Funniest old 40k model?

Surprised we have got this far into the thread without this mini.. 

300px-Doomrider.jpg

Although I will say a lot of the time it's unfair to view classic miniatures by the same criteria as we apply to modern ones - remember that a lot of the time this was the best thing of its day (except for those Striking Scorpions and Doom Rider!)

2SRfg7I.jpg

There is a long history of contracted designers/artists/sculptors etc being presented with a list of terrible requirements, then producing work to those requirements with the intent that it will clearly demonstrate 'your ideas are bad and you should feel bad' and allow the production of a better quality result with more time and less micromanagement. Unfortunately, it also often results in said management really liking the hideous end result that concretely demonstrates their terrible taste and running with it, leaving said designer to live with the awful concept they had a hand in releasing on the world.

There are also designers that are just really bad but don't realise it, aka the Ecce Mono principle.

This sounds more plausible to me. Also why I only did a handful of painting commissions years ago and then swore them off... some people have really terrible taste in paint jobs and it sucks to have to paint them. 

On topic, the old RT mercs were pretty silly. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only back pain. 

ycQZyiJ.png

There is a long history of contracted designers/artists/sculptors etc being presented with a list of terrible requirements, then producing work to those requirements with the intent that it will clearly demonstrate 'your ideas are bad and you should feel bad' and allow the production of a better quality result with more time and less micromanagement. Unfortunately, it also often results in said management really liking the hideous end result that concretely demonstrates their terrible taste and running with it, leaving said designer to live with the awful concept they had a hand in releasing on the world.

There are also designers that are just really bad but don't realise it, aka the Ecce Mono principle.

This sounds more plausible to me. Also why I only did a handful of painting commissions years ago and then swore them off... some people have really terrible taste in paint jobs and it sucks to have to paint them. 

On topic, the old RT mercs were pretty silly. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only back pain. 

ycQZyiJ.png

I mean, in the grim darkness of my mid thirties there is only back pain, so that adds up.

Dude, I'd love to still have some of those minis!  They were great for a post-apocalyptic gang kind of theme - especially Worldburner.