criteria as we apply to modern ones - remember that a lot of the time this was the best thing of its day (except for those Striking Scorpions and Doom Rider!)

• Magos Takatus and Vykes like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users