Funniest old 40k model?

What's the funniest model from old 40k? Before the near-complete changeover from Finecast to plastic, there were some funny sculpts out there. I'm looking into picking up the slightly derptastic previous sculpts for Plague Marines (I have a friend who's got some lying around) to flesh out my army, but what's the funniest older 40k sculpt y'all can think of? Weird proportions, funny design decisions, weird posing, etc.

"Funny" as in "comically bad"? My first vote would go to the older metal Possessed:

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Black_Legion_Possessed_Marines.gif

Just atricious sculpts, but so bad that they are funny again.

Also, Captain Cortez, just hilariously horrible:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/Cortez001.jpg

If we are talking just "funny funny", I think the Chaos Toilet has to take the crown:

http://www.solegends.info/citle1990/numbered/le17chaostoilet/le17ChaosToiletf-01.jpg

:laugh.:

The older metal Chaplain Lemartes model was quite derpy.

(the current one in finecast is on the other hand one of the coolest)

+1 to wind tunnel Lemartes. There's some derpy ones out there but this is one that was just terrible conceptually. Edited by FlamingDeth

Cortez is awful, but I kind of like the metal possessed and would pick them up if they were cheap on ebay. Its only really the two claws and horns guy whose really bad and that's because his pose is boring despite the cool talons bursting out of his breastplate that presage the details on the Dark Vengeance chosen and later kits. The rest of them are just characterful, sure they're wacky and goblin-like but whose to say that's a mistaken take on the concept. The wild hair one and the chain axe and bare torso guy are great dynamic poses for the era, the champion is kind of dull but alright and the chain-axe in the air guy with the bare leg is just kind of iffy probably due to his pose stretching the molding limitations that led to these old figures generally being un-dynamic.

The plastic possessed also have stupid cartoony faces, just with low molding quality and little charm.

Despite being a massive fanboy for 2nd edition era models, for me it would be much of the Tyranid range from that time.

Guilty secret though, I have a pack of those 5 metal CSM Possessed, still like them and hope to use them in a project one day. 

The 3rd edition Eldar Aspect warriors had some bad sculpts that were not a patch on the Jes Goodwin originals they replaced. The wooden spoon award probably has to go to the Striking Bunny Wabbits Scorpions. :tongue.:

gw-99060104076-0.jpg

Oh boy I could wax lyrical about this- in fact, I will do!

The old "bovine" head for the 3rd edition Keeper of Secrets always looked a bit silly to me. The model in general has somewhat grown on me, especially with the 6-horned/tentacled "starfish head" but the ol' Chaos Cow head took an already "teetering on the brink between charming and doofy" model and sent it firmly into doofy. I think part of that was the mildly confused expression, like the Keeper was going "Moo?".

The pre-3rd edition Bloodletters were always a bit derpy and some of the few old Chaos models I really didn't like much, though I do find the design concepts good (and the plastic Bloodletters IMO capture the look perfectly).

The 3rd edition Tyranid Biovore is possibly one of the worst offenders; despite being an artillery piece, the "barrel" is recessed into its hunchback, giving very little clue as to what it's actually supposed to be, and the way it's sculpted (along with the dingly-danglies it has for ammunition storage) makes the whole thing look more than a little obscene. Coupled with the incredibly derpy face and the fact both the 4th edition update, and more damningly the 2nd edition original, did the concept much better, makes this a candidate for "most unintentionally hilarious 40K model".

The still in production Berzerkers are a good source of parts IMO, but assembled as intended and between the off proportions (forgivable for the time but rather concerning next to newer kits), funny poses and some of the facesculpts being a bit...weird, they're kinda weak. I still think they have a place as a "bitzbox kit" but as an actual kit, definitely up there. Not helped by their somewhat amusing voicework in Dawn of War, where they sounded more irritable than berserk.

The 3rd edition Eldar Aspect warriors had some bad sculpts that were not a patch on the Jes Goodwin originals they replaced. The wooden spoon award probably has to go to the Striking Bunny Wabbits Scorpions. :tongue.:

gw-99060104076-0.jpg

Oh my goodness I'd forgotten about those. They are not even on the same level as the original sculpts or the latter ones. I hope nobody takes inspiration from these monstrosities if we ever get plastic Scorpions.

Oh boy I could wax lyrical about this- in fact, I will do!

The old "bovine" head for the 3rd edition Keeper of Secrets always looked a bit silly to me. The model in general has somewhat grown on me, especially with the 6-horned/tentacled "starfish head" but the ol' Chaos Cow head took an already "teetering on the brink between charming and doofy" model and sent it firmly into doofy. I think part of that was the mildly confused expression, like the Keeper was going "Moo?".

The pre-3rd edition Bloodletters were always a bit derpy and some of the few old Chaos models I really didn't like much, though I do find the design concepts good (and the plastic Bloodletters IMO capture the look perfectly).

The 3rd edition Tyranid Biovore is possibly one of the worst offenders; despite being an artillery piece, the "barrel" is recessed into its hunchback, giving very little clue as to what it's actually supposed to be, and the way it's sculpted (along with the dingly-danglies it has for ammunition storage) makes the whole thing look more than a little obscene. Coupled with the incredibly derpy face and the fact both the 4th edition update, and more damningly the 2nd edition original, did the concept much better, makes this a candidate for "most unintentionally hilarious 40K model".

The still in production Berzerkers are a good source of parts IMO, but assembled as intended and between the off proportions (forgivable for the time but rather concerning next to newer kits), funny poses and some of the facesculpts being a bit...weird, they're kinda weak. I still think they have a place as a "bitzbox kit" but as an actual kit, definitely up there. Not helped by their somewhat amusing voicework in Dawn of War, where they sounded more irritable than berserk.

In agreement on all of these.

The Biovore's obscenity wasn't helped by how it was described as working in the fluff either. In fact, it just made the thing MORE obscene. Because how it's described is sounding exactly like what you think, especially combined with how it looks...

Also: The Berzerker's voice work was narmy, but hey. So was ALL the voicework in that game (BATTLE BRUVAHS! SPEHSS MAHREENS). That being said, the 'zerkers did have one of the single best quotes ever:

"THIS DRIVER IS DEAD, WE NEED A NEW ONE (insane laugh)"

gw-99060104076-0.jpg

I kinda like those, though. Eldar are hard to screw up in my eyes.

Which of these would you rather have, in terms of style? The poses on the above ones are somewhat off the mark - far from looking like beautifully athletic, the one on the right looks like it should be scratching its head and farting. 

20160730_160623.jpg

Surprised we have got this far into the thread without this mini.. 

300px-Doomrider.jpg

Although I will say a lot of the time it's unfair to view classic miniatures by the same criteria as we apply to modern ones - remember that a lot of the time this was the best thing of its day (except for those Striking Scorpions and Doom Rider!)