Old/OOP models better than their updates

Evil Eye

I'm going to go with Asmodai. The current one is just kind of boring, and the old one set my expectations of what the iron skull mask of interrogator chaplains was supposed to look like.

Special shout, even though I don't think he really counts, to Belial, because him not having a model at all was better than the pigeon toed nonsense they gave us, and historically converting up a Belial was a sort of right of passage for DA players.

This.

You literally said what I was going to.

MegaNobz. The plastics mimic the old ones, but just don’t have the same weight, motion or feel to them. They’re stiff and plain.

Also, and this is sort of marginal, but I’ve never liked any version of Chaos Terminators as much as their 2nd Ed incarnations. The new ones are larger, better proportioned and whatnot, but the 2nd Ed metals just oozed atmosphere, detail and baroque menace, the perfect fusion of sci-fi and barbarian effects. Still use their heads and weapons and mimic the chest cabling where I can.

Sometimes they just miss the mark (the new Typhus for example is wonderfully detailed, but the pose and presence is woeful compared to the classic figure) and other times they make sacrifices in the name of customisation (the plastic Daemon Prince has lots of options yet looks awful next to the classic Juan Diaz metal/resin DP or the metal/resin Nurgle DP).

My big one though: Raptors. The plastic Raptor kit is nice enough, but they just feel like Chaos Assault Marines, which doesn't fit with the lore of them being a creepy cult at all. The 3rd edition Raptor models were absolutely stunning, and looked appropriately warped and insidious.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Sometimes they just miss the mark (the new Typhus for example is wonderfully detailed, but the pose and presence is woeful compared to the classic figure) and other times they make sacrifices in the name of customisation (the plastic Daemon Prince has lots of options yet looks awful next to the classic Juan Diaz metal/resin DP or the metal/resin Nurgle DP).

This. I got ahold of an old Typhus and he's great. Bit small next to my Blightlords, but it's a small price to pay considering the new one looks so... ehh. Old Typhus may be a bit puny compared to modern Cataphractii models, but he remains as imposing as ever. I got him for free, so I might be a bit biased.

On a bit of an aside, there is no better time to act if you like an older sculpt than as soon as the new sculpt gets released; there's no wide demand for the old sculpts. Old metal Ahriman's going for like $15 on eBay right now (he's the cheapest of the Chaos Champions to get in old sculpt right now, possibly because he got the best new sculpt).

Old models better than new ones, eh? Well, the new Eldar Guardians, Phoenix Lords, Vyper, and multi-part plastic Avatar are just atrocious for a start. The new Drazhar and Vect are similarly bad (seriously, what were they thinking on those two?). The new Steel Legion, Vostroyans, and Rough Riders with options to represent the various popular IG regiments had great potential but fell short of the mark. 

Oh, wait... I was daydreaming for a moment there. 

I agree with most of what has already been posted, and can only thing of the IG commissars off the top of my head. There's nothing wrong with the newer ones, but they could use some more variety in the wargear. My personal favorite that I have yet to see bested by a new figure is the old power sword and power fist guy. 

OM3jK0J.png

Everything that initially came to mind has already been said, and I agree with the majority of what's been posted. I'll echo the daemonettes though because while I think the old Kasrkin looked better than the Scions do, I would be ok painting and playing with Scions. The new daemonettes though are just terrible to my eye, and actively keep me from dipping my toes into Slaanesh.

The old metal commissars (so many of the old ones were lovely, especially gaunt), the 1992 metal cadian range and the later ones with the officer clenching his fist behind his back. It has been mentioned before, but the gas mask stormies were beautiful. 

Aspect... oh wait they havent been re-done its just that they are that old the mold is going!

:p

seriously I hope that the sisters & church fanatics dont fall in to this catergory....

there's so many sculpts that could go wrong... arcos, pengines, priests, DCA, Crusaders... 

Scouts are the one thing I have absolutely refused to update. (Although the original metal missile launcher scout was an absolute travesty of a sculpt, I think he was the last one sculpted in metal, some years after the rest of the range and he is awful!)

A controversial one however is I really don't like the 4th edition Emperor's Champion. The original 25th anniversary model was a far superior look. (He actually has a tabard, as opposed to a skimpy loin cloth which looks like it's about to fall off.)

Any model that was in metal and is now in fine cast.

This. I had the misforune of painting a group of Kommandos a while back and the whole affair was excruciating. The models was absolutely covered in these small triangular pieces of resin that were difficult to spot, obscured detail to the point that it became difficult to read what that actual detals were on the model were. I missed plenty of them during cleanup so I had to cut them out during the painting and then slap undercoat down on top of them. The kit thankfully didn't have any parts that warped easily so I was lucky there. At least the metal models didn't have those millions of little gate-things and holes in the model. I don't have skill in sculpting models but you kinda have to be with old GW Finecast. I built a second batch using Forge World and Kromlech resin parts and had very little difficulties in comparison. I don't know who had the insane fever dream to turn all the metal models into resin but I hope the subsequent exorcism was successful.

I agree with most of what has already been posted, and can only thing of the IG commissars off the top of my head. There's nothing wrong with the newer ones, but they could use some more variety in the wargear. My personal favorite that I have yet to see bested by a new figure is the old power sword and power fist guy. 

OM3jK0J.png

Agreed. He's still one of the favourite minis in my collection.

The replacement plastic one isn't in the same league.

#showusyourfatcommissar

As9yBKs.jpg

-Ran

Khârn the Betrayer for me; not that I dislike the new one particularly, it's just the old one felt so characterful. There's something about it (possibly nostalgia).

I disagree. Out of the Chaos Champions, Ahriman, Abaddon and Khârn all got excellent new sculpts. Typhus' new sculpt is meh and Lucius straight-up doesn't have a new sculpt, which sucks.

I'm a Librarian Fanatic, so I own probably 15+ of various versions/conversions from various generations, and I absolute abhor the new/current model in Terminator armor. The standard Librarian with a staff is seriously lackluster minus using his bits for a conversion as well. I would take any of the Librarians from 3rd going forward over the current generation. Especially the old metal Terminator Librarian with a staff, and the series of metal libbies from the 4th and 5th ed generations. 

Obviously the Primaris model is solid, but the current Librarian line as a whole is a complete bust to me. I would say the only exception to this would be the Blood Angels Terminator Librarian with a force axe. That is a fantastic model. 

The old Metal Karskin Stomtroopers getting killed off was an absolute tragedy too. I have thought about picking up some from eBay and proxying them as Scions for Kill Team. The scions are okay, but don't hold a candle to these older models. 

Edited by Brother Eleysium

The plastic cadians, in particular their helmets but also their lasguns. This stripped them of a lot of their character. They look like toys now rather rather than real troops. If their helmets weren't that stupid bowl design I think they'd be a lot better.

I've tried editing in images doing a compare and contrast but it wont let me use jpgs. Check out the old ones here https://imgur.com/gallery/WDhJmQI

Daemon Prince. The old metal model was hands down better than the new one. Old metal Nurglings are so much better than the new ones. I'm a fan of the old Plaguebearers as well, but the new ones are nice too.

Let me add to this... Pink Horrors. The old ones were a work of art. New ones just look stupid. As has been said, Daemonettes. The new ones are nasty (not in a good way).

Edited by DuskRaider

the OG dark elder Talos.

to be honest I love all of the original dark elder stuff.

I left the hobby in 4th and when I came back in 7th and saw the  dark elder I was so upset. I don't like any of them.

ps I don't collect dark elder.

Most of the old space marine veterans models. 

The sternguard may have lacked some of the excellent bits that the plastic ones have (helms, heads, pauldrons, chainsword, that sheathed sword) but they almost always hang together as better models for not being burdened with gubbins or pinned in placed with heavy tabards. The vanguard vets were less amazing but that one sergeant with the two-handed relic blade, now that was a quality mini.

Better than both were the old veteran sergeants, repackaged and expanded on as veterans and ‘veterans mk2’. They were clearly variations on a theme and central post but they had interesting and varied equipment and armour, along with tons of character. The sashes came off as less irritating when they appeared on a sergeant in a unit of ten normal tacticals than in a whole squad. 

Above all those was that one veteran with a mace, the one with the rivets on his armour and a high collar. Fantastic model, even the way he held his mace high up the shaft was great. I don't think he ever reappeared but I've seen no lack of good heresy conversion from him.

I’d also second the daemon prince and the old commissars.

Edited by Sandlemad

I wholeheartedly agree on the sternguard vets and Calgar, even if I've warmed up to the new one a little. But, to throw my two cents in, I'm a big fan of that really old Emperor's Champion model from what I think was third edition. The model's detail has aged quite poorly - especially once you see him next to his newer incarnation - but I just love how HUGE that Black Sword is.

Above all those was that one veteran with a mace, the one with the rivets on his armour and a high collar. Fantastic model, even the way he held his mace high up the shaft was great. I don't think he ever reappeared but I've seen no lack of good heresy conversion from him.

Sandlemad, did this veteran come in any particular blister/kit, or was it an individual release? I've seen it a few times popping up in people's collections online, but I don't recall ever seeing it on sale at GW.

For me, Tiguris back in 2nd edition (and before?) is hands down superior to the current version.

Calgar, by contrast, peaked at the Terminator version. The Primaris version now is so generic. In fact if you swap the head to the helmet version it could be anyone. (I've seen this model painted in Imperial Fists colours and it fits just as well aside from like a shoulder pad)